I use a high gain setting, i love my setting and my sound, but i just want to add that extra gain and wow for a solo, i tried the Zack wylde overdrive but wasnt all that keen, any opinions?
You're sure that you aren't just looking for a wah?
Wahs are really essential for that "wow" in solos. At least to me they are

And then an OD, perhaps Tubescreamer-like pedal, to just boost the sound a bit?
Use it to color the tone a bit, or just boost the sound a bit, or perhaps add a little bit of overdrive to it.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Yeah you can't get much better than a tubescreamer, or something like it. But you could always go for a boost pedal too.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by gerraguitar
Yeah you can't get much better than a tubescreamer, or something like it. But you could always go for a boost pedal too.

But... a TS is a boost pedal...

Unless you just mean a pure clean boost, which IMO is only good for clean channels. They tend to get sloppy when used with distortion. Overdriven amp + clean boost is yummy, though.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
what amp are you using?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what amp are you using?

This should always be the first response to every thread.......
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by stratman_13
But... a TS is a boost pedal...

Unless you just mean a pure clean boost, which IMO is only good for clean channels. They tend to get sloppy when used with distortion. Overdriven amp + clean boost is yummy, though.

Que?

How can a clean boost "get sloppy" when an OD does not? You do realise how little sense that makes right?

TS: As you disliked the ZW I guess you'd dislike a tubescreamer as they're similar (the major difference is the ZW clips assymetrically.) What did you not like about it? If it was the mid boost you can always find TS style pedals without them (or mod one yourself.) If it's the grit there are plenty of clean boosts around.

Also if you're in a really high gain situation it's unlikely a boost or OD will do what you want as you'll already have severe compression from your amp, that's why you don't get picking dynamics in death metal. Adding an OD/boost won't increase output too much but will add more clipping, if your sound is really high gain this may not even be noticeable... Moral of the story? Try reducing the gain for your everyday playing so that you can "wow" when you need it for a solo/special line.

(NB: This is me assuming your gain is too high, I'm not even familiar with the amp listed so this might be BS)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
Que?

How can a clean boost "get sloppy" when an OD does not? You do realise how little sense that makes right?

i'm guessing he means because most ods (the ones you'd tend to use as a boost) cut the bass and tighten things up. (like a tubescreamer). whereas most clean boosts try to be (reasonably) transparent and aren't doing that.

but i'd agree, you can get ods which don't tighten things up, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about more powerful pickups or either some booster swtichs? If your guitar is weak, there's no pedal to fix it.
Lots of people like the TS9 and Boss SD-1, but your best bet is to try them out at a store and see which one you prefer
Quote by cemges
What about more powerful pickups or either some booster swtichs? If your guitar is weak, there's no pedal to fix it.

No thats exactly what pedals can do for you. It´s no problem to overdrive a fender to modern high gain if you want to. Besides, he said he loves his sound when not playing solo, high gain pickups would destroy that.

Tubescreamer 808
Your playing ability
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
If it's transparency your looking for (i.e. no mid bump and bass cut) and if you have the money (or the patience to wait for a decently priced used one), try out the TC Electronic Nova Drive. It's super transparent and incredibly versatile.

Edit: This is going off of what Dave said a couple posts up.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
eq with a mid hump and the level all the way up. pushes the amp AND bumps mids for your solo. has other uses too
Guitars:
FENDER Sugar Rush, Scala-Caster Strat
KRAMER Striker600ST (from 86)

Amps:
MARSHALL Haze 40

Pedals:
Rocktron Banshee 2 Talkbox
Boss MD2
Crybaby
Visual Sound Tremolo
FAB Chorus
Quote by Facecut
No thats exactly what pedals can do for you. It´s no problem to overdrive a fender to modern high gain if you want to. Besides, he said he loves his sound when not playing solo, high gain pickups would destroy that.

Tubescreamer 808

i agree that ods can give you a pretty good boost and make weak pickups seem more powerful, but i don't think an od will turn a (vintage) fender type of amp into a metal monster. not used as a pseudo clean boost, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?