Often times I will hit a note and there is buzzing. Sometimes it sounds like buzzing on the frets.
Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the nut though.
Any idea where I should start looking to see if I can fix this??

I have a Schecter Damien Fr if that makes any difference.
Did you recently switch to a higher string gauge? Your truss rod may need some adjustment (assuming you properly set up your Floyd Rose).
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Pick up a copy of "How to make your electric guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine. Best $14 you'll spend on your guitar. Even if you never set up your guitar personally, you'll instantly know what the problem is when you have one.
Quote by RR3tran
Did you recently switch to a higher string gauge? Your truss rod may need some adjustment (assuming you properly set up your Floyd Rose).

I'm using 10-46 DR's. But I think they've always been 10-46. I have had them on there since the first month of getting them and it's never been an issue.
The floyd is parallel to the body an everything as well. The peice on the headstock thats like a little black bar that you can srew in seems to be whats making the noise.

Quote by dspellman
Pick up a copy of "How to make your electric guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine. Best $14 you'll spend on your guitar. Even if you never set up your guitar personally, you'll instantly know what the problem is when you have one.

I don't have $13 ATM but if I can get it I'll do so.
Sometimes the top collar of the string tuners loosen and cause a harmonic buzz that's hard to diagnose. See if all the little screws and the collars on your tuners are tight. Loosen the strings to check. Good luck.
Quote by zilant
I'm using 10-46 DR's. But I think they've always been 10-46. I have had them on there since the first month of getting them and it's never been an issue.
The floyd is parallel to the body an everything as well. The peice on the headstock thats like a little black bar that you can srew in seems to be whats making the noise.

Are you referring to the string retainer? If that's not screwed in right, it'll cause all kinds of intonation problems. Though I haven't heard of them causing a buzz
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Quote by RR3tran
Are you referring to the string retainer? If that's not screwed in right, it'll cause all kinds of intonation problems. Though I haven't heard of them causing a buzz

How do I know if it's screwed in properly? I'm a complete noob in case you guys haven't figured it out.
The guy that usually checks up on my guitar moved across the country so I have to start learning things on my own.
Assuming you know how to check for proper intonation, just take the string retainer off and re-check your intonation. String retainers are only really necessary on Fender style headstocks IMO

If it does affect intonation, screw it it back in further to sharpen your notes or screw it back on looser than before to lower your notes.
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Quote by RR3tran
Assuming you know how to check for proper intonation, just take the string retainer off and re-check your intonation. String retainers are only really necessary on Fender style headstocks IMO

If it does affect intonation, screw it it back in further to sharpen your notes or screw it back on looser than before to lower your notes.

what if I removed the sting retainer entirely?
the guitar is intonated already. It's fine as far as notes go, it's just a little buzzy.
If it doesn't affect intonation and solves your buzz problem, I don't see why you should put it back on
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Maybe it's the truss rod?

How can I tell if it's that, and how can I fix it if it is?
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Too lazy to write.

thanks to jenny and setup thread.

I just checked using the fretting method mentioned above and my strings look okay.

I retuned and adjusted the bridge (took a bit) and tightened the string retainer a bit.
Everything seems to be a little better now.

EDIT: Also, thank you very much for all the help guys.
Last edited by zilant at Jan 24, 2012,