Hey All,

Did a search on this one and didn't find what I was after completely so apologies if this has been answered. Just wondering what are the major differences aside from price on the Fender Stratocaster's that are made in Mexico, USA, China and I believe also Japan?

Is there a difference in the quality of the components being used (i.e wood and electrics and so on) or is there only a difference in quality of the overall finished guitar? What are people's thought's on the Fender MIM Deluxe Players Strat? Good, Bad, Terrible, Awesome?

Also is there anything to look out for in particular on second hand Strat's? Thanks guys new to Fenders and would love to get one soon!
I forget where I heard this from, but, "Fenders are either made in Mexico by Mexicans, or in California by Mexicans." Joking aside, there is a slight difference in quality from MIM and MIA. MIJ's are superb quality, but hard to find and expensive. That's about all that I can think of.
Quote by ibanart300

Is there a difference in the quality of the components being used (i.e wood and electrics and so on)

yes
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok cool is there anything I should keep an eye out for when going for a used Stratocaster are they known to have like a common issue anywhere on them or do they wear in particular places easily?
i guess you'd want to check teh trem's not banjaxed. the metal can wear at teh contact points (though that might be a bigger problem on a floyd )

big thing with strats (and any bolt-on instrument) is that it's so easy to swap necks, bodies etc. that you want to make sure you don't have a partscaster. you also want to make sure it's not a cheapo squier with a retrofitted fender badge on it.

EDIT: also make sure the frets aren't worn down.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ahhh okay very good advice thank you sir indeed. I have seen a few Strats that are labelled as Frankenstrats that have squire bodies but with upgraded electrics and Warmoth necks. Theses have tempted me because they go for quite cheap but they aren't the real deal so yeah I'll give them the flick.
Quote by ibanart300
Ahhh okay very good advice thank you sir indeed. I have seen a few Strats that are labelled as Frankenstrats that have squire bodies but with upgraded electrics and Warmoth necks. Theses have tempted me because they go for quite cheap but they aren't the real deal so yeah I'll give them the flick.

In this case, make sure you get the specifics of what's used.

Like, in the case of Squier body/Warmoth neck, generally ask for what Squier it was.

Like if it was Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modern or something, it'd probably be quite worth it. But if it was like, a Squier Bullet or something, it's probably best to go for a used MIM Fender or something (I assume it'd run a similar price).
Quote by Mohican
I forget where I heard this from, but, "Fenders are either made in Mexico by Mexicans, or in California by Mexicans." Joking aside, there is a slight difference in quality from MIM and MIA. MIJ's are superb quality, but hard to find and expensive. That's about all that I can think of.

you can get mij's from canada.
Eh... honestly, the only downside to those kinds of frankenstrats are resale, and if you get them for cheap... well, then that isn't even that big of a deal.

Warmoth necks are really just as good, if not better, than a Fender MIA neck. Yeah the Squier bodies, especially the cheap Affinity and Bullet bodies suck, but the Warmoth necks are solid and the neck is more important on a strat anyway.

Warmoth, USACG, Musikraft and Allparts necks are all good. Allparts makes the necks for Fender Japan, and Bill Nash, Mark Jenny and the old Rocketfire strats all use them.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 23, 2012,
Just the quality put in, hand wiring and stuff. Fender have filled the gap between mexican and the high end squiers with the modern players series which unlike other fenders are made in the squier factory in china. MIM deluxe strats are great though!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
oh yeah, when i said to watch it's not a fake i just meant to make sure you're not paying fender custom shop prices for a frankenstrat
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I wouldn't want to do that. I am really keen on the MIM Deluxe Players Strat as they seem affordable new, around 850 AUD. I mean I think in America they go for more like 750 or less but the shipping must drive costs up. But it's great to see that the quality isn't too bad on some of these. If I were to go cheaper say a high end squire what would you get out of the squires?
I like the Squier Classic Vibe guitars. I'd definitely put them ahead of the MIM standard strats and teles which I've never been big on. One thing that I really like about the Classic Vibes are the necks and the fretwork. I'm really pretty amazed at how good the fretwork is on them, every guitar that I've played has been well set up with nice action and no buzzing. They have better pickups than the MIM standard Fenders too.
Okay thanks heaps guys really appreciate the comments and opinions. With the standard strats which one would be the better for the price the 60's re-issues or the deluxe players strats or just the standard strats?
Quote by ibanart300
Yeah I wouldn't want to do that. I am really keen on the MIM Deluxe Players Strat as they seem affordable new, around 850 AUD. I mean I think in America they go for more like 750 or less but the shipping must drive costs up. But it's great to see that the quality isn't too bad on some of these. If I were to go cheaper say a high end squire what would you get out of the squires?

Yeah they do seem like a great deal, thats actually next on my list. I've heard people saying that they are pretty much all MIA parts that are just assembled in mexico. Best MIM value strat I've come across. People say they're the MIM hidden jem of strats. I'm really digging the sunburst and sapphire blue with maple necks.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by ibanart300
Okay thanks heaps guys really appreciate the comments and opinions. With the standard strats which one would be the better for the price the 60's re-issues or the deluxe players strats or just the standard strats?

