straight to the point, i got the money to get the peavey 6505+ and mesa rectifier 2 x 12 cab. but before i started to buy them, i noticed how loud they can get. i plan on using them for gigs eventually, but in the meantime there going to be in my bedroom. right now im playing a 30 watt peavey vypyr that doesnt go past 2 on the volume.

you think i'd be able to pull this off? how loud would that setup be at its lowest?

edit:

im getting it, **** this
Last edited by hallaatyaboi at Jan 23, 2012,
Very loud.
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
I have a Marshall DSL100 and a 4X12 cab. It is still good for quiet playing, although for any tube amp it'll sound better loud. I'd say go for it.

You don't always need to crank it, you know.

EDIT: I didn't realize it was louder than I thought. Maybe you should hold off and get it as a gig amp later on.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Last edited by GunsNSnakepits at Jan 22, 2012,
If by bedroom volume you mean not pissing off other people you live with, You're not even going to get the volume up to 2. If you really want that as a rig, maybe think about getting an attentuator.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Lol.. a 120 watt head for your bedroom? A 15 watt amp could do way WAY more than fill up a bedroom. 120 watts is almost twice as loud as that. Unless you are planning on doing large/outdoor gigs, i'm guessing you shouldn't go with that setup. Just get the 60 watt combo. It will still be very loud for a bedroom, but it will be more manageable and you can still gig with 60 watts. IMO, don't go with the 120w. Think about how hard it is to get the perfect volume on your 30 watt amp. It will be ~1.25x as difficult as that.
Oh, and @above me,
apparently attenuators suck tone... or do they?
Quote by StratR96
Lol.. a 120 watt head for your bedroom? A 15 watt amp could do way WAY more than fill up a bedroom. 120 watts is almost twice as loud as that. Unless you are planning on doing large/outdoor gigs, i'm guessing you shouldn't go with that setup. Just get the 60 watt combo. It will still be very loud for a bedroom, but it will be more manageable and you can still gig with 60 watts. IMO, don't go with the 120w. Think about how hard it is to get the perfect volume on your 30 watt amp. It will be ~1.25x as difficult as that.
Oh, and @above me,
apparently attenuators suck tone... or do they?

Really depends on the attenuator in question. Most of them just act like a master volume, but some can color the tone. From what I heard they tend to make everything sound darker and more compressed.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
its much too loud, unless your going to be playing extremely large gigs, you wont be needing anything more than 40 - 50 watts. even 40 watts can get very loud for bedroom levels. too get a good sound from any tube amp, it should be higher than 5. imho, go with something 20 - 40 watts. If its too small for gigs, theres always a PA system.
Don't buy the 120 watt head. There are better options out there around that kind of money.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
if thats the sound you want, buy it and use the volume knob. no amp in the 20-40 watt range will sound like that amp.
maybe you can put it in the loungeroom or kitchen and play in the bedroom? then you can crank it.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by hallaatyaboi
right now im playing a 30 watt peavey vypyr that doesnt go past 2 on the volume.

hmmm.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Greenys got the right idea xD. You could always put it in a closet.

Depends how tolerant the people you live with are too. Ive gotten away with playing my 150 watt (solid state) sunn concert lead thru my massive ampeg 4x12 in my room at pretty loud volumes (bedroom wise anyway)

That being said you dont need that much wattage. 40- 50 is more than enough for gigging, unless you need alot of clean headroom.

Rokket has a good point too tho.
Quote by rokket2005
if thats the sound you want, buy it and use the volume knob. no amp in the 20-40 watt range will sound like that amp.

This.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Practice with Vypyr, gig with 6505. Done.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by rokket2005
THIS ABSOLUTELY!

Seriously, what are half the people in this thread smoking? You don't HAVE to blast the shit out of an amp to get a good sound, ESPECIALLY a 6505. Really, the volume knob ACTUALLY WORKS, believe it or not. I can operate my 100w head + 4x12 cab JUST FINE at a bedroom volume, and sounds great. Sure it sounds better loud, but that's more from my ears perceiving it differently.

If the amp gives you the perfect sound at the volume you will often be using it at, then by all means get it. Don't let wattage limit you. Hell, a 10w tube amp probably won't even go past 2 in your bedroom.

Who gives a shit if you aren't using it to it's full potiental? I stated this in another thread and I'll state it here: my PC has a quad-core CPU in it, but am I using it to perform advanced rocket science calculations for the federal gov't 24/7? No.

Don't listen to the idiots saying "120 WATTS IS WAYYY TOOO LOUUDDD!!!111"; you stated you plan on gigging in the near future, go ahead and get the amp if you really want it. It will sound fine at bedroom volumes when it's in your bedroom.

