Bought a new guitar today, a black PRS SE 245. It sounds sweet. Changed out the pickups to emg 81/85. It is absolutly amazing sounding compared to my schecter Damien 6 but here is the question. It has a bit of fret buzz. Not bad but can a truss rod adjustment help with that? It really is not bad I guess I'm just being picky. But other than that I'm in love with it.

I am not the greatest guitarist, started playing about a year ago and late compared to most. I was 26 when I started. but I'll give this review thing a whirl. Had been playing around with different guitars at Guitar Center for about 3 months trying to figure out what I wanted to upgrade next to. Played this PRS and absolutly fell in love with it. It felt so comfortable with the 24.5 scale. Before the Pick-up swap the stock ones sounded great on cleans very bright cleans, The distortion was a Santana kind of sound. They body is flawless in the finish. I can not find an imperfection anywhere. The guitar has a great weight to it. with the mahogany body. The fret board on the model I got has the doves that look nice yet at the same time does not look like some weak guitar.
I wanted a different kind of sound, so after playing for about 2 hours I started to pull the strings and dig into her to replace the pick-ups. The pick-ups where a good weight alot of windings in it. the manufacture took the extra step to put shrink wrap on the soldered connection. the inside had a primer coat and the cut outs for the electronics was nice and clean. All wiring was color coded and was neatly placed and organized. You could tell this guitar was not just thrown together. It is a Korean made (world music Instruments)
Once I installed My Zack Wylde EMG 81/85 actives, Which was very very easy (no soldering, all quick connects) This guitar is yelling play the SH!t out of me. The guitar has amazing sustain for a middle class guitar The new sound is absolutely mind blowing. PRS should offer a model with actives in it. As time goes on I will add more about this but This guitar is more then worth what I paid for it. It retails at G.C for 650 I think, then I added the EMG kit 200 dollars. The only thing That I would suggest upgrading on it is the bridge. the PRS bridge has no intonation adjustment on this model. So far the intonation is perfect but I plan on swapping out for PRS's adjustable intonation bridge. I will update as more time passes playing it

Last edited by ussoldier1984 at Jan 26, 2012,
you will need to a post review, post pics, or provide a recording of it. or your thread will get deleted sooner or later. its not my rule, it in the rules posted on one of the top few threads (stickies). i would like to see it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'll take a pic of it now but the main reason for post was the question about the fret buzz. Like I said its very slight but still want to eliminate it.
Last edited by ussoldier1984 at Jan 24, 2012,
Make sure the neck is perfectly straight with a tiny bit of relief then raise the action 'till it goes away.
Quote by ussoldier1984
It has a bit of fret buzz. Not bad but can a truss rod adjustment help with that?

it depends on where the fret buzz is. The truss rod only really affects the neck up to the 10th fret or so, then the neck usually levels out flat by the 12th.

If its on the lower frets, then your truss rod may just be too tight. If its buzzing on all of the frets, then chances are you action is just a bit too low. If its buzzing at random places on the fingerboard, you have an uneven fret somewhere.

A quick way to measure the neck relief is:

. Fret the 16th fret on the 6th string with your thumb on your right hand.

. Then fret the 1st fret (6th string) with the index finger on your left hand.

. look at the gap between the 6th string and the 7th fret. The gap should be 0.5mm (about 20 thou). That is about half the thickness of a credit card.
If its less than that, or the 6th string is touching the fret, then your truss rod is too tight. Slacken it by 1/8th of a turn, leave it a few hours and check it again.
If its more than 0.5mm, then the truss rod could do with tightening. Tighten it in 1/8th turn increments.

But if your neck relief is good and it doesn't buzz on any particular fret, then you action may just be a bit too low. Some people can work with a very low action because they have a light touch. were heavier handed players may have to compromise their action a bit. So its worth considering if your technique is an issue.

Nice guitar btw

Quote by ussoldier1984
PRS should offer a model with actives in it.

The Torero.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 24, 2012,
We have the same guitar

Don't you have to install a battery for the active pups?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
We have the same guitar

that's what i was thinking too

the pots would need changing too

at least they did when i bought blackouts. the kit came with new pots, a battery clip and a new jack.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
it depends on where the fret buzz is. The truss rod only really affects the neck up to the 10th fret or so, then the neck usually levels out flat by the 12th.

If its on the lower frets, then your truss rod may just be too tight. If its buzzing on all of the frets, then chances are you action is just a bit too low. If its buzzing at random places on the fingerboard, you have an uneven fret somewhere.

A quick way to measure the neck relief is:

. Fret the 16th fret on the 6th string with your thumb on your right hand.

. Then fret the 1st fret (6th string) with the index finger on your left hand.

. look at the gap between the 6th string and the 7th fret. The gap should be 0.5mm (about 20 thou). That is about half the thickness of a credit card.
If its less than that, or the 6th string is touching the fret, then your truss rod is too tight. Slacken it by 1/8th of a turn, leave it a few hours and check it again.
If its more than 0.5mm, then the truss rod could do with tightening. Tighten it in 1/8th turn increments.

But if your neck relief is good and it doesn't buzz on any particular fret, then you action may just be a bit too low. Some people can work with a very low action because they have a light touch. were heavier handed players may have to compromise their action a bit. So its worth considering if your technique is an issue.

Nice guitar btw

The Torero.

It was the truss, adjustment fixed it right up and I was able to lower the action a bit took it to a PRS shop and they didn't even charge me. also checked the intonation it was dead on. You were right about your post... dead on.
Quote by JKHC
We have the same guitar

Yes it needs a 9 volt battery. The Zack Wylde kit came with everything from jack to pots and wires battery hook up and a cozy foam pad to protect the battery. it was a really easy to swap out.
OK New update The PRS SE 245 turned out to be a piece of crap. Low e and a kept losing tune the guitar is being sent back to PRS. I decided to go with the guitar I have been wanting for months the Schecter C-1 Custom. and am much happier with it. It was more expensive but I should of gone with it in the first place.
Sounds like you didn't string it properly to be honest

you could wrap strings around fence posts and they wouldn't lose tune, unless the tuners themselves had inadequate tension i can't see how it would be the guitars fault.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
^^^ that. Or you got a lemon tuner?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Looks amazing dude Happy New Guitar Day. In my mind that is what Nick Catanese's PRS signature should look like.

Regarding your Truss Rod adjustment question i think the comments above have nailed the answer.
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
No it wasn't the strings wrapped incorrectly. Guitar center checked it out twice and verified that its buggy. It is being shipped back to PRS. Even the PRS rep for the local area was baffled by the issue.
So here is the new beauty that I originally wanted to get and what I have been looking at for months originally. Schecter C-1 Custom