Page 1 of 4
What's your least favorite type of humor or comedy? Or, what do you think are forms of comedy that require very little thought or talent?

Examples would be like slapstick humor, gag humor, satire (not always comedic though), cringe comedy, shock humor, etc.

I don't know if there's an exact word for it, but I really don't like comedy that's humor mainly comes from it's randomness. That'd be comedy from shows like Family Guy, and it's also used in kids shows a lot nowadays. The humor is essentially just coming up with something really absurd and putting it pretty much anywhere, which I think is pretty easy and not difficult at all to come up with.

I also have started to dislike comedy that's mainly just making fun of pop culture. It's fine when it's used sparingly, but even though I like South Park, my biggest problem with it is that it's basically just become a show purely about making fun of pop culture. 10 years from now, half the jokes won't make any sense if you don't remember what exactly was going on that month it was released. I really hated that Jersey Shore episode of South Park.

And I also hate cringe comedy like The Office. I actually like The Office, but I hate the cringe humor parts, mainly because I don't like the feeling of cringing, and it's not something I want to experience when I watch a show. That's why I strongly prefer Parks And Recreation.
Image macro humor, especially memes that fit the "Advice X" formula. It takes very little effort and time to think of a subject that fits the predetermined formula of something like this:

And then create the macro and post it everywhere on the internet.

Inversely though, i think memes which require critical thinking or original thought can be pretty humorous when they're done effectively. Like this for example:

Last edited by bendystraw at Jan 22, 2012,
Edit: Shit, that is cringe humor. Cringe humor, I guess.
Last edited by ChamsRock at Jan 22, 2012,
Whatever you'd class American Pie/Road Trip/the last 2 Scary Movies as. Cheap, prepubescent toilet humour?
Anything that's awkward or makes you cringe I don't tend to find funny either.
Men/women jokes. ENOUGH ALREADYYYYY

Also people getting hit/kicked in the balls. I am all for slapstick, but come on...
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by VillainousLatin
British...

British humour is the business....

( below not directed at you villain obviously)

For me it has to be american humour. When they remade the office i died a little inside and shit like 30 rock and even your TV hosts suck. American sitcoms just feel so...fake and it feels like its all been done before with your laughtracks and cliche jokes that you think are so outrageous but wouldn't even get a light chuckle in the UK because they aren't ballsy and offensive enough.
Last edited by burghUK at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by burghUK

For me it has to be american humour. When they remade the office i died a little inside and shit like 30 rock and even your TV hosts suck. American sitcoms just feel so...fake and it feels like its all been done before with your laughtracks and cliche jokes that you think are so outrageous but wouldn't even get a light chuckle in the UK because they aren't ballsy and offensive enough.
Sounds like the IT Crowd....
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by VillainousLatin
British...

I love British humor. Little Britain is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. Come Fly With Me (made by the same people) is also up there.
Stand up comedy sucks.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Jackass humour. You know seeing what you can shove up your ass and shit like that.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I loathe 'American comedy' which seems to be built around awkwardness and speaking loudly. Also, I'm with you on the random stuff. I have a friend who'll post facebook statuses like "I went outside and became a turtle with crutches who flew to the glass candy shop and had a great breakfast." That kind of shit is just so contrived.
Check out my band Disturbed
Oh and Robin Williams' stand-up, my my it's bad. And Chris Rock.....at least Robin Williams is a decent actor though. Chris Rock just never makes me laugh, ever.
Quote by ChamsRock
I love British humor. Little Britain is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. Come Fly With Me (made by the same people) is also up there.

Is this British though? I've always defined it as things like Blackadder, Porridge, Only Fools & Horses etc.
The stuff that Lucas and Walliams do take heavily from the American style.
Quote by burghUK

Oh shit bro, your country must be too edgy for us. Like ,woah, man.
Whatever Lee Evans is.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by element4433
Sounds like the IT Crowd....

aww hell naw.
"a fire , at a Sea parks?" A line like that needs a laughtrack.

What im getting at essentially is , american humour is like a thousand jokes a second, they are funny but not hilarious and quite mindless. British humour is a joke now and then but its hilarious and clever and it leaves you laughing long enough until the next side splitter arrives.
Quote by burghUK

( below not directed at you villain obviously)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhkNLHictW8&feature=related
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by Represent
The pit's humor

I came here to post your name....

I see you beat me here..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by burghUK
aww hell naw.
"a fire , at a Sea parks?" A line like that needs a laughtrack.

What im getting at essentially is , american humour is like a thousand jokes a second they are funny but not hilarious and quite mindless. British humour is a joke now and then but its hilarious and clever and it leaves you laughing long enough until the next side splitter arrives.
If you like the IT Crowd, your opinion on comedy is meaningless.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Novacane...
Whatever you class the comedy of the Big Bang Theory as.

Quite possibly the worst show I've ever seen (and I've seen Family Guy plenty of times).
Quote by StewieSwan
I loathe 'American comedy' which seems to be built around awkwardness and speaking loudly. Also, I'm with you on the random stuff. I have a friend who'll post facebook statuses like "I went outside and became a turtle with crutches who flew to the glass candy shop and had a great breakfast." That kind of shit is just so contrived.

Wut.

(Invalid img)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bc/Stoogelogo.png/300px-Stoogelogo.png
http://content.answcdn.com/main/content/img/webpics/Mel_Brooks.jpg

That's a broad generalization for a nation which has harbored some of the greatest comedic minds around.
EDIT:
I see you used quotations there, but i think if this is going to be a topic on specific forms of comedy which are of poorer quality we need to narrow it to loud and obnoxious and stop there.
Last edited by bendystraw at Jan 22, 2012,
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Comedians who just spout one liner jokes (E.g. Milton Jones, Tim Vine or Stewart Francis). I just find it so boring and disjointed
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by Controlpanel
I came here to post your name....

I see you beat me here..
Hilarious.
I think there's a difference between disliking shows that happen to be sitcoms, and disliking sitcoms. Sometimes I wanna say "I can't stand sitcoms" but then I remember...

Page 1 of 4