i like the reissues best, but how much of that is personal preference, i dunno
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
squier just brought out new stuff at namm. theres a jim root tele that i really like for around £300. the squire jags are good too. i have a mim fender blacktop, and theyre an excellent choice. i got mines around £50 cheaper because i bought it second hand from a music store.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
while all strats pretty much look the same the feel and sound of the various models can be rather different. it is really down to preference. play a few and see what feels and sounds the best to you. sometimes you will find a MIM fender that is better than the US ones in terms of feel and even sound. keep in mind that you can do upgrades as well if you find a good MIM or even one of the better squiers. having said that i do prefer the US made ones most of the time. in the end it's really a matter of what works for you. none of them are inherently "better" per se.
i was hoping to get some negative remarks on my last post.it validates my opinion that high end fender and others tend to look down on anyone who plays a FENDER squier strat,tele,ect:yes i am an experienced musician,NO,i don't have a CAPS problem,and i'll defend the squier line to anyone.to say that the squier strat isn't even a fender product,is just being silly.these squiers are great for new players,and for ANY guitarists.the squier affinity strat,takes one back to the golden age of stratocasters.the three single coil pick-ups,5-way switch,vol,tones,and the alder body.perhaps i OWN the only good affinity series strat,because everything that came from the factory on this guitar are A+.check the pricing on the new squier guitars,599.00,and down.this line will replace the mim,mij and other guitars with the same quality.we'll see another line come out of fender that will go after the new players.so the folks with higher end equipment will have a new instrument to PUT DOWN.is it to hard to remember the FIRST time we all picked up our first guitar?i'm thinking that the 1000.00 dollar guitar owners are pissed off,because they realize that there are some squier models that sound BITCHIN.david gilmour could make a squier strat pop,as well as others in his league.i won't make fun of those that have the expensive equipment,don't KNOCK others equipment.we all love to make music,and thats the most important thing.beside the squier,i own a 70's martin acoustic,a couple of zoom 505's,and my amps are marshall's.i'm looking at a mia tele,thats needs work.if my price is acceptable i'll own a mia tele.after a fix-up i'll let you folks know how it stands up against my affinity series.rock on my friends.
Quote by oldeskoolmann
i was hoping to get some negative remarks on my last post.it validates my opinion that high end fender and others tend to look down on anyone who plays a FENDER squier strat,tele,ect:yes i am an experienced musician,NO,i don't have a CAPS problem,and i'll defend the squier line to anyone.to say that the squier strat isn't even a fender product,is just being silly.these squiers are great for new players,and for ANY guitarists.the squier affinity strat,takes one back to the golden age of stratocasters.the three single coil pick-ups,5-way switch,vol,tones,and the alder body.perhaps i OWN the only good affinity series strat,because everything that came from the factory on this guitar are A+.check the pricing on the new squier guitars,599.00,and down.this line will replace the mim,mij and other guitars with the same quality.we'll see another line come out of fender that will go after the new players.so the folks with higher end equipment will have a new instrument to PUT DOWN.is it to hard to remember the FIRST time we all picked up our first guitar?i'm thinking that the 1000.00 dollar guitar owners are pissed off,because they realize that there are some squier models that sound BITCHIN.david gilmour could make a squier strat pop,as well as others in his league.i won't make fun of those that have the expensive equipment,don't KNOCK others equipment.we all love to make music,and thats the most important thing.beside the squier,i own a 70's martin acoustic,a couple of zoom 505's,and my amps are marshall's.i'm looking at a mia tele,thats needs work.if my price is acceptable i'll own a mia tele.after a fix-up i'll let you folks know how it stands up against my affinity series.rock on my friends.

this guy again.

here's a guitar you try this ok.

Prs se Holcomb is the answer
^ I don't get what you're trying to say. No one said anything's wrong with the affinities, they're just made of lower quality components.

So.....you're saying some squiers are better than 1k+ guitars and people who own said guitars are "bitchin" about it? I don't know anyone who fits the description. Unless I completely misunderstood you.

And can you please split up your text? And use capital letters at the beginning of sentences? Please?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
+1 to JKHC, I don't recall anyone saying anything bad about the Affinity series. I ended up going with a Squier CV 60's as it was cheaper and I felt it met my needs and seems pretty good in regards to parts and build quality.

As for the 1000+ dollar guitars, they are 1000+ for a reason. Not just because of a name or model. They are that price because they generally use the highest grade materials and have better equipment installed and have a lot more quality control done on them before they are released to ensure you are getting a nice guitar.

If people here on UG can only afford an Affinity then that's fine they shouldn't be made to feel like they HAVE to change equipment to keep up with the Jones' but having said that people are entitled to an opinion even if you don't agree. Next time don't use this forum to blow up and make yourself look silly in an attempt to make yourself feel better about what you own. And please use punctuation!
Quote by ibanart300

If people here on UG can only afford an Affinity then that's fine they shouldn't be made to feel like they HAVE to change equipment to keep up with the Jones' but having said that people are entitled to an opinion even if you don't agree. Next time don't use this forum to blow up and make yourself look silly in an attempt to make yourself feel better about what you own. And please use punctuation!

+1 to everything this man said. Especially the last sentence.

If you have an abnormally good Affinity, how good can it be? The hardware, as we all know, aren't the best. You can't get an "abnormally good bridge" because they're all mass produced and have no room for differentiation. Even if yours is a 1 pc body, the pickups will still be mediocre and won't compete with 1k+ guitars.

No one said anything bad about Squiers. You just get what you pay for.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
i hear you guys saying that you have no problem with the squier.perhaps this is true however,i read all over the fender website that the squier is a piece of ---t.after reading the negative remarks i started looking for one to buy,to see if the reviews were right.this guitar is a FENDER product,with a warranty backed by FMC.read the squier reviews,made of plywood,guitars splitting in half,and tremelo that knocks the guitar out of tune.i haven't found any of these complaints to be true with this squier.i apoligize for my remarks,and yes the affinity strats can't hold a candle to the MIA line.watch the squier line go up in price,across the board.
Please stop posting in old threads, and especially stop bitching that people don't like Squiers as much as more expensive guitars.

We all have opinions, and your ability to type poorly or in CAPS doesn't mean yours is right.