HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

Going to take part in a Lion Dance soon!

The New Lunar Year is today!

I was going to add a poll with the Zodiac Animals but there are 12 animals - UG has a limit of 10 poll options unfortunately.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by StewieSwan
新年快乐!

What. A. Poser.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
cool

i like celebrating stuff

...i dont have anything to celebrate with....nothing to take to celebrate...

how do you celebrate sober? and alone...
I haz gotten gud
I'm going to celebrate with some shark fin and dog soup.
Quote by ApatheticMe
cool

i like celebrating stuff

...i dont have anything to celebrate with....nothing to take to celebrate...

how do you celebrate sober? and alone...

I don't think you do. Celebrate like I am. Sitting at home, eating toast, and posting on The Pit.
Too bad I'm too old to receive all the red envelopes. I used to net $200+ every chinese new year
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
shin nien kwei le ~ !!

got a hair cut, had some good food tonight, got $200 from my parents and another $200 in petro canada gas card. i was just laying on my bed listening to bach's violin sonatas with a bottle of champagne for an hour on the phone with my girlfriend but not listening to her

now that's how you spend chinese new year
Quote by piratemetalhead
shin nien kwei le ~ !!

got a hair cut, had some good food tonight, got $200 from my parents and another $200 in petro canada gas card. i was just laying on my bed listening to bach's violin sonatas with a bottle of champagne for an hour on the phone with my girlfriend but not listening to her

now that's how you spend chinese new year

Fuckin' right on.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Harmonius
I was going to add a poll with the Zodiac Animals but there are 12 animals - UG has a limit of 10 poll options unfortunately.

Monkey rules all.

Red packets are the greatest, pity none of my relatives live close by
Goddamn chinese people taking over the world and imposing this bullshit on us.

*shakes fist between sips of american beer*
Quote by ninnipinni93
Goddamn chinese people taking over the world and imposing this bullshit on us.

*shakes fist between sips of american beer*

Well, it's just like Western New Year except that we believe it's more accurate to celebrate the New Lunar Year on the second lunar new moon which is why the date for Chinese New Year always changes.
Whether you like it or not, Chinese New Year will always be shoved down your throat due to the significant Chinese populations in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Korea, Indonesia, Thailand, Phillipines and Vietnam.

There's a festival parade going on atm in Central but I can't be asked to go so I'm just watching it on TV atm. I had fun this year - watched a Lion Dance and played on various percussive instruments to a Lion Dance. Really fun
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I got $400 this year! Yay for parents who are turning Chinese and rich neighbors >_>

Surprisingly, my favorite part isn't the money, but tossing the yusheng. It's so fun! I don't know if other people do it though, I've only heard of it in Singapore. And pineapple tarts are so nommy :3

Water rooster ftw
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I got $400 this year! Yay for parents who are turning Chinese and rich neighbors >_>

Surprisingly, my favorite part isn't the money, but tossing the yusheng. It's so fun! I don't know if other people do it though, I've only heard of it in Singapore. And pineapple tarts are so nommy :3

Water rooster ftw

Turning Chinese, I think they're turning Chinese, I really think so!
This will start a RIOT! in me
Quote by Paramore.
Turning Chinese, I think they're turning Chinese, I really think so!

cat
Quote by guitarxo

Water rooster ftw

I got $340HKD from my family so far - not really bothered about Li Sei to be perfectly honest. It's enough that I get to spend New Years with my family.

Quote by Jesse Clarkson
There's always a huge celebration near where I live but I've never bothered going. I normally go to lantern fest though which is entertaining.

Anyway, gong xi fa cai, etc. etc.

Now for some music. Haha, I love this song.

Hi. Wish I could listen but I'm on USB Wireless Internet and I'm afraid it will drain out my usage - got another $300HKD left but not sure how much it'll take out of my limit but this song is playing everywhere for the New Year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-QIQkqKohw

Not the specific Twins version but I've heard this song at least 10 times by different artists in the car on the radio, on tv and on the streets - it's rather annoying but it's still very catchy. It's a compilation of several Chinese traditional New Year songs. If it sounds anything remotely to what you linked to, well, I guess it's nothing new.

Happy New Year! Happy New Year! Catching a flight to London tomorrow morning, 8am - sucks a lot that I have to go back to work on Thursday
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jan 23, 2012,
Year of the lóng, bitchees.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
This is pretty bad... There's one or two parts which are okay I guess, but what I linked is far superior. Don't worry about it though, it's just typical Chinese NY music.

You seemed to have abandoned your c-pop group-page-thing?

At least you have a job, right? I've still got another month before I'm back at uni. Life is good (for now).

LOL! It's not that bad. It's certainly catchy for me but the traditional ones are less upbeat (just with the singing). I took part part in a percussive lion dance today in town but I missed my local lion dance - oh well...maybe next year and I even had an invitation to join .

I have a job, yeah but I guess it's just the thought of going back to work after New Years which is really depressing.

I know I've yet to update the C-Pop page but I'm getting feelings that nobody actually goes there anyway. I've got tons of more suggestions though but it seems more people don't really like pop music as much as I do

Quote by Kensai
Year of the lóng, bitchees.

Not sure how that's pronunced in Western Romanticisation but in Chinese it's, "Loong"
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
Not sure how that's pronunced in Western Romanticisation but in Chinese it's, "Loong"

Yeah it's pronounced like loong, or lóng in pinyin is how I learned it. Or
Quote by Kensai
Yeah it's pronounced like loong, or lóng in pinyin is how I learned it. Or

Screw PinYin - hate it, it doesn't even sound right. Also, quit with the simplified Chinese text! It's 龍, , , , , 龍!!
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

祝你們新年快樂!

^ Also, yes. Pinyin is completely stupid, and I was taught for 4 years on traditional Chinese. I come to university, and suddenly everything is simplified. Sucks.
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Jan 23, 2012,
I can't remember that, it's easier with pinyin
Quote by Rockford_rocks
^ Also, yes. Pinyin is completely stupid, and I was taught for 4 years on traditional Chinese. I come to university, and suddenly everything is simplified. Sucks.

A problem with learning chinese is that it has so many forms. I'm doing pinyin and mostly simplified, but also some traditional. It'd just be easier if there was one form.
Well, most Chinese know at least 2 different types of dialect (most commonly, Mandarin, Cantonese and Hokkien) - I know 3, personally (Cantonese, Mandarin and Hakka). Most of them are mutually intelligible in the sense that the writing will always be the same (similar and traditional differences just means that simplified text has fewer brush strokes than the traditional on some words so you can read most of what it says regardless of whether it's written in traditional or simplified - takes a bit of getting use to though).

- China and Singapore speak mostly Mandarin with some regional dialects depending on where you go, most commonly Hakka
- Hong Kong speaks mostly Cantonese
- Taiwan speaks mostly Mandarin but in some regions speak Hakka and Hokien
- Malaysia speaks a mix of Mandarin, Hokkien and Cantonese
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