I see alot of people saying that economy picking is very difficult to master.

But I find it very easy to play with economy picking, so much so that I'm trying to 'reteach' myself to use alternative picking more.

Is economy just one of those things where 'once you learn it, it becomes very easy'?
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Alternate picking is strictly down, up, down, up. Economy picking is the same, unless there is a string change, in which case you pick towards the new string.
Smell ya later!
Quote by Hippy's Son
wow, these people are a bunch of stupid drama queens. everybody dies, idiots, not every guitar breaks.

UG's resident Pokemon Leauge Champion!
Pokemon RBY CYOA!
I can't imagine economy picking ever feeling natural before going out of your way to learn it. You're lucky. I'm not sure there's much point in learning to alternate pick if economy already feels natural, to be honest.
The two have very different sounds and can be applied differently. Alternate picking has a punchier sound and works a lot better for passages that feature skipped strings. Economy picking is great when you're changing to adjacent strings frequently.

I think the main reason I started learning economy picking was for the second riff in Protest the Hero's Nautical. Alternate picking did not feel natural there, though I'd been using it for some pretty interesting string skipping bits. However, the adjacent strings just felt right to use economy picking on.
I see alot of people saying that economy picking is very difficult to master.

But I find it very easy to play with economy picking, so much so that I'm trying to 'reteach' myself to use alternative picking more.

Is economy just one of those things where 'once you learn it, it becomes very easy'?

Honestly, either style is very hard to master. Pick the picking style you want based on the sound you want and the material you play. Generally, alternate picking is more aggressive sounding, economy picking is smoother and very handy for arpeggios.
It's probably just personal preference, but I find that when using economy picking and trying to play the main riff to Scarified or just generally a sextuplet in a 3 note per string scale, it sounds like that I'm taking a small break in between changing strings.

As soon as I started making my picking exclusive to alternate, it was a lot more fluid sounding.
master both, dont worry about a thing.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Slashiepie
master both, dont worry about a thing.

True story.

this is what I did. And now I use both and switch between the two without even thinking about it. They are appropriate for different things, and when the time is right i jsut do it and not even really have to think twice
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw

Yeah, you've "mastered" either style.

(don't get me wrong, getting good at both is great... but mastered is a different thing! )

Here's a handy pair of picking exercises btw -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOsvZdvVndo&list=PL8285311F648D6999&index=3&feature=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFlX54OoSsA&list=PL8285311F648D6999&index=13&feature=plpp_video
mastered, learned, gotten good at, whatever. No need to worry about terminology. I just know how to use both and after 15 years of playing i like to think i am not bad at either one. just sayin

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
Well, after 15 years I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, frankly I've heard so many people in this forum say they've "mastered" something after 18 months I start to forget there's people genuinely good out there.
yea that happens to everyone. i sometimes forget that not everyone started playing when they were 9 or 10 years old lol

but to answer the general question of the topic starter. i think economy picking is pretty much like any other technique. once you become proficient at it, it happens subconsciously when the time is right for it.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
Unless your name is paul gilbert then you haven't mastered alternate picking..
Quote by mrbabo91
Unless your name is Al di Meola then you haven't mastered alternate picking..

Fixed it for ya. Paul's fast and all, but Al gets similar speed with far more variation in his licks. Paul's fastest stuff is built around the same patterns; Al is all over the place.
Oh how could have i forgot shawn lane....

I thought Al Di Meola used mainly economy picking.
I started as an economy picker and eventually taught myself alternate. It was a pain, but it paid off as I can now apply both to my playing for each of their respective uses.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Quote by Freepower
Well, after 15 years I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, frankly I've heard so many people in this forum say they've "mastered" something after 18 months I start to forget there's people genuinely good out there.

It's possible to master a technique after 18 months You just have to practice it 15 hours a day strictly without using this forum and doing anything else

Look at Jason Becker, he played for like 10 hours a day striaght just practicing and he was a monster at sweeping. I would say he mastered it quite well.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90