For example, A1, .. if I hear another A1 I know they're the same notes. But if I hear A2, I can't discern anymore.

This is becoming a problem for me, I first discovered when I was trying to drop D, I couldn't tune it to the open D, so instead I resorted to fretting the string to tune

Now I'm trying to start into theory, I'm trying to tell apart the root, 3rd and 5th notes in major chords by ear. For the meantime I'm resorting to recognizing them from memorization of notes in the fretboard, but I want to get better in relative discerning. If they're all in the same octave I can tell them apart quite easily, but once a note's higher I can't anymore.

Oh please, Heeeeelp me. Is there any exercise or something I can do? Right now I'm trying to sing a note an octave higher/lower and checking it with a reference.

D: D: D: jdfslakjflskjfskljfkldsjfkdsjflkjdsk *shot*
Last edited by luxeion at Jan 23, 2012,
theres no such thing as tone deafness, its all just training. get GNU Solfege and use that to train. its pretty much just an open source ear trainer with exercises and improvement tracking.
Quote by jsync
theres no such thing as tone deafness, its all just training. get GNU Solfege and use that to train. its pretty much just an open source ear trainer with exercises and improvement tracking.

downloading it now. but my internet sux. it says 7 hours. :O
Quote by jsync
7 hours for 13mb. daaamn!
cuz my spid was .5kb, but it went up to 4kb... i got it (finally)!! it's a real great program thanks, the interval section is what i need , i love uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu <3333333 > : D <
Hey,
All it takes is practice. Hearing IS something you can learn, it's not a gift that some people are lucky to be born with. It's even possible to acquire perfect pitch. All you need (well to start with anyway) is interval training. It's easier to try and match the intervals to songs than to dedicate it to memory. For example, an octave can be matched to Somewhere Over The Rainbow. The first two notes of that song; "Some-where" are an octave apart. A Perfect 5th can be matched to the first two notes of the Starwars theme, so on. Auralia is another program that you can use to train your ear. Or just google 'interval training'. Start with only three different intervals and gradually build on that.
If you have a smart phone or an ipod touch, there are some good apps out there that have interval training. I use brainscape music theory which is pretty much like digital flash cards. These are good because you can practice listening while on the train, waiting for a drs appointment, etc.

Anyway, good luck .
teoria.com = great ear trainer
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
ahh, i guess its because people here always say that ear playing is only a gift.. :P

Youuur right, the relating to songs thing is useful!!! YEAAAAAY Great piece of adviceee !! YES it's really great thankthankyouyou it realy worksss.. although i can only directly relate it song, like if the songs ascending.. and the notes are descending i have to make it ascendin in my head but anyways >D (mwahhaahahhahaha) Haha, i remember over the rainbow my first ever piano recital piece .. ).. auralia ain't free though. thanks again for the advice.......11!!

I went to teoria, and it is nice too. Thank you sir. ^_____^ > : D <
Quote by luxeion
ahh, i guess its because people here always say that ear playing is only a gift.. :P

Youuur right, the relating to songs thing is useful!!! YEAAAAAY Great piece of adviceee !! YES it's really great thankthankyouyou it realy worksss.. although i can only directly relate it song, like if the songs ascending.. and the notes are descending i have to make it ascendin in my head but anyways >D (mwahhaahahhahaha) Haha, i remember over the rainbow my first ever piano recital piece .. ).. auralia ain't free though. thanks again for the advice.......11!!

I went to teoria, and it is nice too. Thank you sir. ^_____^ > : D <

Oh cool! Haha I'm really glad that helped
And with descending ones, you're doing exactly the right thing, you have to reverse it.

I'll give you a list for the other intervals:

m2 (minor second)= The Jaws theme
M2 (major second)= Happy birthday
m3 (minor third)= Greensleeves
M3 (major third)= When the Saints
My trick for this one is to try and imagine the major arpeggio. So if I can hear the 5th after the interval is played I know it's a M3. For example, if the interval is a C up to an E, if I can hear a G in my head after the E, that's how I know. Same for the minor 3rd, I try and hear a minor arpeggio in my mind.
P4 (perfect fourth)= Amazing Grace ("Ah-maze..." <a P4 apart)
d5 (Diminished 5th or tritone)= The Simpsons
m6 (minor 6th)= The Entertainer
Because I'm not familiar with the Entertainer tune, when I hear this interval and I'm not sure, I try to raise the m6th note to a major 6th. If it sounds just flat of My Bonnie I know it's a minor 6th.
M6 (major 6th)= My Bonnie ("My Bon..." <a M6 apart)
m7(minor 7th)= There's A Place for Us
M7 (major 7th)= For this one, I always used to think it was a m7, because it sounds unresovled, doesn't sound major. So what I do is I try and hear the next note (the octave) and if it sounds finished/resolved then I know it's a M7. Hopefully that makes sense lol.

Also, if you're able to sing chromatically in tune you can just sing the notes until you hit the interval, sort of like counting up the scale
for tri-tone, may i suggest the european ambulance sirens
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
thanks for taking the time to write that!~ I sort of (kind of) get the M3 and 7 thing, . although I don't know about 5 of those tunes, sorreee D:.. I can try to find stuff in songs i'm familiar with (takes a while tho), liiiike: hangar18 verse: 1st measure..p4.. 2nd: M3.. 3rd: m3.. It's a good link, thanks~~ jaws theme hahah >: ))

I'm so shocked i tried to test two intervals directly beside each other, with this method,, and i can tell them aparrrrt (somehow ? ). D: D: it's so cool. XD
A few more suggestions:

M2 - Bat out of Hell
m3 - Iron Man
P4 - Mexican Hat Dance. Seriously. Every time I hear a P4 now...
M6 - My Way. I usually alternate between this and "My bonnie" - for some reason my brain isn't happy with either of them for everything
M7 - Either "Somewhere Over the rainbow" (between "some" and "o"). Or just a descending m2 but that's kinda cheating.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Jan 25, 2012,