I have always wondered if this is not the best way to store guitars. You see them hanging in guitar shops and peoples houses, hell I even hang two of my cheap ones that way.

But is it really a good idea?

With the opposite stress on the headstock and any glued joints it may have has anybody here ever had any issue with a guitar that hangs on the wall most of its life???
What the hell!!!
While you can't beat keeping a guitar in the case when not in use, I don't think hanging it by the neck would be any worse than leaving it in a stand. You always have that chance the hook come out and your axe would come crashing down but I have never in my life see a guitar problem from hanging it.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
It's totally fine. Stop obsessing.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I don't think the force created by the guitar's own weight would be enough to cause any damage to it unless it was held at an angle for a long period of time.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
IMO case is the best place to have it, on a wall is a very close second. just make sure you are scerwing into studs or put a piece of wood up and screw that to every stud and place the hangers where you want them.

you will not damage your guitar by having it hung if you know how to hang something and hit a stud, if its just into drywall, yea it could fall, and would over time.

here is what i did.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've only heard of it being good for guitars--the gravity helps keep the neck from warping.

I guess if you had an extremely off-balanced guitar or it had paste instead of glue, then there could be issues.

I heard of an MIC Dean Vendetta having the headstock pop off in shipping, due to poor gluing at the factory. It was a $100 guitar off eBay and the owner just gave it to the luthier when he found out that it would cost way over $100 to fix. It was one of those Deans where the neck has a joint with the headstock around 30 degrees off the fretboard. I've seen some Schecters and LTDs constructed like that too. This was some YouTube video...
Quote by jetwash69
I've only heard of it being good for guitars--the gravity helps keep the neck from warping.

I guess if you had an extremely off-balanced guitar or it had paste instead of glue, then there could be issues.

I heard of an MIC Dean Vendetta having the headstock pop off in shipping, due to poor gluing at the factory. It was a $100 guitar off eBay and the owner just gave it to the luthier when he found out that it would cost way over $100 to fix. It was one of those Deans where the neck has a joint with the headstock around 30 degrees off the fretboard. I've seen some Schecters and LTDs constructed like that too. This was some YouTube video...

the big thing is to hit a stud.

no stud, no bueno. guitar go boom.

that doesn't surprise me with Dean.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
shops do it all the time, right? haven't seen a guitar just stop working as a result.

guitars take proper care, but they are hardly delicate. unless you have a gibson with a compromised headstock (cracked), I wouldn't worry at all
Trashedlostfdup Nice roomfull! Damn thats what my room is starting to look like......too much stuff....but I cant seem to part ways with things so far except for an extra drum kit.

Obsess ....maybe.....I am a freak that way but I figured there is enough people here to ask that question and get a good cross section of answers. My nice ones are always cased.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Trashedlostfdup Nice roomfull! Damn thats what my room is starting to look like......too much stuff....but I cant seem to part ways with things so far except for an extra drum kit.

Obsess ....maybe.....I am a freak that way but I figured there is enough people here to ask that question and get a good cross section of answers. My nice ones are always cased.

thanks. sad thing is a have a 7 piece 1982 Tama set in the closet. also all of the thing in white t shirts covered, they are snare drums, and two extra toms. if you want to see my room in whole, here is a link. http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z79/trashedlostfdup/2012%20EVERYTHING%20GUITAR%20IN%20STUDIO/

i would love to see what you have got going.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
You guys do know that the strings on the guitar exert over 100 pounds of pressure on the guitar neck alone right? I doubt hanging it on the wall will do any damage to a guitar, unless you don't know how to place the wall hanger properly.
Quote by zincabopataurio
You guys do know that the strings on the guitar exert over 100 pounds of pressure on the guitar neck alone right? I doubt hanging it on the wall will do any damage to a guitar, unless you don't know how to place the wall hanger properly.

the only way i would imagine something would go wrong other than a poorly installed (as stated hit a stud, not just drywall). if it were being held at an angle for some reason that weight would be touching something and the hanger would be holding it, i suppose it could happen due to stress on the body and neck and mess it up. that would be hard to do though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Studs are best, but there are some great drywall anchors available, too. Research it first.

Also a good idea to avoid wall hanging under the influence; might be hard to hang it on the hangar that's actually there if you see two of them, or if the room is spinning
Quote by jetwash69
Studs are best, but there are some great drywall anchors available, too. Research it first.

Also a good idea to avoid wall hanging under the influence; might be hard to hang it on the hangar that's actually there if you see two of them, or if the room is spinning

you can gamble if you want to on anchors, they would likely stay, but i wont risk a $1000+ guitar falling due to that. i know construction very well. i own a construction company. did it through most of college, then bought them out. i don't work it any more as i run a different business, but it brings in cash.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The weight of the guitar body is absolutely insignificant compared to the amount of weight being put on the glue joint by the guitar strings pulling against the neck which I'm going to guess when tuned to standard are going to be at least 100 lbs of weight.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you can gamble if you want to on anchors, they would likely stay, but i wont risk a $1000+ guitar falling due to that. i know construction very well. i own a construction company. did it through most of college, then bought them out. i don't work it any more as i run a different business, but it brings in cash.

Crap!

A REALLY heavy guitar might weigh 12 pounds. A quality drywall anchor is rated at 75#.

A wall hanger will use 2.

If your guitar falls at that point, it wasn't because of the anchoring system.

I've got 14 of them hanging this way with nary a problem.

Your claim is bordering on paranoia.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Crap!

A REALLY heavy guitar might weigh 12 pounds. A quality drywall anchor is rated at 75#.

A wall hanger will use 2.

If your guitar falls at that point, it wasn't because of the anchoring system.

I've got 14 of them hanging this way with nary a problem.

Your claim is bordering on paranoia.

Yeah, a good anchor like that will be fine. A toggle bolt is even better, but it will be hard to remove if you ever move out. Toggle bolt on that page was rated at 100lbs.

For the general populace, I'd recommend the toggle bolt as the safest answer. Several problems with relying on studs:
- Too easy to miss the stud and not know it, if you don't know what you're doing
- I've seen some pretty crappy studs in walls with missing knot holes, big cracks, and rounded corners with enough missing so it wouldn't hold a screw
- Unknown termite damage in the future can make it unreliable some day

-
I had a particularly heavy bass (it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 pounds) tear the hanger off the wall once, but other than that I've had extremely good luck with hanging it on the wall.
while I agree on drywall fixings, when I was living in a rented place a couple years ago I stuck some guitar hangers on a stud wall. having learned the trade from my dad since I was old enough to walk "knew" where to locate the hangers to catch studs. The third one went in, the screws bit onto something and went tight, hung my cheap beginners strat on it, fortunately it weighed less than a fleas testicle. When I broke up with my ex and moved out and took the hanger down I could see light from the room in the empty property next door... can't have been any plasterboard on the other side of the stud work! The guitar however never budged. Despite this, when I moved back into my parents place to save money and build my own place I erected this

just like trashedlostfdup, nice room btw, although my collection when this photo was taken was neither as vast or impressive, it has grown a bit since. The timber is fixed to the studs in the wall, (I know this for certain as I helped my dad put up that wall) and the hangers fixed securely to the timber. When I finish my house I'm going to have a rack for the normal shaped guitars and use hangers purely for the explorers or anything else odd shaped I might pick up.