So I own an Ibanez RG 120. I wanna know if it will be worth it to either change the pick-ups, or if I should just save my money and buy a better guitar. And if it would be worth it to change the pick-ups, what pick-ups should I put in it?
I say save and get a new guitar, a good set of pups costs 260quid where i'm from and thats not including costs to have them fitted if they need a routed cavity, and if the pickups were for that guitar, I wouldn't bother. What i'd do would be to save for a new guitar, maybe a ballsy epiphone les Paul or a Fender Blacktop. But, it's your choice. That would be my recommendation.
7>6!
Schecter Diamond Demon 7
Washburn WG587
Blackstar HT-40 Combo
Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby 95q
Boss NS-2
-DSD-3
Digitech Whammy
-DL4
My sig got smaller! I hate this recession...
Quote by ShaneCallaghan
I say save and get a new guitar, a good set of pups costs 260quid where i'm from and thats not including costs to have them fitted if they need a routed cavity, and if the pickups were for that guitar, I wouldn't bother. What i'd do would be to save for a new guitar, maybe a ballsy epiphone les Paul or a Fender Blacktop. But, it's your choice. That would be my recommendation.

Yeah I already have a guitar picked out. Just wanted to know if it was worth it or not. Thanks
what kind of sound do you want from the new pickups compared to your current sound? also, what other gear do you use?
---
Too difficult to answer based on the info given. If the pups you want are expensive and you only want to buy new, it might make sense to save and buy a different guitar (used or new). If you're looking at pups that are relatively inexpensive and want to find a used set, then it might make sense to just upgrade what you have.

It sort of sounds like you're not happy with your current pups but don't really know what you'd want instead of them. Is that the case? If so, you might try making a different thread asking about pickup options in your current guitar that could get you close to the sounds you're after (of course you'll have to describe what those are).

You'll then get a list of suggestions, with a few that several people will agree on in a big way. Go check out what those cost new and then search for some used ones. You'll probably end up with your answer.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
if you like the way it looks plays and feels...then just go ahead and upgrade...

if not...

save up for a better guitar.....it is fun to find the nice and shiny one of your dreams...
I haz gotten gud
Quote by Robfreitag
what kind of sound do you want from the new pickups compared to your current sound? also, what other gear do you use?

Well the pups are REALLY cheap... Price wise and sound wise. One Infinity 3 and one Infinity 4. Im looking for a little bit of a brighter sound out of them. I dont have any pups in mind yet, but im open to suggestions.

Equipment:
Ibanez RG 120
Line 6 Spider III (switching to a Marshall Stack soon, hopefully...)
Quote by sauce3696
Well the pups are REALLY cheap... Price wise and sound wise. One Infinity 3 and one Infinity 4. Im looking for a little bit of a brighter sound out of them. I dont have any pups in mind yet, but im open to suggestions.

Equipment:
Ibanez RG 120

Upgrading the pickups can be worth it, but only if you like the rest of the guitar enough to warrant spending several hundred bucks on it.

Please keep three things in mind though:

1) should you want to sell the guitar later on, any modifications you make will not make a substantial difference in the guitar's value. In other words: provided you leave the new pickups in when selling, you won't get your money back. This isn't a problem if you keep the guitar, just bear it in mind.

2) new pickups are more of a way to 'fine tune' your sound than to radically alter it, so don't expect too much. Also, you need to have a good responsive amp to get the most out of your pickups. Playing through your Line 6 Spider, you might not get as much of a change in tone as you'd hope for considering the cost of new pickups. On that note: when you say "Marshall Stack", do you mean a tube or a solid state Marshall? If the latter, don't bother (it's not worth it).

3) if you're investing a good amount of money in the guitar anyway, there are other things - like the electronics (volume pot, etc.) and also the tuners - you'll want to think about upgrading as well.

Summary: by all means upgrade, but don't expect a significant change in resale value, don't do it if you haven't got a nice amp, be sure you like the guitar enough and consider swapping out other parts, too.

Right, now that that's out of the way: suggestions. Personally, I love DiMarzio's and would very much recommend them (I find they work well with most Ibanez models). Be sure to look at other manufacturers as well (like Seymour Duncan). If you live near a large(-ish) music store, there's a good chance you can try some guitars with the pickups you're looking at already installed.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by sauce3696

Equipment:
Ibanez RG 120

Get a better amp. Dont upgrade pups when a set of pickups is almost the cost of that guitar. Or more if you get bkps...

I can get great bright clear articulate tones with my RG370, same pickups, better amp.
Seriously. Its not the pickups.
Wait, really? Nobody has said it?

What you really need is a new amp.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie