I'm looking to buy a new amp, my previous amp just bit the dust.

I am looking for something for around $200-400, with enough wattage to play for moderately sized parties, but tame enough to practice in my apartment.

I play a lot of classic rock and blues and a lot of RHCP style funk rock. I do from time to time get on a metal kick (maiden, dream theater, and some melodic metal) , so needless to say something with a wide range of tones and pedal friendly. I really like tube amps, but after looking at prices they are probably out of my price range.

I have a custom Jackson with a floyd rose bridge and duncan pickups that I play the most, and my secondary guitar is a PRS SE.

I've been out of the amp market for awhile now and with technology changing so fast I really want to get my money's worth because I won't be buying another for a long time. I don't mind used amps if it's a good deal, but I would rather something new.

Thanks!
I own a Line 6 Spyder IV (15 watts). It's a pretty run-of-the-mill amp, but it gets everything done pretty well, especially for a non-tube amp (those things cost quite a bit).
Apart from a slightly twangy clean sound (which can be modified) the crunch setting as well as the distortion settings fit everything from Opeth to Chuck Berry. It can also get pretty loud if the need arises. Set me back about $180, but that was over a year and a half ago and it was a package deal (I forgot what the original price was). Still use it as my primary amp.
You can afford a PRS SE yet you can only spend $400 on an amp. . .
I'd recommend a Vox AC4TV and some good pedals.
"I wanted water but I'll walk through the fire"
The PRS was heavily discounted because I bought it through Paul Reed Smith himself, he happened to own a Victorian style vacation home across the street from me a few years ago. Is the vox amp you suggested loud enough for what I need? I'm not very educated about tube amps I just love the sound (who doesn't).
It's loud enough if you don't need pristine clean.
music = happiness

THAT IS IRRELEVANT TO THE CONVERSATION... unless you want to make it relevant
Quote by neednewamp1111
The PRS was heavily discounted because I bought it through Paul Reed Smith himself, he happened to own a Victorian style vacation home across the street from me a few years ago. Is the vox amp you suggested loud enough for what I need? I'm not very educated about tube amps I just love the sound (who doesn't).

I......hate......you.....

The AC4 is loud enough for a "party", ie. in a single room that's not too big. You'd be able to get a clean sound with that. I've used it for a small gig-like setting and it was clean enough.

Maybe a used AC15 if you like vox cleans?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I read up a little on the VoxAC4TV, it looks really nice from what I can tell by reading reviews and specs, just a little quieter than what I was looking for. My previous amp was around 25 watts and was too quiet, are tube amps significantly louder?
Quote by JKHC
I......hate......you.....

The AC4 is loud enough for a "party", ie. in a single room that's not too big. You'd be able to get a clean sound with that. I've used it for a small gig-like setting and it was clean enough.

Maybe a used AC15 if you like vox cleans?

Lol I hate myself, at the time I was too young to fully realize the significance of Paul Reed Smith, I was just stoked I got a sick guitar for cheap...

I'm not really partial to any brands, I really like the classic Marshall sound, but I don't have 2 grand to drop on a Marshall tube.
Well, if 25w solid state was too quiet, 4 watts tube will still be pretty quiet.

Get a used AC15 or Blues Jr or something of the sort.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by stealstrings
Roland Cube 40XL?

I've honestly never heard a Roland amp is there a more mainstream brand that you could compare the sound and tone quality to?
Roland is pretty mainstream in the "small modeling amp category". But do you want a tube amp or a modeling one?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Well, if 25w solid state was too quiet, 4 watts tube will still be pretty quiet.

Get a used AC15 or Blues Jr or something of the sort.

I just looked the AC15 up is it possible to find the amp for around $3-400? The cheapest used model I saw was around $735 for the custom classic, and $449 for the Valve Reactor model. $449 is not bad, but the amp is a "split tube" amp and I'm not really sure how that changes the tone.
Quote by JKHC
Roland is pretty mainstream in the "small modeling amp category". But do you want a tube amp or a modeling one?

