If I have a 6-string tuned to Drop-B and play this chord:
Does a 7-string tuned to standard or A (Low to high: Adgcfad) have a chord opposition?
I hope you get what I mean
nope i don't get what you mean. but i'm sure learning music will answer your question.
Quote by z4twenny
nope i don't get what you mean. but i'm sure learning music will answer your question.

Can I transpose an ordinary rock-chord from Drop-B into standard 7-string tuning?
You can transpose anything into almost anything. You may have to figure out new fingerings, etc ... is that your question? Do the fingerings remain the same, just, uh, lower?
Quote by HotspurJr
You can transpose anything into almost anything. You may have to figure out new fingerings, etc ... is that your question? Do the fingerings remain the same, just, uh, lower?

First of all, what is the chord called?
Exactly, I want the same sound but have a different fingering. I basically want to play this chord in standard 7 tuning or in Adgcfad
If you're playing...

C#|---|
G#|---|
E |---|
B |-3-|
F#|-3-|
B |-3-|

...That's a D5 (or D power chord).

Playing a D5 on a seven string tuned to A would be...
D |---|
A |---|
F |---|
C |---|
G |-7-|
D |-7-|
A |-5-|
Quote by Lyrax
First of all, what is the chord called?
Exactly, I want the same sound but have a different fingering. I basically want to play this chord in standard 7 tuning or in Adgcfad

What is that chord called in drop B?

I assume those are your lowest three strings, right?

(Not to be a hardass - but it's much easier to answer your question if you write your question clearly).

Okay ... let's walk through this. What are the three notes you are playing there?

Can you find those three notes in the new tuning?
Quote by HotspurJr
What is that chord called in drop B?

I assume those are your lowest three strings, right?

(Not to be a hardass - but it's much easier to answer your question if you write your question clearly).

Okay ... let's walk through this. What are the three notes you are playing there?

Can you find those three notes in the new tuning?

Sorry, I didnt know how to put it, sorry! :/
That chord is on the three lowest strings, yes.

The guy above pretty much answered my question.
And if I am playing a rock chord over B-F#-B what would it be in standard 7-tuning and in the low A 7-tuning?

Im just trying to get a picture of where the chords should be so I can transpose some Drop B stuff to my 7-string.
I never was into the music theory section and now I am noticing that I should learn that stuff..
Seriously
Again, that question doesn't really make any sense... A 'rock chord'? Are you confusing it with a 'power chord'?
Quote by Y00p
Again, that question doesn't really make any sense... A 'rock chord'? Are you confusing it with a 'power chord'?

Isnt it the same thing? haha well, here in Sweden we call it a "rock-ackord". I guess I mixed it up a bit, sorry.
Ill try to clarify it.
If I play this chord on a 6 string tuned to Drop-B:
B 1
F# 1
B 1
What would that chord be if you transposed it to standard 7-tuning and to A 7-tuning?
I hope that this is clear enough!

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/s/slipknot/purity_ver2_tab.htm
Thats the song Im trying to transpose.
take the power chord

move the shape up a string and 2 strings higher

move the root note back 2 frets

voila

normally i don't advocate handing out answers but you've got a looooong way to go, ts.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
take the power chord

move the shape up a string and 2 strings higher

move the root note back 2 frets

voila

normally i don't advocate handing out answers but you've got a looooong way to go, ts.

thaank you. I know, my music theory section really sucks
This wasn't so much that your knowledge of theory sucks, it seems also your knowledge of 'applying something recently learned' sucks.

I just gave you the one for a powerchord on the 3rd fret in dropped tuning, this is the same thing but two frets down... There should've been a little bell ringing there, somewhere...
Quote by Y00p
This wasn't so much that your knowledge of theory sucks, it seems also your knowledge of 'applying something recently learned' sucks.

I just gave you the one for a powerchord on the 3rd fret in dropped tuning, this is the same thing but two frets down... There should've been a little bell ringing there, somewhere...

So I should be able to see that if a D5 power chord in Dr-B is on the 3rd fret and the root of the other powerchord (D5) is on the 5th fret in a 7 tuned to A, then if I did a powerchord on the 1st fret in Dr-B it would be 3-5-5 on a 7 tuned to A I think..

If I play 1-3-3 on a 7-string tuned to A it would be 3-5-5 on a 7 tuned to standard, right?
Can I find a scheme of powerchord names in different tunings somewhere?
Learn notes on the fretboard. For power chords the root note is the lowest note played.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Learn notes on the fretboard. For power chords the root note is the lowest note played.

I am aware of that the root note is the lowest note, but what I wrote above, is it right?
Quote by Lyrax
I am aware of that the root note is the lowest note, but what I wrote above, is it right?

Is the root in both chords the same note? I'm really not going to tell you.
Soundcloud
Quote by Lyrax

In this case, you are right.

Of course there are sites that provide you with all of that information, but if you really want to work on your understanding of theory (which you said you should), I'd advise you to do just that; Work on your theory! As soon as you have a basic grasp of the workings, THEN make yourself the charts you would want to have.
Quote by AlanHB
Is the root in both chords the same note? I'm really not going to tell you.

B1
F#1
B1 < Root Drop- B 6 string

A 3
E 3
B 1 < Root on a 7 in standard

Yes, they should have the same note
Last edited by Lyrax at Jan 23, 2012,
Quote by Y00p
In this case, you are right.

Of course there are sites that provide you with all of that information, but if you really want to work on your understanding of theory (which you said you should), I'd advise you to do just that; Work on your theory! As soon as you have a basic grasp of the workings, THEN make yourself the charts you would want to have.

Thank you! My question is now answered
Quote by Lyrax
B1
F#1
B1 < Root Drop- B 6 string

A 3
E 3
B 1 < Root on a 7 in standard

Yes, they should have the same note

See? You could have answered your own question! Now for extra points, what is this chord called? What are the notes in this chord?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
See? You could have answered your own question! Now for extra points, what is this chord called? What are the notes in this chord?

On the 7 string power chord it could be: C-G-C, unsure thou..
I dont know what they are called and neither the notes in the Drop-B powerchord..
Thanks for trying to learn me some new stuff!
Is there some good guide here on the web that youy know of that could help me?
I really would appreciate if you could link it to me!