When you play a solo - is it always advised to lift all the fingers of the fretting hand, that are not pressing a string?

I know Tom Hess advises to always lift the index finger, because it's easier if you then want to switch to a different position. But how about the other fingers - can it cause some undesired tensioning?
If you mean the fingers 'behind' the finger that's fretting, they should be touching the string, but not pressing on it. Just like when you touch the strings to play muted 'click' notes.
I don't keep my fingers fretted, unless I'm going to use them almost immediately again. I'd rather have them up and primed to be moved to the next notes.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by SideshowBob180
If you mean the fingers 'behind' the finger that's fretting, they should be touching the string, but not pressing on it. Just like when you touch the strings to play muted 'click' notes.

This almost contains the essence of what you should be looking to do when you're not using any given finger.

One thing that you need to realise: the opposite of fretting isn't lifting, it is simply not fretting. Once you realise this it's easy to see that when you're not using a given finger you don't need to lift it from the fretboard completely and deliberately but you only need to relax it so you're not actively using it any more.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
As with most of these sorts of questions, the answer is "whatever feels right for you" I know that's probably the least helpful answer ever though....

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.