Beach Boys Bass...Carol Kaye/Brian Wilson...any thoughts???
Bass/Amps/EQ/Pick- Fingers/chord scales???
What?

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
(thoughts)...AWESOME!!

I know (from pictures) he(Brian Wilson) used Fender P Basses. Probably Fender amps, too.
There is a lot of info out there on the old Googler.

According to Bass Player Magazine, Carol Kaye used Fender Precision Bass, Danolectro 6-string and Fender Super Reverb Amp.

Google and YouTube are your friends on stuff like this.
Quote by glennick
(thoughts)...AWESOME!!

I know (from pictures) he(Brian Wilson) used Fender P Basses. Probably Fender amps, too.

According to Bass Player Magazine, Carol Kaye used Fender Precision Bass, Danolectro 6-string and Fender Super Reverb Amp.

finally somebody with some music knowledge!!!! thanks

I thought the info on this subject was pretty slim pickins'...
Quote by jtkguitar
Beach Boys Bass...Carol Kaye/Brian Wilson...any thoughts???
Bass/Amps/EQ/Pick- Fingers/chord scales???

Maybe you should try putting your thoughts into complete sentences.
Quote by Pandawithapick
Maybe you should try putting your thoughts into complete sentences.

sorry, I was under the impression that most of the world is/was fluent in 'text'....
Quote by jtkguitar

You my friend, are a prick.

Quote by jtkguitar
sorry, I was under the impression that most of the world is/was fluent in 'text'....

Text Meaning Make Maybe Not
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
jtkguitar, in the bass forum we generally use complete and grammatically coherent sentences. I suggest you follow suit.

Everyone else either answer his question or don't reply.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
jtkguitar, in the bass forum we generally use complete and grammatically coherent sentences. I suggest you follow suit.

Everyone else either answer his question or don't reply.

Clearly, my thread was complete, coherent and grammatically correct (with correct use of punctuation ta boot) as "glennick got it...see below...

what more info was required??? should I have written it in braille???

"Originally Posted by glennick
(thoughts)...AWESOME!!

"
Last edited by jtkguitar at Jan 23, 2012,
Glennick was taking the time to sort through your grammatical boneyard and put together a skeleton of a post and then figure out what you wanted. Honestly, if you can't take the time to put together a reasonable sentence, many of us won't take the time to respond in a manner that answers your thread's questions.

Much of the Studio work done by the Beach Boys bass-wise, was Carol Kaye and other studio musicians. Check out her website, its full of her take on bass playing (for good or bad) and its pretty extensive on her gear.

And try being a tad less abrupt and a bit less tiresome. Btw, arguing with a mod is not in your best interests. Take it from a former mod on this forum.
Last edited by anarkee at Jan 23, 2012,
There's also a certain Mr Jamerson you should look into when it comes to achieving the tone that Carol Kaye achieved on some of the records that she, ahem, "played on". Fortunately that one is moot when talking about the Beach Boys...
A few minutes of googlin' suggests he was a piano player who wrote his bass lines and all song parts on the piano. His brother taught him on upright bass, and he quickly transistioned to a P bass, playing with his thumb, fingers held to the tug bar, and eventually also experimented with a pick. I'm sure given the dates of his activity, he used a fender or otherwise tube amp, and probably kept it warm and bassy.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You my friend, are a prick.

Text Meaning Make Maybe Not

THANK YOU SIR!

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Brian Wilson was a fairly competent musician, though his main instrument still tends to be keyboards rather than bass. His real talent was in composing and arrangement. His downfall was his mental illness battles, which is why they brought in Carol Kaye and others, from Pet Sounds forward. Carol Kaye was the primary bass player for the infamous Smile sessions.

Jamerson had a very distinct bass sound and I always found Kaye's contention that she played on some of the Motown hits a bit ludicrous. For many, Jamerson really broke the mold for session bass players and bass players in the sixties.

For most of those 1960s albums, the Precision Bass was king. During that time period, Carol Kaye used primarily a Pan-O-Flex (Versatone). I agree with askere in that Wilson probably used a Fender amp. Jamerson's funk machine when performing went through an Ampeg B-15.

/history lesson.
^Agreed. It was definitely a Fender of some sort.

Neat P-Bass, too.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by jtkguitar
Clearly, my thread was complete, coherent and grammatically correct (with correct use of punctuation ta boot) as "glennick got it...see below...

what more info was required??? should I have written it in braille???

"Originally Posted by glennick
(thoughts)...AWESOME!!

"

Stop being an absolute plonker, and for your information on the early Beach Boys recordings Brian wilson used his thumb.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn