Hello all,
I have a bit of a problem and I'm hoping you could help me.

As the title states; I have a problem with my guitar. It's a great guitar (Epiphone Sorento AS) and I've got it making the right clean warm sound that I want it.
Sounds good so far right?
Lately I have been playing quite a lot and I'm beginning to notice that the guitar is in fact working against me. It's like my Epiphone is slowing my fingers down. the fast licks don't go as smooth as they could go (It's not my technique I'm quite sure..).

Ofcourse it's great the guitar sounds nice, although I'm worried my guitar playing is improving but my guitar is keeping it back.

I hope you get me and hopefully someone has some useful tips!
thanks in advance!

Pam
A guitar slowing your hands down? Lolwut?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Sure your not just trying tp progress too fast? Either the neck is shit, or you just need to practice more.
How odd it may seem, yes. Maybe it's the neck or strings or something?
Quote by padumdum
As i stated, I'm pretty sure its not the technique

For what reasons?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Why are you sure it's not your technique?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
How long have you been playing guitar if I may ask?
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Whenever I play on let's say a maple strat the stuff I play just flows out of my fingers, and on my epiphany; it doesn't. I don't see why it's important to know the reasons to help me, but anyway; here they are.
Quote by padumdum
Whenever I play on let's say a maple strat the stuff I play just flows out of my fingers, and on my epiphany; it doesn't. I don't see why it's important to know the reasons to help me, but anyway; here they are.

Maybe you are not comfortable or used to the Epiphone?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by padumdum
I don't see why it's important to know the reasons to help me, but anyway; here they are.

Because you could just be acting really arrogantly and assuming it's not you when it is?

Since you say the strat is fine maybe the neck on the strat just suits your playing more or maybe it's been given a better set up?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
The epiphany is my first guitar, and I play a lot on it so Im quite used to it, but of late this problem has turned up.
I would hate to buy an other guitar because the sound of this one is just right. can't I adjust something to this neck?
Quote by padumdum
The epiphany is my first guitar, and I play a lot on it so Im quite used to it, but of late this problem has turned up.
I would hate to buy an other guitar because the sound of this one is just right. can't I adjust something to this neck?

Take it to a guitar store and get it properly set up, they'll dress the frets, adjust intonation and all that good stuff.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that the neck on your Epiphone is thicker and your action is higher than in comparison to the strat. Not much you can do about that neck other than get used to it, but you can always get the guitar set up so it feels better. But in all honesty, the only way it will feel better is practice more on the Epiphone.
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Fast fret is your friend.
Originally Posted by jazar94
Oh God, anal masturbation with a banana.
Wait...
**** YEAH! ANAL MASTURBATION WITH A BANANA!

Quote by Silent Murder
This man knows his cleaning essentials.

It'll smell nice afterwards too
by epiphany i assume you mean epiphone.

The feel of the two necks is as different as can be, there is a lot more "tension" in a strat neck because of the longer scale. It can make it easier to play hammers/pulls as you need less force to fret, but it's trickier to bend.

I suggest looking at your finger strength and adding a 5 minute hammer=on/pull-off exercise into your daily practice. If it is this your problem should be gone or at least reduced noticeably in 3/4 weeks.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
It's not unheard of for little things to effect your playing, but to say that you are out playing your guitar is a bit of a stretch. I don't think even the best players in the world can say that, they may need options a) b) c) and this profile guitar neck to be able play there style more efficiently but I don't think a decent working guitar is capable of holding someone back in playability.

What are more likely causes are:
-Your guitar needs a proper set up, having it done can make a world of difference.

-You're getting bored with what your playing it happens to everyone, you reach that point where you just don't feel the same way you did when you first picked up the song.

Crack some favorite toon's that you enjoy before hand to pump you up before playing, touring musicians do it all the time before going on stage because they are stuck playing more or less the same set day after day.

- Over playing, sounds crazy right? Well believe it or not you sometimes just need a break. Your brain needs time to sort things out and store all that information you're trying to take in, even if it's as muscle memory take a day or 2 and then just play casual for the week then get back to your crazy practice sessions.
the hammer on/offs aren't a problem. it's more like the sliding(you know what i mean?) is not smooth.
Quote by padumdum
the hammer on/offs aren't a problem. it's more like the sliding(you know what i mean?) is not smooth.

I'm gonna guess new strings or some fret dressing is needed.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Some great advice has already been posted here.
I must admit that I felt the same way after playing for a few years, and it just turned out that I subconsciously wanted new gear
After spending a few grand on new gear I realised that I just needed to practice more.

If you have any guitar friends that are really good, let them have a go on the epiphone and see if they struggle with it