I've been thinking. Is it normal for my thumb to brush off of the strings a little when playing.

It hasn't really been a concern for me because it basically mutes and grounds the strings so I can play pretty cleanly like it. This way, my fingers are muting the string(s) below the one(s) I'm currently playing, whilst my thumb mutes the one(s) above the string(s) I'm playing.

But I wonder, is it a bad habit? Should I hold my wrist and plectrum in a way that only the pick comes into contact with the strings?
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
I used to face the same problem, to the extent where the bit of skin that was in contact with the strings was actually pretty banged up. It just kind of wore off when I started trying to economy pick. I guess it is a bit of a bad habit, but less damaging to your sound than it is to your thumb itself.
Doesn't actually hurt my thumb tbh.

I'm a lefty playing righty, so I've really worked on controlling my pick hand to be as gentle as possible. It used to be as aggressive as a hammer

So, I guess I should just let my thumb rest against the strings the way they are?
Btw, I've actually gone back to alternative picking now. I used to be really big on economy picking, but it felt like cheating. Plus, I felt like it was kind of restrictive at times and made my rhythm abit worse. But I use both styles anyway.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
thats not a bad habit at all. thats actually how you are suppose to play. I take lessons with tom hess and that is what he recommends and your thumb should be touching the lower strings slightly. the majority of the pressure for the picking hand should be between the thumb and the fatty part under the thumb. Not very much pressure should be used tho
Ah thx. I was worried I was doing it wrong all along.

We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat