What is the best way to clean an unfinished mahogany neck?

I have an ESP LTD Ec-1000 Deluxe VB and I'm just doing a routine string change, but I have excess build up around the frets and I was wondering what the proper way to clean it is?

Thanks
Are you asking how to clean the physical neck of the guitar?Or are you asking what is good to clean the fret board?

If for the fret board lemon oil works fine, you can grab a bottle from a guitar shop for $6.00 and it will last a long time. It works especially well on rosewood and ebony fretboard's, just read the back to make sure you're not using it on anything your not supposed to.
Quote by BigHeadClan
Are you asking how to clean the physical neck of the guitar?Or are you asking what is good to clean the fret board?

If for the fret board lemon oil works fine, you can grab a bottle from a guitar shop for $6.00 and it will last a long time. It works especially well on rosewood and ebony fretboard's, just read the back to make sure you're not using it on anything your not supposed to.

+1.

I like how it makes my Rosewood look a little darker and polished.
If your neck has got some dirt on it, it should go away with a cleaner, since it's a satin neck... However, for your fretboard you need specific polish and then perhaps some conditioner too, like lemon oil, but I don't know if lemon oil is recommended for ebony fingerboards. I know it is for rosewood.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

It's what my guy at the guitar shop said but it's always good to check, the bottle I have at home juts mentions not using on maple so it should be fine to use with ebony.
Quote by lilwill000
+1.

I like how it makes my Rosewood look a little darker and polished.

I used to use Mineral Oil on my old guitar that had rosewood and it worked awesome. But could I do the same for Mahogany or would that be bad for the fret board?
Quote by AustinHoag
I used to use Mineral Oil on my old guitar that had rosewood and it worked awesome. But could I do the same for Mahogany or would that be bad for the fret board?

Your LTD Eclipse has an ebony fingerboard, your neck is of mahogany and it's satin finish, you don't really need to use oil for the neck.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jan 23, 2012,
Quote by Sakke
Your LTD Eclipse has an ebony fingerboard, your neck is of mahogany and it's satin finish, you don't really need to use oil for the neck.

This. Although I would say that you shouldn't use any oils at all for the neck. Just a damn cloth.

For the fretboard, go to a guitar store and get some fretboard cleaner. DO NOT use any type of store bought "oil" or "polish". It's very bad for your guitar, and it'd be a shame to see ebony go through that.

I personally like the Gibson cleaner I have used. The Dunlop is good too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Using mineral oil is fine as long as you don't marinade it. Lemon oil is merely a scented fine mineral oil. so its not at all acidic or harmful to your fretboard. Linseed oil is also okay to use.

Its a good idea to put a bit of oil on your fingerboard every so often. Not oiling at all will make the fretboard dry, shrink or even crack in extreme cases. Its not something you should worry about much because you will only need to oil a fretboard very occasionally. For the fingerboard to crack would require the guitar be an area that is so dry for such a long time its probably nothing to worry about if you're just using the guitar at home.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 23, 2012,