Are there any issues involved with making a pickguard out of aluminum?
Like, any type of grounding problem or shorting the circuit out?
Cusp of Magic
I wouldn't think so isn't shielding foil aluminum? I have also seen many metal topped guitars, so it shouldnt be an issue.
What the hell!!!
As long as its not touching any other metal, it will be fine.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
You should ground it, it'll block some hum if you do. IIRC duosonics have that kind of thing going on.
It'll be touching the mounting screws for the pickups... but, the back of it is vynyl. So maybe i should sand it down to metal in the control area, kind of how most pickguards are were theres a piece of foil taped on?
Cusp of Magic
If when you touch the p/u mounting screws, buzz goes away, they are grounded. I'm pretty sure they are but I don't have a guitar with me atm to test on. If the screws are grounded and they touch the pickguard, then the pickguard will be grounded and there's no need to get rid of the vinyl backing.
Quote by FearMyLightning
Aluminum doesn't even conduct electricity.

Aluminium is a good thermal and electrical conductor, having 59% the conductivity of copper, both thermal and electrical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum

I'd quote my mass production technology textbook if I had it with me, but you could not be more wrong. Supremely uneducated post sir.
Quote by &baconstrips
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum

I'd quote my mass production technology textbook if I had it with me, but you could not be more wrong. Supremely uneducated post sir.

What the fuck it has never conducted electricity for me and I've never been told that it did.

Edit: Oh it's NONMAGNETIC that's where I got confused lol.
Surprise! It does! Maybe you were using some kind of alloy which negates aluminum's conductive properties.

Edit: alright, no problem lol
Aluminum.............lol.....took me awhile to understand it was the American "version" of aluminium.

Why America? Why? :rhetorical question, don't be a smart-ass and answer"
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Alright TS, you won't get magnetic interference with it. You should get it anodized black, cux it looks coo.
Quote by FearMyLightning

Quote by FearMyLightning
Oh it's NONMAGNETIC that's where I got confused lol.

That looks badass. How did you cut the shape out though? I'd assume you can't use a regular cutting torch on aluminum.
Looks cheap.

Sorry
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Looks cheap.

Sorry

That's because it is cheap.
It's vinyl/aluminum house siding, I cut most of it with ordinary scissors, but this is all I can do until I get some durable black plastic.
Cusp of Magic
Aluminium*

Nice guitar, though.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
honestly it doesn't look good. if you like it thats what is important, but it doesn't look good. you can find precut aluminum pickguards on ebay. i don't think they are that expensive. i bought a carbon fiber one off of there to put on my (technically) first guitar. squier strat, it actually looks good. and no i don't like it on cars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Adding a (proper) metal pickguard will make your tone a bit brighter. Bear that in mind.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by FearMyLightning

i know you know now, and have no interest in beating a dead horse, but just an FYI, when the price of copper was higher (it went really high in the states for a while and still is up there, more people were using CCA (IIRC that is the right name) which means copper clad aluminum. basically they would increase the amount of strands in the wire and had similar enough conductance to copper to do most things, although it isn't the most ideal.

however that was only possible when using stranded wire. if you needed solid core, you payed out the ass.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i know you know now, and have no interest in beating a dead horse, but just an FYI, when the price of copper was higher (it went really high in the states for a while and still is up there, more people were using CCA (IIRC that is the right name) which means copper clad aluminum. basically they would increase the amount of strands in the wire and had similar enough conductance to copper to do most things, although it isn't the most ideal.

however that was only possible when using stranded wire. if you needed solid core, you payed out the ass.

Yeah you know we already cleared this like 10 posts up?

Aluminum is non-magnetic, that's where I got confused. I just never heard/seen it being used to conduct electricity either. And I assumed that since it was nonmagnetic that it didn't conduct electricity.
Buy A Dremmel
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
^or a file , wire wheel, steel wool. you should get a pretty nice finish with it.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Metal pickguards help with guitars tone, really. The brass ones are the best looking, then you have Aluminum . Check this site www.metalpickguards.com

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
There is one simple way to stop all the problems of trying to upgrade for whatever reason,,,,
spend a couple of thousand on purchasing your new guitar & the mods you do loose you resale value
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
You only mod a keeper... xD

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Two of my guitars have aluminum pickguards. Fender has been using them since the early '60s (gold anodized).

Aluminium pickguards = great.

Guitars made out of aluminium = the best
I'm not even biased

ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by stormin1155

Its a bit off topic, but do you have any more pics of this? It looks killer.
couple of my guitars have metal picguard lol

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!