Silly title, got ur attention though I hope. haha
Ok, so...a friend of mine and his bassist made a demo. Its just drums and bass, and it sounds really good. They want me to come up with something for it, as kind of an audition for their band. Since theyre desperate for a guitarist... anyway. I digress, I want to make somethin up when I go to jam with them, but the only issue Im having is that I know nothing about music theory when it comes to the bass. I know my scales on guitar, but bass... ehhh. idk
I dont know what frets specifically, but the drummer told me it was somewhere around the 7th fret of the strings 4 and 3 (ive seen him play, and he pretty much stays there without touching 1 and 2.) So, it assumed its 4 and 3.
So, What key is this in? and, just a protip what would be a good scale? Blues? major? minor? Dorian?
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
The scales on bass are the same as the scales on guitar, voice, piano, violin etc.

Use your ears to figure out a part which sounds good. It's basically what's expected from a musician in a band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well. its a bit more complicated than id like to admit. The thing im having issue with, is that the bass is so distorted, and so... overpowering I can only think I need something to "pierce" through the bassline. But, being still new. I Need a little bit of a push in the right direction. say like, training wheels to get me started on a long journey of awesome

Well it's pretty hard to tell without a soundclip. The standard method is:

1. Identify key.

2. Identify chord structure.

3. Identify scales.

Use the above to create a part.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well it's pretty hard to tell without a soundclip. The standard method is:

1. Identify key.

2. Identify chord structure.

3. Identify scales.

Use the above to create a part.

In addition to what Alan said -

A lot depends on what they expect from you. It's not about knowing theory, per se, but do they expect you to be able to figure it out from hearing it? If so, and you can't ... this is not the right band for you. You'll be a deadweight holding them down.

If they're willing to talk to you about what they're playing, on the other hand ... why are you asking the drummer about what the bassist is playing? Get on the phone with the bassist and say, "Can you walk me through the chord changes?"

If he's unwilling to do that, and you can't do it on your own, then this is the wrong band for you. It won't work even if you "pass" the audition.

And work on your ear. Yes, distortion can make it harder. When you guys are jamming, the ability to hear what other musicians are doing and react to it on the fly is CRUCIAL - it's what makes a good jam. So you're going to need to make that a priority. So download the functional ear trainer at Miles.Be and get a book on ear training (I recommend Keith Wyatt's "Ear TRaining for the Contemporary Musician" but there may be other books which are just as good. That's just the one I know.)
Well the drummer who formed the band really, just gave me the clip and said, make something.
show it me when we chill next time. I made a little somethin, he said it was good, but keep workin on it. That was a few weeks ago, and since then ive gotten a lot more familiar with theory and scales. (ive been practicing, and studying my ass off) itll be awhile before i go chill again, so i think i got time to improve on what I had.

As for being deadweight, I see that as likely, but I dont really mind being replaced/fired. Cuz it was fun to jam with them regardless. and was a learning experience overall.
Btw, I got the bassists' GT, but hes never on... lol
Ill look up an ear trainer too. thanks, I didnt know there was such a thing.

Well it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders dude, and an objective standpoint as to your skills.

One question you should be pondering though is this:

If you know words and terms like key, scale, major, minor and dorian, but have no idea how to use them, or identify them in a song, how much do you really know?

I'd recommend going back to basics.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders dude, and an objective standpoint as to your skills.

One question you should be pondering though is this:

If you know words and terms like key, scale, major, minor and dorian, but have no idea how to use them, or identify them in a song, how much do you really know?

I'd recommend going back to basics.

the trouble with it all, is that there are multiple opinions, multiple...tastes. To me, the blues scale is my favorite, so I would naturally have it down pat and go to it seemlessly. But, not being objective enough to identify what would really fit among so many options. So, yea your kinda right, I gotta do a bit more familiarizing myself more with all the different types and get a better feel.
As they, say, these things come with time, as does wisdom.