I'm looking for a tube amp, or a solid state that has a really full bodied tone if what I'm looking for is out of my price range. I just commented on streelstrings suggestion, but I have a feeling he may have been trolling.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC15C1?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=AC15C1&SID=0&zmam=89202644&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=AC15C1

Find a used version of that ^^ one. It should be within budget and you should be able to find a few locally on CL/whathaveyou.

But there are many other good amps in that price range. The Fender and Vox won't do metal too well.

For that (and RHCP etc.) I'd say go for a jet city 20w.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2112RC-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-583601-i2347037.gc

Also available as a head w/cab for the same price but it doesn't have reverb.
And if you're buying from sweetwater please call and tell them ....... sent you

Kidding.....

Seriously.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC15C1?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=AC15C1&SID=0&zmam=89202644&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=AC15C1

Find a used version of that ^^ one. It should be within budget and you should be able to find a few locally on CL/whathaveyou.

But there are many other good amps in that price range. The Fender and Vox won't do metal too well.

For that (and RHCP etc.) I'd say go for a jet city 20w.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2112RC-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-583601-i2347037.gc

Also available as a head w/cab for the same price but it doesn't have reverb.
And if you're buying from sweetwater please call and tell them ....... sent you

Kidding.....

Seriously.

The jet city looks really nice, do you recommend the reverb or the separate cab/head model? Is there any difference in sound aside from lack of reverb?

I've been playing guitar for almost 10 years now, but I'm a total novice when it comes to buying amplification equipment so I appreciate the help, thanks bro.
The head/cab looks cooler....but that's about it. If you're playing RHCP, IMO a bit of reverb is a must.

I'd say get the combo unless you have a reverb pedal or are planning to buy a head later on.

But others should come up with some more options for you. I don't have that much experience with amps, I've tried most of the popular, cheap amps.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Apeavey classic 30 meets all your requirements but may be a bit loud for an apartment
Guitars:
'95 MIM black label strat
'99 MIM telecaster
'05 Squier bullet hardtail
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
'94 Peavey Classic 30 w/WGS ET65 + 2x12
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
Quote by neednewamp1111
I'm looking for a tube amp, or a solid state that has a really full bodied tone if what I'm looking for is out of my price range. I just commented on streelstrings suggestion, but I have a feeling he may have been trolling.

Sorry I wasn't trolling. It's just I heard it was a good amp. I've never played though....*feels like an idiot.*

You could always look up reviews on youtube.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by John.Garcia33
Apeavey classic 30 meets all your requirements but may be a bit loud for an apartment

I honestly don't really care all that much about the amp being too loud, I just wanted to explain that I'm looking for something I can do small gigs with, but I can also use as a practice amp. Would you say the peavey classic is significantly better than the jet city model mentioned before? It's almost double the cost, which I'd be willing to spend if it's really a significant gain in tone quality and not just volume.
I've never tried jet city. If you can get a used classic 30 that would be the best thing. I got mine 250 bucks. they usually sell for about 300 bucks used and come up quite often.

I use mine for practicing in my room with no problems. of course the louder it is the better it sounds but it sounds great in my room. It can also compete with drums on 4-5 on the volume.
Guitars:
'95 MIM black label strat
'99 MIM telecaster
'05 Squier bullet hardtail
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
'94 Peavey Classic 30 w/WGS ET65 + 2x12
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
Quote by John.Garcia33
I've never tried jet city. If you can get a used classic 30 that would be the best thing. I got mine 250 bucks. they usually sell for about 300 bucks used and come up quite often.

I use mine for practicing in my room with no problems. of course the louder it is the better it sounds but it sounds great in my room. It can also compete with drums on 4-5 on the volume.

Thanks for the info, that sounds about what I'm looking for. I'll probably see if I can find both the jet city model and the classic 30 in a local shop and see which one I like better.