sorry i seem to be spamming this forum w/ questions/

i saw a tutorial vid where the guy said [ bend down, release-down-release down etc

but most written stuffs says [ bend up down up down up down
which is much harder

and it sounds different
which do u do?
The down-release one. You're right, it's a hell of a lot easier!

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.
bending down is shitty technique (if you mean just pullig the string downwards)
the motion must come from the wrist
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Freepower
Well, they sound different, so I choose whichever one I think will sound better in context.

Agreed A circular motion can sound good in certain songs as well.

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.
Thank youu so much everyone.

Quote by ewashbrook
The down-release one. You're right, it's a hell of a lot easier!

I was doing that too, but started to doubt if it was "wrong technique" when I was reading through guitar guides and such.. so thankss, i'll continue with it hahah ><...

Well, they sound different, so I choose whichever one I think will sound better in context.

..guess i need to work on the other one too then.. :P,
Quote by luxeion
Thank youu so much everyone.

I was doing that too, but started to doubt if it was "wrong technique" when I was reading through guitar guides and such.. so thankss, i'll continue with it hahah ><...

..guess i need to work on the other one too then.. :P,

So I guess there's 3 types -
  • bend down, release, bend down, release
  • bend up, release, bend up, release
  • bend up, bend down, bend up, bend down

The first two will sound exactly the same, it's just a matter of execution. However, I would advise that you do the second option of bending up as it's easier to use more controlled wrist motion for this. Having said that, it partially depends on context - for example you can't bend up on the bottom E string as the string will come off the fretboard!

The third sounds quite different to the first 2 - it's faster and sounds a little smoother. Personally I'm not so keen on this style, but each to their own, they all have their uses in different musical/physical situations.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by llBlackenedll
So I guess there's 3 types -
  • bend down, release, bend down, release
  • bend up, release, bend up, release
  • bend up, bend down, bend up, bend down

The first two will sound exactly the same, it's just a matter of execution. However, I would advise that you do the second option of bending up as it's easier to use more controlled wrist motion for this. Having said that, it partially depends on context - for example you can't bend up on the bottom E string as the string will come off the fretboard!

The third sounds quite different to the first 2 - it's faster and sounds a little smoother. Personally I'm not so keen on this style, but each to their own, they all have their uses in different musical/physical situations.
thank you, ..although the first two sound very different to me. yuup, the high e string is something i need to work on.. D:..
Whatever works in context. Also whatever you are use too.

I use to only do Classical style vibratos and the circular vibrato that Steve Vai uses. Each has it's own advantage.

When I started learning some George Lynch style, I started to use the "Jack Off" Vibrato. You slide up and done as widely or shallow you want. Now I use that a lot during a good Hard Rock song or Blues improv/song.

Each has it's own purpose or use. Each can sound bad if used out of context (Unless that's the intended effect to sound "bad").

Think of Vibrato like bending. Would you really bend it up in a metalcore mosh solo (I don't like metalcore much, only one I can think of really at the tip of my tongue.)? Probably not as it would sound bad or kind of ruin the flow (Unless that's the intended effect you want). You'd probably use sweeps.

See?
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by luxeion
thank you, ..although the first two sound very different to me. yuup, the high e string is something i need to work on.. D:..

They shouldn't sound different - chances are it's because you haven't worked on doing the bend up vibrato so your execution of each is different.

I've found quite a good exercise for this is to take a track or lick from a track with nice wide vibrato, shove it in Transcribe!, slow it down and try to match it exactly. I don't specifically do this as an exercise, it just kinda happens to go that way if I'm learning a song with wide vibrato :P But yeah the reason I've found it good to match exactly is that it really helps with your control over your muscles for vibrato (getting your wrist to turn the right amount and at the right speed). The most common mistake with vibrato is to never properly work on it slowly, and to just go for making your hand spaz out as quickly as possible, which requires no control and usually doesn't sound great either.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Jan 24, 2012,
They shouldn't sound different - chances are it's because you haven't worked on doing the bend up vibrato so your execution of each is different.

Honestly, I think it's really difficult to get finger pull to sound like wrist push. I know Guthrie recommends pull down for huge aggressive bend and vibrato. That said, I hate finger pull vibrato and I'm not quite as confident with huge aggressive bends as Guthrie, so I can't +1 that personally.
Quote by Freepower
Honestly, I think it's really difficult to get finger pull to sound like wrist push. I know Guthrie recommends pull down for huge aggressive bend and vibrato. That said, I hate finger pull vibrato and I'm not quite as confident with huge aggressive bends as Guthrie, so I can't +1 that personally.

And that's the type of thinking that makes it hard

I thought sweeps were hard, god like technique(so to say), till I convinced myself it wasn't and I've vastly progressed a lot by thinking this.

The human mind doesn't like anything "hard". So make it easy and believe in yourself

Disclaimer: I'm not saying to not practice, you have to practice like usual but also think in this manner.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Freepower

Interesting - I was considering his book actually, figured it might give some insight into his wizardry. I've been playing along to the youtube version of Fives (I prefer it to his studio version) and in the first main riff of that (the minor 7 arps) he does whole step vibrato on the 3rd note (the G) which I find easier/smoother bending upwards.

Quote by Xter
And that's the type of thinking that makes it hard

I thought sweeps were hard, god like technique(so to say), till I convinced myself it wasn't and I've vastly progressed a lot by thinking this.

The human mind doesn't like anything "hard". So make it easy and believe in yourself

Disclaimer: I'm not saying to not practice, you have to practice like usual but also think in this manner.

This is so true, I started to improve so much more when I just stopped worrying about how quickly I was progressing or how fast I could play. If you know in your mind that you will eventually be able to do it but don't worry about when that will be, you just seem to progress faster. You just have to take the time - close your eyes you can find all you need in your mind.

Did I just say that?

EDIT: Yes, it seems I did.
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Jan 24, 2012,
I'm aware of that, I'm just saying trying to get the same kind of "touch" when you're doing totally different things mechanically is very difficult.

You can get the same results eventually, but wouldn't it be easier to just pick the appropriate tool for the job?

ED: Yeah, the mental aspect is massive. There's a great book on guitar technique and mentality called "The Natural Classical Guitar" which is awesome.

Guthrie's book is brilliant as well. Most of his wizardry comes from the love of sound!
it's probably poor technique, but i do both depending on how i'm feeling. there's not a particularly audible sound difference, but, especially when bending the lower 3 strings, it just feels natural to pull down. i'm surprised no one's called me out before on it, but typically when i'm doing just regular vibrato it's more 'right' to pull down a bit to get that feel i like out of the string. of course with "real" bends i'm using my wrist, but i don't bend as much on the high strings as the middle/lower ones unless i really wanna cheese up a solo.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.