I'm very interested in learning theses sweeps, I know the rest of the song but just never bothered learning these bars. I've never really tried to much sweeping before and was wondering if I could get some help.

So whats a good way of practicing and become proficient at a sweep picked riff?

I'm familiar with playing riffs at slow tempos and gradually picking up the speed, but is this the same technique to use with sweeping? obviously with alternate picking, the picking wouldn't really change between going fast or slow. but i'm not sure how this would work with sweeping, considering i could end up learning it a particular way at a slow speed and find out its not very economic at faster speeds.

Would it be possible for someone to just label which notes would be down picked and which would be up? And some techniques for getting the riff done solidly?

Also general techniques for figuring out the most economic pick patter on sweeps is appreciated as well.
If these are your first ever sweeps, dont be getting your hopes up of playing them well for a while. Sweep picking and economy picking are the same as others, you have to practice practice practice to get them sounding good. How i learnt how to sweep pick is to break it up by just using the left hand to finger the notes, then once your capable of that, use your right hand to pick but dont ever use two hands at the same time until you feel comfortable with doing so. As always start of slow and build your way up. If your sweeps are a bit difficult, try easier ones to do like below, then expand on different arpeggios. Good luck!

e|------12h15---------|
B|---13--------13-----|
G|12--------------12--|
Quote by Dispersion
So whats a good way of practicing and become proficient at a sweep picked riff?

Slow the passage down and make sure you're using perfect technique at that speed. Slowly build up the tempo until you're playing with perfect technique at your desired tempo.

I'm familiar with playing riffs at slow tempos and gradually picking up the speed, but is this the same technique to use with sweeping? obviously with alternate picking, the picking wouldn't really change between going fast or slow. but i'm not sure how this would work with sweeping, considering i could end up learning it a particular way at a slow speed and find out its not very economic at faster speeds.

Like every other technique, it's same at slow speed as at high speed. The only difference is the speed.

Would it be possible for someone to just label which notes would be down picked and which would be up? And some techniques for getting the riff done solidly?

Also general techniques for figuring out the most economic pick patter on sweeps is appreciated as well.

Ascending/descending notes on adjacent strings all have the same stroke. That's kind of the point of sweeping. You don't need to worry about a picking pattern; you just keep going.
Like everyone else has said, you just have to slow it down. And I mean REALLY slow it down.

Set a metronome to 60. Once you can play the sweep perfectly 15 times (just to emphasise, perfectly 15 times not 15 times. You may end up have to play the sweep 100 times before you can get it perfect. Once you have it perfect and then screw it up say the 7th run, you start from the beginning again).

Then, increase the metronome by ten and do the same process. (As you get faster you may have to lower the amount you increase by the metronome by, even if that means only increasing by one)

Don't do this in one sitting though, set yourself a goal, maybe try and reach 90. Then do something else for a bit and come back to it.

What I find is, this gets really really boring. It's very easy to lose patience and speed up. But once you speed up, you start to cheat without realising and, as Lori Linstruth put it, you end up just 'hacking' through it and not playing it properly.

Sweep picking is all about synchronisation between your left and right hand. Once you can do it though, just be aware you shouldn't overuse it. Sweeps are very mechnical. They sound cool but only in small doses.

Keep in mind, this will take a few days, maybe even longer if this is your first sweep. Don't let slow progress dishearten you, as long as you stay motivated, even just ten minutes a day will get you there
I don't think i'd recommend that sweep for your first sweep.. Too much string skipping and a tiny bit of alternate picking. It'd throw you off too much if you wanna focus solely on sweep picking. This however is just my opinion.
Personally i think for your sweep you should focus on a real basic arpeggio

Eg.

e|-----------------13h17p13----------------------13h17p13-------------13h17p13
B|-------------15---------------15-------------15---------------15-----15--------------15
G|---------14-----------------------14-----14-----------------------14----------------------14~~~~
D|-----15-------------------------------15
A|-17
E|

That is one of the easiest sweep shapes you can play in my opinion, and it's those kind of shapes that got me started on sweep picking. I still warm up quite a lot with that particular sweep, and you can play it anywhere on the neck. You don't have to play it on the exact frets i tabbed.

I know a lot of others will say differently but those kind of sweeps helped me to improve a lot. After you get much better you'll wanna start getting into more complicated sweeps with stuff like rolling, string skipping, sweep tapping, big stretches etc etc. For now though i think it'd be best to start off with something easy.
Last edited by vayne92 at Jan 24, 2012,
what is the original tempo. It looks to me like an alternate picking part if it´s not faster than 160bpm.
This is a good exercise to get started, just two strings.

..d..u...u..d..d..u.u..d..d..u...u..d..d..u...u..d
E|12-9--------11-9--------12-9---------14-9-------
B|-------12-9--------12-9--------12-9---------12-9

Once you can play that solidly move up to some of the 3 string arpeggios.