So i am looking at getting a HD500 here soon, but im really curious, i have seen video reviews, and to me it looks like alot of guys arent plugging it into an amp at all... i've seen things about using a power amp, or plugging into a PA system directly, so my question is if you can just run it into the effects loop of your amp? would it still sound just as good as anywhere else?

Please reply! thank you!
The speaker cab will affect the tone, but yea, you can use it well on its own or with an amp.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yes and yes. The HD500 has a few different modes, such as going direct, going into the front of an amp, going into the FX, or both (called the 4 cable method).

Extremely versatile unit. GREAT effects, great clean and mid gain tones, and alright high gain.

Quote by lemurflames
The speaker cab will affect the tone, but yea, you can use it well on its own or with an amp.

Yeah, going through the power amp using one of the HD500's amp models will sound a bit different than the initial patch because you bypass the cab emulation since you'd be going through a real cab. But then you get the option of the "live" cab models which add a bit of eq to sound more like your patch. I prefer to have them off when I do this though.
Last edited by Ignite at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by lemurflames

well what do you mean by the speaker cab will affect the tone? im somewhat confused, lets say im going to jam with some friends, i plug it into my Vox ac30 effects loop, now, will it sound just as good as it did on my computer? and if it sounds different, will it be a drastic change in sound? or would it be unnoticeable and i could play a gig with it?
Tones made on the device through headphones or monitors are going to sound different through your vox. Whether or not the difference sounds good is up to you.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2