Hey forum,

So i recently went to a concert, and the lead guitarist at one point did this incredible dive bomb, but unlike a normal dive bomb, when he was raising the pitch of the harmonic, he actually let go of his guitar, and was holding it up by the tremolo bar. How do you do this...
Herman Li from Dragonforce does that alot. You can just hold the bar and wiggle the guitar, or you can block the trem so that your strings won't possibly snap.
He was lifting the guitar SOLELY by the arm? and the pitch was still going up?
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Don't do this. I can see the bridge popping out of it's position and the tremolo arm coming out (if it's not a screw in one) and things going very bad.
Quote by conor-figgy
Don't do this. I can see the bridge popping out of it's position and the tremolo arm coming out (if it's not a screw in one) and things going very bad.

I do it all the time. I blame Vai's playing in "Crossroads" for making it look so cool!
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
The amount of force generated by the weight of the guitar isn't really that much. For large range it's better with regular technique. Otherwise, hit harmonic, hold trem bar.
Place elbow on the body, so it counters when you lift the tremelo.

The angle dictates the pitch along with your wrist.

I wouldn't do it personally unless for show and you have a spare guitar.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
It was actually a7x, and syn was doing some crazy shit, he kinda does it during thr lbc beast and the harlot live at about 1:36, but during the live i went to, he actually held it there for a long time, not throwing it up like herman, but smoothly holding it up.
That's because it's synyster ****ing gates? In all seriousness it's just for show and why would you want to do that? Pretty pointless unless you're playing live and wanna show off. Even then, i don't think you'd wanna risk breaking the guitar.
lol i saw a7x live and i wondered how he did the last riff to "Unholy Confessions" while holding his right hand up and the guitar up with his left while still playing. He rested the body on his stomach and then did pulls offs with his left. but thats a different story... lol he is f*****g sick
Quote by CageTheGates
lol i saw a7x live and i wondered how he did the last riff to "Unholy Confessions" while holding his right hand up and the guitar up with his left while still playing. He rested the body on his stomach and then did pulls offs with his left. but thats a different story... lol he is f*****g sick

He doesn't hold it on his stomach, he just has a shitload of strength in his forearm so he can do it.
Quote by CageTheGates

Jason Becker could do 100x better riffs whilst yo-yoing. Talk about sick.
Or something called a strap and straplocks, and his right hand just keeps the neck angle in check. Not the point. The point is how on earth does he do this without his tremolo just copletely snapping on him, not to mention he still contols the sound?
I think it's more of a stage trick than anything else. Unless you have no muscles on your arms you should still be able to pull off the same sound with regular technique.
Quote by Deadsilver
Or something called a strap and straplocks, and his right hand just keeps the neck angle in check. Not the point. The point is how on earth does he do this without his tremolo just copletely snapping on him, not to mention he still contols the sound?

Read my post. Herman and Syn do it the same way.
Raise in air, create angle with arm to determine pitch...
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Deadsilver
Hey forum,

So i recently went to a concert, and the lead guitarist at one point did this incredible dive bomb, but unlike a normal dive bomb, when he was raising the pitch of the harmonic, he actually let go of his guitar, and was holding it up by the tremolo bar. How do you do this...

Like play behind your back, or with your teeth, it is more of a cheap stage trick than a technique, used to impress people with poor playing skills or non guitarists.

If you want to do tricks for showmanship, at least come up with something original. For most people, time is better served by meaningful practice.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by BlackbirdPie
Like play behind your back, or with your teeth, it is more of a cheap stage trick than a technique, used to impress people with poor playing skills or non guitarists.

If you want to do tricks for showmanship, at least come up with something original. For most people, time is better served by meaningful practice.

Oh come on. I don't condone trying it and I certainly would never do it, but have you ever stopped to think that it could just be them having fun? Y'know, what playing should be all about?

ITT: Anything apart from the 'norm' of guitar playing is just someone showing off.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Quote by vayne92
He doesn't hold it on his stomach, he just has a shitload of strength in his forearm so he can do it.

I can do it too because I'm a man man.
Dude, where's my band?
Quote by Deadsilver
Hey forum,

As soon as I read this, I knew you were on about Syn. I've seen him do it aswell and it looks epic. I've done it a couple of times before.

I do it by holding the guitar by the trem bar (Obv) and as I pull the bar up, i also push the guitar down slightly with my elbow and the part of my arm thats resting on the guitar.

It's hard to explain, but I hope you get the general drift of it
I would never do that to my baby :P
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Deadsilver
Hey forum,

If I could afford to buy a new guitar every day then I'd happily abuse them and swing them round by the trem arm all day long.

I'm assuming you're not in that financial position - can you figure out where this is going?

I'll give you a clue, it begins with "r" and ends in "etarded"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com