Hi folks,

I’m about to buy the new combo amp. Since I can’t afford tube amp at the moment, I’m forced to consider some other options. I play many styles, from old-school thrash metal, hard rock, to blues/jazz and alternative rock.
I was searching a lot, looking for all kinds and types of amps and brands, and I sticked with these three models, based on their characteristics and reviews, two of them hybrid, one pure solid-state.

Laney LV200
Power RMS: 65 Watts
Inputs: 1x Jack
Channels: 3 (Clean, Drive 1 and Drive 2)
Equalization: Independent Bass, Mid, and Treble for Clean and Drive
Bright Switch: Yes (Clean Channel)
Reverb: Yes, with independent level controls for Clean and Drive
Footswitch: Custom 3-Way (Included)
Speaker connections: 1x Jack (8 Ohms)
FX Loop(s): Yes
Drivers: 1x12" Celestion Super 65
Scoop Switch: 2 (Drive 1 & Drive 2)
Tube Fusion Technology: ECC83 Preamp Valve
Headphone Socket: Yes
Price: 260EUR

Peavey Bandit 112
80 Watts RMS into 8 Ohms
100 Watts RMS into 4 Ohms (w/external speaker)
12 in. Blue Marvel speaker
High and Low Gain inputs
TransTube tube emulation circuitry
Footswitchable Clean and Lead channels
3 band passive EQ on each channel
3 position EQ/Gain Voicing switch on each channel
Reverb with level control
Footswitchable Boost with level control (footswitch optional).
Price: 350 EUR

Roland CUBE-60
60-watt output, compact 12" speaker design
9 COSM guitar amp models, including JC, British Combo, and R-Fire
New Dyna Amp feature enables smooth and expressive tone transitions based on picking dynamics
6 classic built-in effects, including Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, and independent Delay/Reverb
Recording/Phones output, Line out, Tuner out, and Ext Speaker out
Channel switching, delay/reverb, and effect on/off control via optional footswitch
Price: 330EUR

Btw. I saw some guy selling used ’88. Laney Linebacker 50W Reverb, so I’m considering that too:
Laney Linebacker 50W Reverb
Made in England
Year of production: 1988.
Solid-state amp
Accutronix reverb
Celestion 10-50 speaker
Master: Presence, Reverb, Master volume.
Two channels
Channel A : Master A (volume) , Treble, Middle, Bass Pull Boost, Gain Pull Boost.
Channel B: Master B (volume), Treble, Middle, Bass, Gain
Input: Footswitch, Channel A, Channel mix, Channel B (footswitch not included).
Rear panel: FX Loop , D. I. , Speaker, Headphones.
Price: 170 EUR

If anyone has some better option in that price range in mind, please share it. Thanks in advance!
I have experience with the cube and the bandit, both of which are great as far as solid state is concerned. For the sound variety I would say the cube wins this one. It can handle crisp clean to maxed out distortion and keep its clarity, whereas the bandit is a little muddy for my taste on the clean end and breaks up a little earlier than I would have liked when it came to metal, but then again if you are refering to classic styled metal (pre 95) i can see the bandit doing very well for itself. Hope this helps!
You could easily get a used Peavey valveking combo in your price range, if you can get one used i'd recommend it over a solid state.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Wait, which one has tubes again?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Why not a 5w or 20w Blackstar combi perfect for every style...
Originally Posted by jazar94
Oh God, anal masturbation with a banana.
Wait...
**** YEAH! ANAL MASTURBATION WITH A BANANA!

Quote by Silent Murder
This man knows his cleaning essentials.

It'll smell nice afterwards too
Quote by dynastywest69
Why not a 20w Blackstar combi perfect for every style...

if they made it, but even then no.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I understand you're on a tight budget, but does it necessarily have to be solid state? I'm pretty sure you can find a decent used tube amp for 350€
REGGIE
Quote by dynastywest69
Why not a 5w or 20w Blackstar combi perfect for every style...

aren't Blackstars the "tube" amps that have more solid state components than a Fender Frontman? IIRC the quote goes "It's like somebody put tubes in it as a joke."
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Fender mustang
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
roland jc120
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
The cube is probably the best of the lot i'd go bargain hunting for a tube combo myself though.

I have an ultra plus 120 watt all valve head which cost £200 and a jet city jca2112rc which cost just under that NEW. So its certainly doable to get valve amps at a reasonable price if you hunt around.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jan 23, 2012,
There are many nice tube amps for cheap prices. Laney has some good models, Blackstar have valve amps, but if you want a real good amp go for roland cube 60. It is very versatile.
I can testify that the Peavey Bandit is an excellent amp. Tbh it blows any tube amp you'll get for your budget out of the water. People will say 'valves are the only way' but I'm sorry, a good solid state is better than a bad valve amp. Trust me, get the Bandit.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423
I can testify that the Peavey Bandit is an excellent amp. Tbh it blows any tube amp you'll get for your budget out of the water. People will say 'valves are the only way' but I'm sorry, a good solid state is better than a bad valve amp. Trust me, get the Bandit.

After playing both a Bandit and an Ultra at band practice, I think I can say this is wrong. (Except "a good solid state is better than a bad valve amp".). But the Bandit is not a good solid state, it's quite "meh". And a mah valve amp is better than a meh solid state. I'd just like to add to Any7423: I got my Peavey Ultra for 250 euros. That's what a Bandit goes for here, used.

The Ultra is between 175 and 300 euro, and there are other decent valve amps in that price range that's blow the Bandit out of the water. Valveking, Bugera V55, 6260, 6262, 333 are some examples, all of them new. Don't believe all that wank about valve amps for under a certain price are crap.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Jan 23, 2012,
Should be able to pick up a nice Randall RG series combo for that price. Randall make some fine ss amps.
Don't take me too seriously.

Live Life
Don't think I'd get that bandit. If you're thinking about a SS Peavey, and want some versatility, why wouldn't you look at a Vypyr??

And is this for home use? Or are you going to be jamming/gigging? A used Ultra + 1x12 cab or a used XXX 1x12 combo might be worth looking out for.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Why are you looking at shitty SS amps? You could easily find a used Vypyr Tube 60 with that price range.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Why are you looking at shitty SS amps?

he's trying not to, thus this thread.

plenty of good SS amps have been suggested.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have a linebacker 65 I believe, and it's a nice amp. The clean is a bit sterile, but the overdriven channel is pretty neat for a SS amp. I like it, and I definitely recommend it against the cube, which I hate with a passion.

The channel mix is what you plug in if you want to switch channels with the footswitch. The inputs A and B are independant and cannot be switched. However, if you plug in the mix without a footswitch, if I'm not mistaken, the two channels are actually stacked together.
Last edited by Darkflame at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by HellsBells666
I play many styles, from old-school thrash metal, hard rock, to blues/jazz and alternative rock.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/bugera_6262212.htm

330 EUR.

This is so far ahead of the amps you've posted, it's not even funny. Only problem? it's going to be pretty heavy to transport.

Thank me later.
Quote by WOWdoritos
Should be able to pick up a nice Randall RG series combo for that price. Randall make some fine ss amps.

This, I feel Randall gets overlooked alot of the time since they make alot of SS amps, and everyone thinks SS is lame, which they are not by any means.

The Bandit is ok, but I seriously think it might need a better speaker.

You can get a used Valveking 112 tube amp in that range easily.
Definitely go tube for that kind of budget. If you look used you'll be able to find some great amps for 350EUR
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by kyle62

http://www.thomann.de/ie/bugera_6262212.htm

330 EUR.

This is so far ahead of the amps you've posted, it's not even funny. Only problem? it's going to be pretty heavy to transport.

Thank me later.

Hey man, I really liked this amp when I tried it in store few months ago, but couldn't afford it (570EUR). And the prices of the music instruments and equipment in Serbia are almost the same as in rest of the Europe/USA, so I didn't bother to check the price for this particular amp abroad. Thank you very much for this info! I will order this amp from Germany ASAP! I just need to make sure that the transport is safe, so the tubes don't get damaged! Once again, thanks a lot for the info!

Cheers!
Last edited by HellsBells666 at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by HellsBells666
Hey man, I really liked this amp when I tried it in store few months ago, but couldn't afford it (570EUR). And the prices of the music instruments and equipment in Serbia are almost the same as in rest of the Europe/USA, so I didn't bother to check the price for this particular amp abroad. Thank you very much for this info! I will order this amp from Germany ASAP! I just need to make sure that the transport is safe, so the tubes don't get damaged! Once again, thanks a lot for the info!

Cheers!

If the tubes get damaged during transport, you should be covered by delivery insurance - Thomann are pretty respectable so I'd be surprised if that isn't included in their delivery charge.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
If the tubes get damaged during transport, you should be covered by delivery insurance - Thomann are pretty respectable so I'd be surprised if that isn't included in their delivery charge.

Useful info. Thanks!