So I hear all sorts of things about the mids when it comes to tone.

Some say the mids give your sound more "body"...which makes me wanna crank it up to 8

Others say that the mids-section is the frequency-zone where the vocals kick in...which makes me wanna scoop it to 3

I own a Peavey 6505 and run it through a Marshall 1960 A cab. I play mostly metalcore (Parkway Drive, Vegas in Ruins, August Burns Red,...)

Anyone care to share some wisdom?
Last edited by Kriptonite_r at Jan 23, 2012,
Mids: Scoop em to zero.

It is really what sounds best in your tone and with your gear. It is going to vary depending on the situation. Just don't scoop them to zero.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
too little mid will let you get drown out easily, too much will sound harsh. Play around with your tone, but be wary that you may find a scooped sound to be preferable when practicing, only to be drown out in a band situation.

edit: I also find that a scooped sound really brings out the gain and sounds more modern whereas more mids give you a more classic full bodied medium-gain crunch.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Jan 23, 2012,
Your 6505 is a very mids-heavy amp, so your situation is a wee bit different. Rolling your mids off is what many beginning metalheads do, because it sounds cool when you play by yourself, it sounds cool. However, play with a full band and keep those EQ settings, and good luck on being heard. The best advice I can give for EQ settings is don't get unfairly attached. Be ready to spin those knobs to make sure that you're getting a good sound, don't just figure out some exact settings and never touch them again.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Many bands (Linkin Park for sure) use scooped mids live. Many do that because the guitar isn't supposed to stand out from the mix but many bands (like ACDC) turn their mids up a bit to give it a bit of punch.

What sounds best to you.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
It depends on the amp and what's going through it, and what kind of sound one is going for or what medium or genre one is working with. Also, "Mid" in the sense of the mid knob on an amp is one thing, and "Mid" in the broader sense of mid-range frequencies is another thing ("mid" represents a whole frequency range, with high and low mids; there are all sorts of more specific things that can have to do with "mids").

I personally don't generally like significantly "scooped" tones. If it makes any sense at all, it's in the context of metal, and just for power chord rythm parts. A "scooped" tone for lead parts just doesn't work - it'll either sound too thin or too muddy, or both (mud on low notes and "chugga chugga", and thin-ness on middle-upper register lead parts; a mid scoop could just as well be relatively seen as a low and high spike).

I very much prefer at least a lightly mid-boosted tone, especially for leads. And if I'm doing jazz, I'm likely to shoot even more toward the opposite of a scoop (boosted mids, cut highs and lows; for "roundness").
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Jan 24, 2012,
a 6505 needs at least half way up mids, its probably best at around 6-7ish. that amp is just not supposed to be scooped. mids are what make the guitar cut through all the other instruments/sounds in the room. also keep in mind that the presence knobs has a large affect on mids as well, the more its turned up the more it cuts through. i just saw august burns red last night again for the 100th time and they definitely have a very middy live tone which helps all the guitar parts stand out.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
cutting mids is not a good thing to do at a gig if you want to be heard. i play pretty mid heavy.

however the way our brain processes sound at lower volume levels (TV volume), more lows and more highs make it sound better to most peoples ears. however you turn you volume up the sound will change and when you turn it up, the scooped mids don't cut through.

ever have an mp3 play or stereo that had a "loud" switch on it? it didn't really make it much louder if at all in reality, it just boosted the highs and lows, and likely the db was the same or similar just sounded louder to you because that is how the our bodies work.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
likely the db was the same or similar just sounded louder to you because that is how the our bodies work.

idk how related this is but this is why tube amps are louder than solid state. the actual volume isn't higher but tube amps can project more of certain frequencies that sound louder to our ears.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Depends on whether you want to be heard or not. If you want to disappear back into the mix scoop your mids.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bass 0 mid 10
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
On that amp, you're really not "scooping" the mids if you set it at 3-4 out of 10. It's very high in the midrange department. I find on mine that if I go over 4 on the mids it just sounds harsh. But at around 3 or 4 it's got a nice punch and I believe it would still cut through the mix. (I don't play with a band.)

But also, I don't max out the treble and bass either; they sit at around 5 and 7, respectively.

On other amps though, if you're scooping the mids, you REALLY are scooping the mids, and it can sound thin and lifeless.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Crank them mids up and use a tubescreamer for even more honk, you'll cut through like a knife! The amp I currently own (Ibanez TSA15H) only has EQ dials for Bass and Treble, mids are set permanently to honk- and that's the way I like it
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
I hate too much mids.

