I recently got a Ibanez Prestige S5470 which comes with two stock Hot Grinder Pickups neck and bridge, with a short tracer in the middle. I am not really a fan of them and have been looking around to replace them, mainly due to the short sustain decay in the upper frets and I hate how the neck pickup sounds.

My band plays in C# standard (so 3 half steps down from E standard) and we're moving more in the direction of tech metal and jazz. I'm thinking of putting in a d-sonic to the bridge, and maybe a PRS 57/08 treble pickup in the neck and have no idea what the hell to put in place of the single coil short tracer in the middle. I'm not sure if this would even really be a good combination at all but I'm just grabbing ideas from what i've browsed on the internet so far.

I'm fairly new to customizing my own sound and pickups so does anyone have any advice or ideas?
PAF Pro or Liquifire in the neck, JB or Crunchlab in the bridge, maybe a Lace Sensor or SD Hot Rails for the SC.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Seymour Suncan Distortion is always worth a look for the bridge, although the JB mentioned above is also a good option. Might be worth checking out some of the hotter DiMarzios too. For the neck, you really can't go wrong with a DiMarzio PAF Pro, fantastic neck pickup when paired with something hot in the bridge, gives you a great range of tonal options.

Might also be worth checking the setup and making sure everything's tight and secure if you're missing some sustain.
If you're willing to spend the coin, check out Bareknuckle Pickups. They're pricey but worth it.
NOPE
crunch lab or maybe a tone zone (very different, yet either direction it sounds good, i lean more to the tone zone though), however i think the crunch lab would be a more common consensus here.

i like Air Norton's in the neck. i haven't had experience with that PRS pickup to say anything about it. i am sure i have played it on a PRS, but do not remember having an opinion on it or recalling what pickup it was. Liquifires are good in the neck as well, however i haven't tried one through my rig, but i have played it on a friend's rig, XXX or JSX, i really don't remember which. so that isn't definitive either, but it sounded really nice and creamy on the 'ultra' channel. i remember liking it.

hope something helped.

i also really dislike JB's. the only SD pickups i like and have played here and there are the '59 (neck) and a jazz (neck as well).

i am on person who really likes Gibson pickups, but most disagree with me. i am in love with the 500t and the Dirtyfingers. 500t may be really nice for you guitar.

as far as single coils go in ibanezes (haven't played the S a whole lot, i do own a RG 3550MZ), they aren't very useful. they are so much quieter than the other pickups (the factory installed TZ/AN) and don't have much in terms of balls to match and be useful.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Do you think getting rid of the short tracer completely and just playing with two humbuckers would solve the sustain issue?
Quote by Bob.Ego
Do you think getting rid of the short tracer completely and just playing with two humbuckers would solve the sustain issue?

i may be misunderstanding, but how could the middle pickup hurt sustain?

the main thing is what i am saying is, on my 3550MZ, which came stock with true velvet in the center (HSH), paired with a tonezone and an air norton. the output of the true velvet is so weak, that if i were to use that pickup, i feel i would need to switch on a little bit of clean boost, if playing and switching between your humbuckers.

if the output wasn't so drastically different, i would use it. it sounds great.

first off, anything listed above would sound better than your current pickups.

as far as what pickups from the BKP's, i personally have never tried them.

i won't say what i don't know.

i won't say i would or wouldn't buy them.

however. i was talking to some other guy on here a while ago (just searched for the thread extensively and can't find it, i would like you to see his opinion first hand). this was right after i got my Ibby. he had a very similar model, i know it wasn't mine exactly but it wasn't, a lower end guitar than mine. he had the factory dimarzios, bought a full set of BKP's. probably ~$350-400 (this is the only thing i don't know, as i do not remember the currency or where he was from).

i asked him how much more do you like the BKP's than the dimarzios, and if they were worth the money. he said something along the lines of if Bare Knuckle were a 10, the Dimarzios would be an 8.5. he said there wasn't a ton of difference for the price. he said it sounded good both ways, and did like the BKP's better, but said something along the lines of you just have a guitar you really like and want to spend some money that is not needed for anything (gear or life related), they were a good purchase.

take it for whatever it is, but that was the conversation was. i think it was just him and i back and fourth totaling maybe 10 posts and nobody else.

if i remember to do so later, i will try for more searching.

there are tons of pickup manufacturers out there. BKP has a huge following here, IMO a potential bandwagon. i will end up with them at some point, but its not too high on the priority list for me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i may be misunderstanding, but how could the middle pickup hurt sustain?

I'm not entirely sure either, i'm going off of what I read from another thread in some forum from a person with the same guitar who said he took it out and it seemed to resolve it, however i don't know if he messed with the wiring or what. I'm the same way pretty much, i'm not going to try and front about what I don't know.

My guess was that it takes away from the other magnets? I really need to brush up on my knowledge of pickups and the electronics behind them. Those BKP's sound pretty sick though, i've been just browsing youtube and listening to people demo them but there are people who put a whole effects/pedalboard system through their amp and don't really give you the opportunity to listen to what it sounds like raw from the amp. I liked that BKP had sound clips on their website but all of the samples sounded the same, maybe my computer speakers are just shitty? haha
are you certain the sustain problem is the pickups' fault?

Not saying it definitely can't be the pickups' fault, but there are a bunch of other things it could be, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you certain the sustain problem is the pickups' fault?

Not saying it definitely can't be the pickups' fault, but there are a bunch of other things it could be, too.

This.

Pickup height?

If the pickups are too close to the strings, sustain can be affected.
The middle pickup could hurt sustain if it's too close to the strings, but that can be said about any passive pickup. If that's the case, lower it.

You haven't mentioned what amp. The amp is the most important factor to your overall tone, then guitar, then fingers. Pickups conrtribute a small fraction and you're probably going to be dissapointed.