First of all, I am very sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting such a thread!

I am planning in the near future, to set up a small-scale service of guitar set-up's and stuff. Since I set up and service/adjust all of my own guitars, I don't know what kind of price range to charge for my services..
What I plan to offer is,
Guitar set-ups - intonation, string height, cleaning etc.
Repairs - Snapped necks, faulty electronics, others on analysis.
Upgrades - Pickup switch-outs, Onboard effects installation, Wiring changes.

Could people give me ball-park prices as to what to charge for these kind of things? I have experience from building and repairing my own and friends' guitars.
Check to see what shops in your area are charging. That'll be your best bet. Also make sure it'll be worth it for you to enter that market.
There is only the one shop i the area, and it offers only set-ups. So I would assume I could make it into the market to some degree anyway! It's a small town, but full of musicians, and I know a fair few of them. This will only be a small project, Just to get together enough money to afford a car for college next year, not necessarily a long-term thing since I don't expect it to kick off hugely!
Maybe offer set-ups a bit lower than the other shop?
But most of us won't know because we'll base everything off of American/Canadian(canadians get angry when you leave them out)/English/whathaveyou prices.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I find that $30 is a fair price for a full set up including changing strings, oiling fretboard, cleaning electronics if necessary, restringing, and intonating.

Repairs you would set up an hourly price generally, not charge by the piece. Someone with no professional experience (I'm assuming this means you) should be charging far less per hour than the people who have been doing it for years professionally. Maybe $30 an hour. Same goes for things like wiring changes, etc. I paid $50 for a pickup change a month or so ago.

There are some important considerations when starting up a new business that you may want to think about. You need to have insurance in case you damage someone's guitar. Could you afford to buy someone a new $500 guitar? how about $5000? If not insurance is important and usually a requirement for business licensing. Secondly, you need to be concerned with business licensing in your area. It is a crime in most jurisdictions to operate a business without a business license. Just trying to give you some sage advice to avoid a headache in the long run. Hope that helps.
Quote by seano554
There is only the one shop i the area, and it offers only set-ups. So I would assume I could make it into the market to some degree anyway! It's a small town, but full of musicians, and I know a fair few of them. This will only be a small project, Just to get together enough money to afford a car for college next year, not necessarily a long-term thing since I don't expect it to kick off hugely!

You'll need one of these in sign form to hang in your shop...

"We know you are a good friend, BUT nevertheless,
we must charge you our usual fee for the services that we provide you.

Actually we dislike having to charge our friends, but we did a study,
and found that none of our enemies did any business with us!"
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I hadn't thought of insurance or anything.. :/

Arby911, Touché but by knowing a fair few, I meant that I would say Hi if I saw them, only one or two are close enough friends that I'd 'do a deal' so to speak! The rest are just a method of getting customers!

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys! Serious food for thought...
Well, if you're not willing to be serious about it ie. not wanting to deal with getting insurance, taxes etc. you could always just tell your friends and other musicians that you'll do it at home. That way it's sort of a side-job.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?