Fact is you have to mix and re-eq for every different room, different guitar, different playing style. If you like cutting your mids to 0 at home, do it, but be prepared to spend some time EQing when it comes to jamming or playing a show.

Like said, cutting the mids will help vocals sit a bit better. You may find you'll want to boost your mids when it comes to solos.

Also cut your bass a bit to help the bass guitar sit in the mix.
depends on: (in order)

speakers
pickup
cabinet(construction)
room

There is not a standard setting for anything...
DONT SET YOUR TONE WITH YOUR EYES!!!!!
DO IT WITH YOUR EARS!!!!
If it sounds good on 2...leave it if it sounds good on 8...leave it there...
Remember...always be ready to change EVERYTHING in a live situation or in a recording...not just the mids...gain,bass treble etc...
Think of the "MID" control as a "On a scale of 1-10, how good do I want to sound?" knob.

Quote by GS LEAD 5
Will sound honky.

That's racist.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Think of the "MID" control as a "On a scale of 1-10, how good do I want to sound?" knob.

Obviously someone who has never spent any time with a 6505+, along with several others on this thread.

It depends on the amp, the room, the guitar/pickups, and whether or not other people are playing instruments.

"0" and "10" are rarely a good choice on ANY Eq setting, and that goes for gain and volume as well. Personally, I can't stand my 6505+ with anything higher than 4 on the mids. At 4/10, it has more mids than most any other amp, especially with a TS-9 engaged.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
on my 6505+ I keep my mids from 4-5.5, depending on if I'm playing with a band or not
My Guitar Rig:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Peavey 6505 slant cab
MXR Smart Gate
MXR Noise Clamp
Ibanez ts-9 tubescreamer
Ibanez RGA72tqm with EMG 81/85

Other Guitar Gear:
Fender Vibro Champ
TTM Guitars Devastator
LTD EC-200
Quote by darkwolf291
No, the guitar lies in the midrange.
You should never scoop your mids in a band situation.
You'll never be heard no matter how high you crank your amp

+1
The guitar is a Mids instrument.
In your bedroom it may sound cool.
Live, in band, you may as well stay home if you scoop your mids cause you won't be heard.
Not very well at least.
Unless that's what you are going for.
Quote by kangaxxter

That's racist.

You've never played a 6505 or a really middy amp, have you?

Although the "That's racist" comment is getting sigged. I really did laugh
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Goodtimes666
idk how related this is but this is why tube amps are louder than solid state. the actual volume isn't higher but tube amps can project more of certain frequencies that sound louder to our ears.

i don't really care for it when somebody pulls out one or two lines of what i have typed when the relevant part was ignored.

i was saying that scooping the mids sounds better to our ears at low TV levels, becuase of some physical reason. i don't remember. when you turn the amp up, the perception of the highs being higher and lows being higher, resulting in lower level of mids. hearing is more true at a somewhat louder volume to a certain extent.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't really care for it when somebody pulls out one or two lines of what i have typed when the relevant part was ignored.

i was saying that scooping the mids sounds better to our ears at low TV levels, becuase of some physical reason. i don't remember. when you turn the amp up, the perception of the highs being higher and lows being higher, resulting in lower level of mids. hearing is more true at a somewhat louder volume to a certain extent.

lol yea i know it wasn't that relevant, i was trying backing you up though
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by kangaxxter

Maybe until you get to 1 o clock... too much mids can sound just as shit as no mids. I think you may be semi joking though
I've always had little markers on my amp for gigs that were determined while playing with the band. It isn't the settings I use when I'm playing by myself though. I turn the mids down a bit when I'm alone but if I try to keep the settings the same once everybody else starts playing I disappear in the mix.
Awesome tone by yourself rarely equates to awesome tone once the drums and bass get going.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Goodtimes666
lol yea i know it wasn't that relevant, i was trying backing you up though

i must have read wrong. sorry,
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
it's a matter of taste, anyone who tells you what number your mid control should be pointing to hasn't considered any of the important factors.

how much midrange you need is really a matter of taste - if you want to be in the background there's nothing wrong with scooping your mids a little, but you have to work it out entirely by ear and make your own judgement - not enough? turn them up. too much? turn them down.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by stratman_13
You've never played a 6505 or a really middy amp, have you?

Although the "That's racist" comment is getting sigged. I really did laugh

I dont see whats so funny it sounds honky like a horn with excessive mids....