I traded my Epi lp standard for a Hamer xt Korina explorer, I regret it fully, as the lp had way better pickups imo (tonezone/ airnorton) and was far more comfortable to play body wise.
So now I'm offered this in trade:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Out-of-Production/Les-Paul-Nightfall.aspx

How does it stack up to the standard? Is the FR special going to be a hassle?
Thanks in advance!

I know the pups need swapping. Prolly do a steves special/ air norton, new pots, etc.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 24, 2012,
Well compared to the Epi Standard this has a maple neck and a flat top. These, along with the Floyd, are going to make the guitar sound brighter; like an SG with a touch more treble. The EMG pickups in this are nothing to be excited about. They're passive (something EMG has never been great at) and even among EMG's many bad passive pickups, the HZ4s are regarded as the worst.
The Floyd Special should not be a problem, at leats no more of a problem than any other Floyd is. The FR Special is counted as an official (i.e. not licensed) Floyd. The saddles and block are cheaper, softer metal (zinc, last time I checked) and the block is also smaller than usual, but the most important part, the base plate, is steel. It's not going to have the suual tuning stability problems that so many other cheap Floyds have, if that is your concern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHy4vw9qBW4#t=1m11s
Andertons test out some cheap guiatrs with Floyds, the first being another Epi LP with a Floyd Special. Notice how much abuse it gets and how it's the only guitar they test that absolutely does not go out of tune even remotely.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Good to know. My old lp standard was pretty bright as it was (compared to my assortment if ibbys), but I loved the tone. Really warm buttery leads from air norton.
I think trade value wise I lose again, but I'm going to give it a play.

Cant even find out what the hamer originally sold for. I see one for €700+ in france...
Either way, don't care. I cant get comfortable playing on a tom and the body doesnt help.
Thanks fibbles.

*ninja edited op.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 24, 2012,
I'm personally not a fan of any Epiphone that's not a Custom. So unless you have your eyes on a custom or another LP Standard, i wouldn't bother with Epiphone. I think buying new pickups right out of the gate is a waste of money. Its a lot more cost-effective to have a guitar with decent pickups right out of the box.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Prophecy-Les-Paul-Custom-Plus-GX.aspx

Apparently the prophecy guitars now come in new finishes. Pretty cool. But it really sucks how the original Prophecy series has been discontinued. I've played mine almost to destruction. I love that thing.

They're by far the best guitars i've ever played for £500 imho.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm personally not a fan of any Epiphone that's not a Custom.
Why? The Epi Customs are spec-wise the exact same as the Standards, the only difference is the finish and the ''gold'' hardware.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yea but I'm broke ATM and looking to rid myself of the hamer.
No way I'm getting enough $$ out of it for anything decent.
Its listed at 400$ trade value but will sell 300$ cash.

Best guitar I own had shit pups stock too.
Quote by MrFlibble
Why? The Epi Customs are spec-wise the exact same as the Standards, the only difference is the finish and the ''gold'' hardware.

I don't like standards that much. Preference.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The customs don't have a maple cap like The standards unless it's a custom pluss or something and the maple cap also makes it brighter
I haven't played one but epiphone has another les Paul with a Floyd and coil tapping too and they made they the neck smooth not gloosy snice thats faster and some people do that anyway. Oh well it's called a les Paul pro fx
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Anybody actually played one of these? They look kinda cheap and wanted a first hand impression.

I've seen one in person but the pickups scared me away from it.

But it does look like a toy.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 24, 2012,