its late at night, and im analyzing my playing habbits...

im not so much looking for specific suggestions but rather a usefull general discussion.

seems like we all browse GT and see those threads about guitarist block or meeting that point where you feel like you stop progressing

ive noticed in my personal playing that i just stopped learning techniques that were too difficult. i pretty much go through the same routine every time i pick up the guitar, playing the same songs and same licks over and over.

soo....who wants to share their memory of their block and how they got past it?

(too all suggestions to get a new piece of gear, i have way too much for my needs already and a huge lack of funds for anything usefull)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
It's really redundant, I know, but I'm sure the answer is to just keep trying to learn new techniques/chords/theory or whatever gets you hard. It doesn't have to be difficult stuff either, as long as it's fresh and keeps the ball going. New songs maybe? You could try your hand at writing some things as well.

Persistant effort and patience is the key, but really I'm no pro.

True story.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by JimDawson
or whatever gets you hard.

EDIT: Sorry...

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.
Quote by ewashbrook
EDIT: Sorry...

There is nothing at the bottom of your post that says when you edited your post.

EDIT: Your post is a lie.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Last edited by JimDawson at Jan 23, 2012,
Wouldn't the answer to be just get off your butt and actually learn something new?

It sounds to me like you want to learn, but you're not actually doing it.

:/
Quote by JimDawson
There is nothing at the bottom of your post that says when you edited your post.

EDIT: Your post is a lie.

Touche! But it was a pre-post edit.

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.
Progress is moving forward and learning.

Yes it seems you are not making progress but you are, just not as fast. Play new songs and anaylze them to see how they work. Work on techniques. Play scales and chords.

Play with chords you know, move them around, adjust certain fingers and if you find something you like, add it to your library of Guitar knowledge. Be sure to know the proper names of chords you add.

Maybe play with a scale and make a lick, try adding passing tones to those licks or "notes outside the scale". Just don't emphasize them.

Force yourself to only learn by ear. I stopped using sheet music, tabs, and everything but my ear a bit ago. I was really into Jason Becker's music at the time and I started to pull Jason Becker licks from nowhere. It just became natural to hear certain things then translate them. I really learned my way around the Phyrgian Dominant scale too, just by listening.

Learn new or multiple genres. I've always been a classical style guitarist all my playing life. So of course I knew all the Bach standards and Paganini's piece by heart. I toke a venture into Jazz (still learning it to this day! Very good theory based type genre!) and learned a lot about just tweaking intervals to form melodies, more chords then you can shake a guitar at, got better at improv, learned about listening to the harmony even more, and a lot of other stuff.

Guitar takes lifetimes to master, and even then there's something new.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
ive found that flaws in my technique would block my progress. refining it as needed would result in quick progress (after a few day adjustment period). also just learning songs that are way above my ability, and playing them slow over and over til one day it's like "omg i can play all these songs now"
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
I used to play a lot of metalcore when I hit the guitar "wall". I stayed at the same level for a very long time and almost gave up playing till I got into the likes of Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai which improved my technique a ridiculous amount. I started trying to learn as many chords as I could and got much more into theory and song writing. Much better player than I was say 6 months ago.

Also this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3WqUXQq7I&feature=relmfu
I think it's good to change things up. I started out learning guitar by playing tab and hit a huge wall. My technique and speed just weren't good enough to progress any farther with what I was doing. Last year I broke from playing tab and got into video lessons and got a few cool guitar games. I've noticed that I can now go back to tab and do a lot better now.
It's kind of bad but I usually just fight with it for a week or 2 for a couple hours a week, then I take a break from practicing the technique.

When I come back and the part with that specific technique comes up I just force it out, after that I good and am able to get my proficiency up with it.

This works for me but I don't think it produces the same level of mastery that others get when they just sit down and practice that technique for hours and hours.
when i reach a block i usually take a step away from what i'm trying to learn and learn a new song. Sometimes for me, taking that break and exploring a new song will help me analyze and approach what I am doing in a different light. It's all about perspective, man.

And you just gotta take your time. You can only learn as fast as your brain will let you, and with the guitar sometimes a technique can move faster than you do. So just keep at it and don't force it It needs to happen naturally
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw