I recently bought several blank grey pedal enclosures and I wanted to put some funky designs on them before implementing the electronics. Does anyone have any ideas and how I could pull it off? The more unique, the better.
if you want something unique and original, asking people for ideas isn't the best way to get it

but do you want to paint a design, or use decals?
or something else?

Painting an enclosure a solid colour, applying a decal and clear coating it isn't too hard really, you just need an idea of what you're doing design-wise

depending what kind of effect the pedal is, you could always do a design related to the effect type?
Quote by james4
if you want something unique and original, asking people for ideas isn't the best way to get it

but do you want to paint a design, or use decals?
or something else?

Painting an enclosure a solid colour, applying a decal and clear coating it isn't too hard really, you just need an idea of what you're doing design-wise

depending what kind of effect the pedal is, you could always do a design related to the effect type?

I'm mainly asking what's the best way to do it. I have literally no artistic skill. I've spray painted guitars before, but never stompboxes. I've always used pre-coloured ones.
There should be a paint thread around here somewhere. I myself always use pre painted boxes, but powder coating seems to do a great job. I'd say if you were to paint boxes with brushes, then you'd want something hard, but not too hard, as it could chip easily. Dunno if you'd want to apply a layer or two of clear cot on top of everything too.
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
I'm actually about to begin building my own pedals - first set of parts are on their way here... so I've been wondering the same thing.

I would assume decals on transparency paper or decal paper would work best, and then cover them with clearcoat til you get rid of the decal edge.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
What types of pedals will you be building?
I pride myself on my humility.
Paint the booster like a super mushroom. You know you want to.
I pride myself on my humility.