Thanks, I actually wanted to use this as an intro track, so it's good to hear you feel it resembles that. And yeah, my name's a reference to EITS
Gorgeous. The piano has such a sweet, solemn sound to it. The strings are beautiful as well. Honestly, this is a truly captivating atmosphere. The way the volume slowly swells throughout, and it's just growing now. This is awesome. I'm typing with my eyes closed, this is incredible. I had to stop typing there, it's over now though That was great. The ending took me by surprise. I was expecting a buildup-climax-repeat thing, typical of most post-rock, but it seemed to end just before where the expected climax would be placed. Very nice, though I'm not sure if I really like it. It's such a good idea, it can be dragged out a little longer. But it may also take away from the beauty that lies within this abbreviated piece. Really good. I should also make a note of the production. Very clean, it sounds amazing. Perfect. This is really nice stuff man, do you mind critting my not-quite-as-good stuff? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513972
After listening to the entire song through the ending I feel is a little weaker than it could be. If the chord played at 3:33 was sustained then I think the ending would have been better. Also this isn't really a critique but the song to me sounds very cinematic, just something to note. Otherwise I really can't find much to fault, the song of course doesn't have the necessary 'hook' for an 'proper' song but with what your trying to achieve which I assume is either an album closer or opener this song is simply beautiful and well thought out.

Finally this is a song I thought you might enjoy judging by your song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18S7cDoadQA

Good job, heres a link to my song https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1514283
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I'm really glad you liked it, and I have to agree, I'm skeptical about the ending too.

I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with the ending as of yet. I quite like it as it is now, and it would make for a nice transition into the second song, which is in the same key. But when isolating just this song I have to agree, the ending could be a little more of a climax.

Guess I should finish the second song soon and see how well it flows.
Hey there,
First off, your chord choices are beautiful. I love minor key music (most of what I do is minor key). The strings enter into the song at the perfect moment. Again, beautiful chord choices. I appreciate you sticking with the piano line rather than mixing it up, I find that the repetition creates a sense of anticipation and sadness that would otherwise be diminished. This would be perfect for a film, in my opinion. Reminds me of Philip Glass' more minimalist works (think "The Hours" soundtrack).

My recommendation, however, would be to add something over the top during the climactic bit (starting at around 2:49). Maybe a glockenspiel or bells or something, but I think that it might add to the overall composition. Keep it minimal, of course

Great job! I really enjoyed this a lot.

You might enjoy some of my music, particularly my older work.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1514371
Thanks for the feedback man. I'll definitely give your suggestion a go, I can actually hear it in my head as I'm listening to the song and I must say, I like what I hear.

Btw, the second song is coming along nicely. The song is pretty much planned out as a solemn yet lifting piece, in the relative major key of the first song. I really can't wait to finish it so I can hear what you lot think of it.
Last edited by Day 1 at Jan 25, 2012,
Absolutely beautiful and atmospheric. I could listen to an entire album of music like this.

Stupid question though...what exactly is meant by "minimalistic" in terms of music? Is it just that it's simple, repetitive in nature, rather than having a bunch of different pieces?
Honey mustard is best mustard.
Within the first couple of seconds, I immediately understood what you were going for. I don't know if I can offer too much in terms of improvement since what you've got here is so digestible and works as is. This piece takes me on the ride and whatever happens, happens. I don't feel that way about too many pieces. I think it's the simplicity of the progression and the strings that dictate the paths you go down that makes it a journey. The only idea I came up with was possibly adding percussion towards the end, to eventually hit a crescendo - that's merely taste though, whether or not you want to take it to that extreme. Otherwise, the simplicity works with great effect. Very pleased I listened to it my man.

C4C - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513682
First off, your music actually took me back to an Explosions in the Sky concert I experienced, so good job! Really good production. Cool build too, but I do have some hopefully constructive criticism. I think the synth comes in a bit harshly and/or overwhelms the piano line. The high pitched synth that is. I think the song is a bit too mellow for the contrast that the battling pitches create. Also, before the synth comes in, it would be nice to have a base layer of sound slowly rise out of the background. Like a single synth note whose volume rises with the rest of the song. As for the ending...it's too abrupt. I would like to hear the piano just stop and have the synth repeat and fade out and end with a more drawn out note. Good job though!
C4C? My band is primarily metal but has a lot of post-rock influence. Check out Should Thinking be a Sense and Monolith please!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513394
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Last edited by Vinnie5 at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by TearsForWater

Stupid question though...what exactly is meant by "minimalistic" in terms of music? Is it just that it's simple, repetitive in nature, rather than having a bunch of different pieces?
Yeah, the repetition and gradual transitions is pretty much what describes minimalistic music.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback. I've updated the track, so hopefully it's better now. I extended the ending a bit and made the notes ring out at the end. I've also made some minor adjustments to the volume of the strings so they should come in better now.