Which one is best alround guitar, the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Prophecy EX/GX or Epiphone SG Custom Prophecy EX/GX?
So basically it's just an LP vs SG debate?

Depends what you're after. LP is richer-sounding and heavy, whereas the SG has more mids and is (arguably) more comfortable.
West Ham United
When I bought my SG, I planned on buying a Les Paul and didn't. The SG has a little more bite to it and I liked the neck profile better, although that varies from guitar to guitar.

They are very different guitars, so just check it out for yourself. I'd always pick an SG, but others might always pick the LP.
No vs. threads. Come on, don't people read rules at all?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Oh, look, it's this thread, again.

Seriously, though, use the ****ing search bar, find one of the hundred of threads with hundreds of posts about this subject.

Nothing new has happened to the SG or Les Paul since those threads were made.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by I K0nijn I
They are very different guitars, so just check it out for yourself. I'd always pick an SG, but others might always pick the LP.

^ +1
You really need to pick up and play each of these if this is what you're considering. Doesn't have to be these specific models though, just find an Epiphone Les Paul and compare it to an Epiphone SG. Different necks, different weight, different balance.

Also, I don't mean to start a debate on EMGs, but having active pickups is going to pretty much negate any tone difference between these two guitars. You might notice slightly more bite on the SG, and slightly more bass on the Les Paul, but not enough to matter. A simple EQ adjustment on the amp will even the score either way.

Basically it comes down to which one you think looks the best, and which one feels good in your hands to play. If you check out the SG in a store, ask them to let you put a strap on it and play it standing up. Those things neck-dive like crazy. Some say that can be fixed with a leather or suede strap, but for me that just meant it twisted my t-shirt around my shoulders as the neck shot down towards to the floor. I love the look of them but I just can't get used to playing them.

Les Pauls on the other hand, some people hate the weight of them and it bothers their shoulders/backs if they play for a long time. But I love a heavy guitar and it doesn't bother me. You really need to try them out for yourself because everybody's different...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
I'v not read the rest of the thread- but to play I prefer LP style, the weight doesn't bother me, and the sustain etc is really nice.
One thing to note; SG's have a weird strap screw on the neck end- it's on the back, I don't like that at all!
I like both, like said above they each have there good and bad qualities. SG's have neck dive, it doesn't bother me, but some people cant stand it. And do seem to have more mid bite.

I had a LP Studio for 5 yrs and that was my main giging guitar. It had a great fat tone that worked for Regae-Metal, but it was a super heavy guitar and 4 hrs a nite 3 days a week giging made me look for a lighter guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 57Goldtop

Also, I don't mean to start a debate on EMGs, but having active pickups is going to pretty much negate any tone difference between these two guitars.

I don't mean to start a debate either. But EMG's sounding the same in every guitar is a complete myth.

OT: I've played both guitars you're talking about. The GX versions of both guitars and the LP EX. The EX LP sounded quite different to the GX LP. They're both good guitars. But like everyone else has said, there's lots of threads aobout LP's and SG's. The searchbar is your friend.

I've owned a Prophecy for 3 years. I've beaten it to absolute hell. The frets are worn out and the satin finish has worn out from playing and its still kicking. Its a great guitar for the price and its served me well.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by 57Goldtop
If you check out the SG in a store, ask them to let you put a strap on it and play it standing up. Those things neck-dive like crazy. Some say that can be fixed with a leather or suede strap, but for me that just meant it twisted my t-shirt around my shoulders as the neck shot down towards to the floor. I love the look of them but I just can't get used to playing them.

I must an exception, because my SG doesn't have neck-dive. I hated it on the SG I played a friend of mine had around once, but mine has normal balance.
Doesn't matter much, both are Epiphones therefore pretty much full-"mahogany".
Matters even less in the EMG-versions.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz