Hey UG, I've been into Fairport Convention lately, was hoping you guys could suggest to me some other British folk bands with a similar style
Thanks
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
It depends on what you mean by "folk." Adele has some cool stuff, with a little bit of folk influence, though not much. Mumford and Sons are a great band. Someone correct me if I'm wrong cause I don't listen to them, but Flight of the Concords maybe? I'm not too terribly familiar with british folk. Old school you could try The Clash, they had a lot of different influences and some of their stuff is folksier.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
This isn't British but Of Monsters and Men are pretty sweet. They're from Iceland. Pretty cool stuff.
Quote by jjbarnes
It depends on what you mean by "folk." Adele has some cool stuff, with a little bit of folk influence, though not much. Mumford and Sons are a great band. Someone correct me if I'm wrong cause I don't listen to them, but Flight of the Concords maybe? I'm not too terribly familiar with british folk. Old school you could try The Clash, they had a lot of different influences and some of their stuff is folksier.

Flight Of The Conchords are a comedy band from New Zealand xD
Never really heard much folk influence in The Clash, but Mumford And Sons are decent
Try out Cat Stevens, he's got alot of folk influences. Also, there's a great Irish folky-rock band called The Saw Doctors, check them out. Kirsty Maccoll has a few folky songs, but alot of her stuff is more varied
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
thanks for the suggestions guys, i love cat stevens and the clash, digging of monsters and men and saw doctors right now
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Paddy McK
Flight Of The Conchords are a comedy band from New Zealand xD
Never really heard much folk influence in The Clash, but Mumford And Sons are decent
Try out Cat Stevens, he's got alot of folk influences. Also, there's a great Irish folky-rock band called The Saw Doctors, check them out. Kirsty Maccoll has a few folky songs, but alot of her stuff is more varied

Not all of the Clash's stuff is folk influenced, you have to look for it. I don't listen to Flight of the Conchords so I was just going off what I had heard. I knew they were comedy, I just wasn't sure what style they played their comedy in.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by jjbarnes
Not all of the Clash's stuff is folk influenced, you have to look for it. I don't listen to Flight of the Conchords so I was just going off what I had heard. I knew they were comedy, I just wasn't sure what style they played their comedy in.

Yeah fair play FOTC are good, really funny they do quite alot of different stuff
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Jehannum
Pentangle

+1
you'll also want to check out steeleye span and fotheringay - those 2 are probably the most similar bands to fairport you will find.
bellowhead are essential listening too. nothing like fairport really, but just as innovative a take on british folk. one of the best live bands in existence, too.

what fairport albums you got? if you don't have all of the first 5, plus heyday, then you need to get downloading

Quote by jjbarnes
Mumford and Sons are a great band.

a successful pop band but quite possibly the worst folk act in existence
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by Swannie
Hey UG, I've been into Fairport Convention lately, was hoping you guys could suggest to me some other British folk bands with a similar style
Thanks

Pentangle, fotheringay,
Streets of London sends shivers up my spine, quite possibly the most beautiful song ever created.
I hear Mumford and Sons are great. I have the album and I have to say its one of my favorite albums of this decade!