Hey, so i found a deal on a gibson melody maker ( the 2011 model ) with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge... That guitar sells for about 475 euro on thomann and i found someone selling it for 280 in mint condition. Im not necessarily considering buying it, i just wanna know if its even worth checking out.

My question is: what tones should i be expecting? Is it gonna be overly bright because of the maple body and the JB? whats your general opinion on the guitar?

My amp is a Marshall Haze 40 and i'll playing mostly rock, hard rock, even blues and reggae.

Thanks

EDIT: i found out that the guitar is a 2010 mahogany model rather than the 2011 maple.. i guess that changes pretty much everything i could use a little bit of help! whats your general opinion?
I am a signature.
Last edited by Siandos.BCRich at Jan 23, 2012,
I haven't played the new Melody Makers, but I love the older model with the P90. It's a great straightforward guitar, in my opinion. Play it and judge for yourself.
will do man! btw what do you mean exactly by saying "having anything in maple would be ear piercing"? you mean the combination of JB and maple?
I am a signature.
Quote by redandwhite12
IMO It sounds kinda gross. I think having everything in maple would be ear piercing but thats just me. But none the less check it out and play it. Also if you do post what you thought of it.

Wow.

Such an ignorant post...

EDIT: Go ahead OP. Melody makers are solid guitars. The 2011 Special Edition ones are better than the normal ones they've been putting out, and the JB will sound right for rock/blues. Might be a bit full for reggae, though.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by kangaxxter
Wow.

Such an ignorant post...

EDIT: Go ahead OP. Melody makers are solid guitars. The 2011 Special Edition ones are better than the normal ones they've been putting out, and the JB will sound right for rock/blues. Might be a bit full for reggae, though.

I'm not saying they're bad its just they don't appeal to me. I just feel like all maple would be overly bright. But im not saying he shouldn't get it its just what i think. Personally i like the tone of the older melody makers. The mahoghany + single coil deal.

They might sound great IDK but im just saying this is what i think and that he should try one before just like any other guitar or peice of gear for that matter.
Quote by Siandos.BCRich
will do man! btw what do you mean exactly by saying "having anything in maple would be ear piercing"? you mean the combination of JB and maple?

I dunno i just think something entirely of maple would be overly bright and trebly this is what most people seem to think. That being said i have never played an all maple guitar. Maple is usually known as a very bright tone wood is all. Might sound great might not the only way to know will be to try it and i encourage you to do so.
Thanks guys, you've been very helpful. Anyone with experience on the guitar?
I am a signature.
For "blues and reggae", I wouldn't use a JB. It's a very bright pickup and the maple Melody Makers are very bright guitars. Maple with pickups like the JB was a really popular combination in the 80s, but that was when people were trying to get really cutting lead shred tones out of amps based on the Plexi design. Solid maple has never been terribly popular for lower-gain music and the JB was always intended as a hard rock pickup even with 250k pots, let alone the 500k pots the Melody Maker will have.

For that price it's still a bargain, but I'd bank on changing the pickup to something a little tamer and smoother. Either that or get used to rolling the treble and presence knobs on your amp a bit further back than you usually do, unless you happen to have a very warm-sounding amp to begin with.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Guys i just found out that the guitar isn't a 2011 melody maker, it's a 2010 mahogany body and the guy who previously owned it installed a seymour duncan JB in it!

Sorry to bug you again, but i know nothing about mahogany body guitars or the JB and i'd like to hear some opinions! Again, the subject is what tones should i be expecting, music styles and if it will suit rock, hard rock, reggae and blues!

So sorry and thanks guys!
I am a signature.