I play in the casual position with my leg raised. I don't tilt the guitar towards me so I can see the frets and It lays against my stomach. What's the problem? I see people playing like this all the time but it hurts me and I can't find another way to play. I don't think it's low like Slash's or anything...
Last edited by Slipping at Jan 23, 2012,
Your picking hand wrist or your fretting hand wrist?
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
don't pinch your carpel tunnels off and don't play if it hurts. you'll just cause damage.

im in a sling right now because i did that.
If it's your picking arm, then try holding the pick like you're making a fist--i.e., have the other fingers backing up your index finger to counter against the force of your thumb.

Pick with a light touch. You might need a thicker pick; I use 2.0 mm Dunlop Gator Grips. It also takes less effort to hold because it's not always slipping loose.

You can also hold the pick perpendicular to the strings...so it's like you're sawing the strings.

Paul Gilbert is a big advocate of these approaches; you can find vids on YouTube where he explains it all...
I'm sorry, it's my fretting hand that hurts. And I practice for a few hours most of the time.
Quote by Slipping
I'm sorry, it's my fretting hand that hurts. And I practice for a few hours most of the time.

Hmmm. No joke, might want to check out http://www.whyisuckatguitar.com/ Seriously, this guy gives you the tools to trouble shoot problems like the one you're having now.

Check it out. Especially the area on fretting hand issues.

Good luck.
Just watched some of those vids. I'm having a hard time keeping my wrist straight while playing power chords. I just played In Bloom all the way through and I couldn't keep it straight... IT ended up hurting after I finished. :/
Quote by Slipping
Just watched some of those vids. I'm having a hard time keeping my wrist straight while playing power chords. I just played In Bloom all the way through and I couldn't keep it straight... IT ended up hurting after I finished. :/

You need to tilt up the guitar.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Your propably tensing up. It´s quite common and difficult to come by. You need to execute the exercise over and over again and do it with less muscle tension every time. Normally we use way too much muscle when learning a new motion.