Actually, being paired with a Mesa cab it should sound great. By all means get it.

...And people are actually recommending attenuators for a 6505.

By the way, don't get an attenuator to go with that amp. You'll be wasting your money bigtime. 6505 relies primarily on the preamp for it's overdrive.
i am sure between all of my amps that i have a 1,000 watts. obviously i don't run them at once. there is a volume knob for a reason. it wont sound as good as it would turned up, but it will be fine.

i set my Dual terror on the 7 watt mode and play at two or three its loud enough to wake up the house. watts don't work like you think they do.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Ian_the_fox
THIS ABSOLUTELY!

Seriously, what are half the people in this thread smoking? You don't HAVE to blast the shit out of an amp to get a good sound, ESPECIALLY a 6505. Really, the volume knob ACTUALLY WORKS, believe it or not. I can operate my 100w head + 4x12 cab JUST FINE at a bedroom volume, and sounds great. Sure it sounds better loud, but that's more from my ears perceiving it differently.

If the amp gives you the perfect sound at the volume you will often be using it at, then by all means get it. Don't let wattage limit you. Hell, a 10w tube amp probably won't even go past 2 in your bedroom.

Who gives a shit if you aren't using it to it's full potiental? I stated this in another thread and I'll state it here: my PC has a quad-core CPU in it, but am I using it to perform advanced rocket science calculations for the federal gov't 24/7? No.

Don't listen to the idiots saying "120 WATTS IS WAYYY TOOO LOUUDDD!!!111"; you stated you plan on gigging in the near future, go ahead and get the amp if you really want it. It will sound fine at bedroom volumes when it's in your bedroom.

Actually, being paired with a Mesa cab it should sound great. By all means get it.

...And people are actually recommending attenuators for a 6505.

By the way, don't get an attenuator to go with that amp. You'll be wasting your money bigtime. 6505 relies primarily on the preamp for it's overdrive.

i agree totally. there are a few amps that really can't be played quietly and sound good (for example the splawns) they almost sound like an MG until they are louder than TV volume or Bedroom volume. but that isn't what you buy one for. i played a 6505 a few days ago, actually tested the volume specifically just to evaluate it a little bit. it will sound good at low volumes. as Ian says you get your gain from the preamp in the 6505. now if it were a JTM45 and you were looking for bedroom levels and wanting overdrive, thats not going to happen. well it could, but i don't think anybody would be overly happy. it relies on its overdrive from the power tubes (also that is what attenuatator is meant for).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by greeny23
maybe you can put it in the loungeroom or kitchen and play in the bedroom? then you can crank it.

This is another viable solution. Just invest in a wireless system and never plan on adjusting the settings on the amp.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by greeny23
depends how big the bedroom is.

Perfect answer. I would just like to add, if you can afford a full stack, just go with that. I had one in my bedroom when I was young and I LOVED it! Your neighbors will love you too! Let em hear those amazing melodies from miles around! Your bedroom will be like the rocks upon which the sirens would sing irresistible songs to unfortunate Greek sailors!
If you usually play with the 30w vypyr @ 2, then yeah the 6505+ 2x12 cab should be fine. If you were wanting to do TV listening volumes or lower, then I'd say no. My rig sounds muffled and lifeless until the lead channel's volume hits about 3/4 of 1. And at that point, it'll start drowning out the tv pretty easily.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Perfectly fine. The gain on the 6505 is from the preamp, keep the master level low. An attenuator is just a plain dumb idea.

You can also do excellent home recordings by running the FX loop output into your PC and using cab responses.

If you're expecting to be gigging/jamming in the future, that setup is great. It's not worth the money for home use alone, but can certainly sound decent enough at low volume to keep you going until you start gigging.
My bad on recommending an attentuator I didn't really ever think about the fact that they work on the power section and now that I'm thinking about it duhhh... (never actually used one just have heard good things). Knowing that now an attentuator would not be way to good for this type of amp.

Also just to clarify, you can easily pull off this but from my experience with my 60 watt combo playing really quiet is not enjoyable because it sounds very grainy and compressed. Its not that bad just my way of describing it, but it will definitely sound much better once you get the volume past 1.5. The amp definitely sounds best with the volume between 3-4 but even my 6505 combo is pretty loud when turned up that much, I rarely ever turn it past 5 even with a full band.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Jan 23, 2012,
Quote by rokket2005

word
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rokket2005

Have you heard the Orange Dark Terror? That thing cranked is crazy. Gain is all about tube saturation and volume. It doesn't matter how many watts the amp is, what matters is how hard the preamp and power tubes are pushed.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.