http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8959759/jazz.mp3

I made an intro that's based off the golden ratio (1.61803398...)..

The rhythms go 6/8 to 1/8 to 8/8 to 3/8 (x2) to 9/8 to 8/8, then it restarts. Just a weird little thing I made the other day.. what do you think?

Also, will C4C as always
I think that it is a really good idea! Nice rhythms! Congratulations! The only thing I don't like is maybe your tone, but it's only a personal opinion!

If you have a minute, could you check out my last video and tell me what do you think? Cheers https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28987496
Last edited by 15MetalRocker at Jan 22, 2012,
I actually thought the tone was fine. However I think the percussion could use some more interesting fills. Add in a few tom or ride hits for ornamentation or a snare crescendo. There are plenty of things. Otherwise I thought it was very enjoyable. You should also try applying maths from a melodic/harmonic perspective. Trust me, you'll get some interesting results.

I have a mathematical composition on my profile called Melodia Mathematica that uses a geometric series for the first theme and chord progression. I've since used Mathematical Induction and Calculus to vary said Intro but I haven't recorded those parts yet.
@HaydenHohns Sounds interesting, I'll go take a look. I've always been interested in how music was related to math (other than frequencies) so I'll definitely try some other things out. Do you have any ideas/advice about how to use it in a melodic sense?

I'm actually studying series in calculus right now so I'll be interested to see when you upload the other parts .

@15MetalRocker, do you have a link to the video?
AHH yes i love this sort of experiment. conceptual writing, where you arent really sure what is gonna happen is neat. GOOD JOB .

the playing is nice, and I too actually like the tone = )

The drums sort of slack a little, like, for such a cool and rhythmic idea they could be more meaty and stuff.

otherwise I really encourage you to keep going.

c4c
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512298
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Well I started off with a geometric sequence that appealed to me. These values could be a diatonic or chromatic representation. I use chromatic representation for melodies/scale construction and diatonic for chord progressions. Then use mathematical induction to work out the formula of your sequence. Then for melodic variation/musical development you can differentiate or integrate this formula (However many times it suits). That's what I've done so far. Now I'm working on the variation of the original theme. I've attached the notation as a GP5 file if that suits you.

I'll be studying Maths or Physics this year (Can't decide at the moment). I'm probably leaning more to Maths because I'm better at it.
Attachments:
2nd Alternate Melodia Mathematica.gp5
That's actually a really cool idea.... So you just plugged numbers into n^2 -2n + 1? Where does the integration and differentiation come into play?
Yeah, plugging in numbers is where the initial melodic sequence came from. I haven't done those parts yet but the same concept applies. Integrate and differentiate, then plug in numbers. Although you'll need to do something that I call "re-octavisation". Which is essentially finding the remainder after being divided by the biggest number that is a multiple of twelve. Then your whole remainders (Must be less than 12) are the number of semitones away from your root note. For example if your number was 146. Dividing that number by 12 would leave you with 2 remainders. Hence your first note would be one tone away from the root/starting position.