Is a Hybrid amp more tube, or more SS? Which attribute, is more readily apparant in a hybrid amp? Reason I ask is I have a 40W Blackstar HT-Club 40, and I have a Crate G40C SS. The Blackstar blows it away in all categories, I can't turn the BS up past the 1/4 mark without rattleing stuff loose in my house, whereas the Crate can be cranked full volume, and not even get close to the BS voume. The tone is waaaay better as well.
I know the Blackstar is considered a hybrid, but is it more tube, or more SS? From my limited experience I'm leaning toward more tube, but I realize that there are people out there with far more experience than I.
Normally the Pre Amp Stage is Valves and the Power Amp Stage is SS.

Which is fine because the sweet sexy distortion comes from the Pre Amp. Power Amp distortion is just nasty so the Blackstar amps work really well.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire

Which is fine because the sweet sexy distortion comes from the Pre Amp. Power Amp distortion is just nasty so the Blackstar amps work really well.

this
cept for the..power amp distortion being nasty alot of people myself included love power tube distortio
Power amp distortion is nasty? Are you on drugs? The preamp of the HT's is more SS than the power amp is.
Both power amp and preamp have a large impact - just compare a SS Vyper to a Vyper Tube. The only difference in those is the power amp and it makes a massive difference.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Every company that puts out a "hybrid" amp usually has its own version of what it means by "hybrid". Some are more tube, and some are more SS.
Quote by Cathbard
Power amp distortion is nasty? Are you on drugs? The preamp of the HT's is more SS than the power amp is.
Both power amp and preamp have a large impact - just compare a SS Vyper to a Vyper Tube. The only difference in those is the power amp and it makes a massive difference.

I think he meant that SS power amp distortion is nasty.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Mack56, what makes one more so than the other? I honestly don't know, I mean I can tell the difference between the HT Club 40, and the Crate G40C, and I know the BS is hybrid, and I know the Crate is SS. I guess what I'm ultimately trying to determine, is what makes one brand more SS, and what makes the other more tube? Is there one thing, or (multiple things) one should look at?
I'll not get into the semantics of which sounds better, as I know that is a subjective thing, that is determined by a multitude of end results.
Well, in these cases the most important things to look at are:

1. where the tubes are, as in preamp or poweramp
2. How many there are. Usually if it only has one tube, they really are mostly SS
3. What type of tubes they are. people tend to use certain types of preamp tubes in their decoys
Quote by Mack56
Well, in these cases the most important things to look at are:

1. where the tubes are, as in preamp or poweramp
2. How many there are. Usually if it only has one tube, they really are mostly SS
3. What type of tubes they are. people tend to use certain types of preamp tubes in their decoys

Alright, I'm learning something now!
1. What am I looking for here?
2. Pretty well self-explanetory
3. What type of tubes am I looking for?

Just using my BS for an example, I know that it has 2 ECC83s, and 2 EL34s, though admitedly, I have no idea where they are located in the chain.
So:
1: I don't know where they are.
2. I know how many I have.
3. I know what type they are. (But I don't know what type is used in mostly SS vs. tube style hybrid amps.

By the way thanks for the education!
Quote by Mack56
Every company that puts out a "hybrid" amp usually has its own version of what it means by "hybrid". Some are more tube, and some are more SS.

The term hybrid is not dependent on how much of each is present. If both technologies are present it's a hybrid. There is no weighting involved, either it is or it isn't.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
as far as I know the Ht series uses 1 12ax7 for the actual preamp. the other 12ax7 is the PI for the power section. it gets its gain from ss cliping diodes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I use a Fender Rock Pro with a tube preamp and a solid state power amp.

Clean channel sounds like a solid state, and the two gain channels are very tube sounding. I like it.
It depends on the amp. Some are mostly tube (JCM900 Dual Reverb), some are mostly solid state (Valvestates), some have one section of one and one section of the other (Randall V2).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Robbgnarly
as far as I know the Ht series uses 1 12ax7 for the actual preamp. the other 12ax7 is the PI for the power section. it gets its gain from ss cliping diodes.

Not completely accurate, as stated mine has 2 ECC83s, and 2 EL34s.
Quote by SW1970
Not completely accurate, as stated mine has 2 ECC83s, and 2 EL34s.

Yes, one is the Phase Inverter, and one is in the pre amp. The two EL34's are power amp valves.

Quote by oneblackened
It depends on the amp. Some are mostly tube (JCM900 Dual Reverb),

Just waiting for Cathbard.

Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by ChemicalFire

Go tell that to anyone who plays or played a vintage Marshall, or Fender or Vox.
The phase inverter in a HT is SS.

The preamp on a JCM900 DR is mostly SS. Valve power amp though. The power amp on them is fine. Keep the gain down and the volume up and they aren't that bad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use a Legend Rock N Roll 50, a hybrid made in New York back in the early 80's. It's a combo, but I run it through a 4x12 to fatten up the tone a little. Sounds great for what I do, which is rock based and doesn't call for extreme gain (would not suit most metalheads).

It has 3 12AX7's in the preamp and a fat, tubey sounding SS power section. No one has ever guessed it's a Hybrid. Cleans are very good, not quite Fender-y shimmery but not far behind. Lead channel is more Marshall voiced, somewhat bright, but not too harsh.

I would love to find another of these in good shape. It makes me wonder we don't see more hybrids with multiple tubes in the pre-amp.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by sjones
I use a Legend Rock N Roll 50, a hybrid made in New York back in the early 80's. It's a combo, but I run it through a 4x12 to fatten up the tone a little. Sounds great for what I do, which is rock based and doesn't call for extreme gain (would not suit most metalheads).

It has 3 12AX7's in the preamp and a fat, tubey sounding SS power section. No one has ever guessed it's a Hybrid. Cleans are very good, not quite Fender-y shimmery but not far behind. Lead channel is more Marshall voiced, somewhat bright, but not too harsh.

I would love to find another of these in good shape. It makes me wonder we don't see more hybrids with multiple tubes in the pre-amp.

i have a R &R 50 2x12 myself and agree that it is kinda odd that you don't find more amps like them. when i run either a distortion pedal or an overdrive through the preamp the amp really comes alive. i used mine for the las couple f years i played in bands and we were doing metal. it's also one of the loudest amps i've ever come across made the other guitar player with a 50 watt marshall and a 4x12 bottom beg for mercy.