I was wondering about this, because the guitar I'm thinking about getting (Ibanez af75tdg), well after playing it extensively the action is higher than the fender strat I'm used to playing and I wouldn't really want to spend 400$ on a down grade...

So I heard that a profestional set up can work wonders for a guitar, and maybe some strings that are easier on my fingers, but how far can this go
they literally will set it up exactly how you like it, just make sure they do it in house and its a reliable shop. i brought my guitar in to be set up and when i got it back nothing was changed, when i gave it back they gave me shit, and when i got it back again it was even worse and all the notes were dead. so moral of the story, make sure the shop is reliable
Quote by moses132049
they literally will set it up exactly how you like it, just make sure they do it in house and its a reliable shop. i brought my guitar in to be set up and when i got it back nothing was changed, when i gave it back they gave me shit, and when i got it back again it was even worse and all the notes were dead. so moral of the story, make sure the shop is reliable

Yeah I'm just worried about if it's a not a high end guitar (500$) of it will even be capable of a real nice feel and such.

Also, wow that shop sounds horrible! I'll be careful.
Another option is to set it up yourself. All you need is a screwdriver and some time.
Then the setup is free and exactly how you like it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Another option is to set it up yourself. All you need is a screwdriver and some time.
Then the setup is free and exactly how you like it.

After the things I've heard, idk if that'd be a good idea, as in I don't know what a "truss rod" is but it's evidently important, also this guitar has a floating bridge, and there's things like shaving the nut that I know nothing about.

Once I'm more experienced though I'd love to save the cash.
It can work wonders.

No kidding it gave my Squier Affinity Strat the same playability as my MIA Strat. They had to shim the neck, too.

As for stings, they'll put whatever strings you want.

I got my calluses on 10s, then later went to Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom strings (10s on the highs, 11s on the lows) for my drop D guitars. I've got 9s on the shredder guitar (not that I do much shredding). Sometimes the high E cuts into my fingers with the 9s on a long slide. Still have 10s on the Strats.

Sure, the 9s are easier to bend, but the thicker strings give a more satisfying feel. Gotta say that the 9s practically play themselves, but the fact they're on an RG Prestige might have something to do with it, too
What kind of strings would you recommend that would be soft on my weak baby fingers?
Quote by Makko Mace
After the things I've heard, idk if that'd be a good idea, as in I don't know what a "truss rod" is but it's evidently important, also this guitar has a floating bridge, and there's things like shaving the nut that I know nothing about.

Once I'm more experienced though I'd love to save the cash.

I don't think the truss rod would need any messing with. Unless it came like warped from the factory.

Anyone is more than competent to adjust action and intonation. All you need is a screw driver an allen wrench. The tiny one.
Guitars:
'95 MIM black label strat
'99 MIM telecaster
'05 Squier bullet hardtail
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
'94 Peavey Classic 30 w/WGS ET65 + 2x12
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
Quote by Makko Mace
What kind of strings would you recommend that would be soft on my weak baby fingers?

.14s
Toughen up princess
Quote by &baconstrips
.14s
Toughen up princess

No

I'd say start with 10s and if you need to, then go to 9s. But 10s should be thin enough.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
There's not standard but I'd say 10 is the most commonly used.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Most guitars come with 9s but most UGers seem to like 10s.

You need thicker strings if you're using lots of low tuning.

Or if you have a short scale. My 24" scale Mustang comes with 10s and they play like 9s on a 25.5" scale.