Ok so I'm in a band that is just starting out...what do we need for a performance? I'm talking like mics and such...or do a lot of places have PA stuff? I have no clue at all besides the obvious guitar cables outlets amps...please help.

Thanks

JR
Sorry for what is about to sound really obnoxious, but is the truth.

An audience.

Things like PA's and mics are really details that can easily be rented until it makes sense to spend the money to purchase it. The rental guys generally know what to give you for where you are playing.

Generally purchasing PAs and such usually occurs after you play a few shows in a bunch of different venues and figure out exactly what you need or don't need. I could give you a shopping list, but I have no idea even how many people you will have on stage, let alone venue size, types of rooms, etc. Quite often your only requirement for a PA will be for rehearsals and private shows/parties. Most clubs and venues have some kind of house system to use. In the case of a "showcase" format or a festival, a PA system generally is provided.
Last edited by Quintex at Jan 24, 2012,
Depends where youre playing and who youre playing with. If youre just starting out then chances are youll be a support act in which case you will probably be using the headliners stuff.

The best thing is to get in touch with the venue and the other band(s) youre playing with on that night and confirm exactly what they are bringing. Dont assume a particular piece of equipment will be there or it could end in disaster.

Generally as a support act you would supply your own instruments and effects pedals. Backline will be provided by venue/headline act. Drummers generally can use the headliners kit but usually use their own symbals. Singers often like to use their own mics too.
What sort of band are you? This will affect both the above answers.

Quintex says that "there's no point to own a PA until it makes sense". This is correct for an originals band. However if you own a PA in a covers band, you're generally entitled to double pay (usually an extra $100) out of the total pay.

Livenjoke makes a point that the backline is "generally supplied". It varies from gig to gig, I wouldn't show up just assuming that somebody has set up for me.

So what do you need?

- A band
- Enough songs to gig (45min - 1hr for original, 3-4 hours for cover)
- Transport
- A place to play
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I am in the process of developing a cover band and an originals band we have transport and instruments..and getting a gig wont be too much of an issue...its PA stuff like mics and such that I am worried about..
Quote by jrenkert
I am in the process of developing a cover band and an originals band we have transport and instruments..and getting a gig wont be too much of an issue...its PA stuff like mics and such that I am worried about..

Then I suggest you ask the venues you're planning to play at if they have them. I've not been to a gig where there's not been some form of PA.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by jrenkert

Do you practice with a PA? Can you hear the vocals?
Soundcloud
Nope not a damn word..That sounds like an issue but I'm not worried about it...we kinda practice the singing and general performance separately for that reason. I mean I wish we could, we just don't have access.
What we do for backup vocals we just plugged in a mic to my bassist's amp (it has two inputs)...it works...
^^^That's a good start. You don't want to be in a position where a vocalist hears their voice for the first time on stage. That's the same as using your electric guitar without an amp at practice.
Soundcloud
^ thats a good analogy...so a bass amp can handle a mic? I didn't know that...
Can't speak for other countries, but if the situation is like it is in the UK you'd just be playing pub gigs when you first start out. For that, you would definitely need your own PA system (including mics) as very few pubs would provide any equipment.

It's only once you graduate to playing larger venues that you can expect any equipment to be provided.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
There's a few issues here. the arrangements in Australia, UK and the States are all different and are even different between venues. It is no use ringing up the day before either as you won't have time to do anything about it.

there's three levels of what constitutes a gig. You could just do a couple of songs at a talent show/battle of the bands or at an open mic event, PA of sorts will be provided though find out what it is,. The next level is support band where you will have to work with the main band, usually you use their PA but the rest is negotiable. If you want to play gigs on your own then start thinking about your own PA, or hire, or limiting yourself to venues with their own PA.

If you want to read more about what is involved in PA and sort out your vocals at rehearsal look in the columns at the top of the page. Start here? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_guide_to_pa_part_one_-_a_first_pa.html
You can plug your amps into a PA system right?
Quote by its_alive
It's just like breaking up with a girl.
Explain that you'd really love to help take care of the baby, but you have to move to South Africa.
Quote by Legend Jedicsc
You can plug your amps into a PA system right?

You'd still need the PA system to plug them into.... and as has already been said, most small venues that a new band would be playing won't provide a PA system.

They'll need both amps AND a PA.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Can't speak for other countries, but if the situation is like it is in the UK you'd just be playing pub gigs when you first start out. For that, you would definitely need your own PA system (including mics) as very few pubs would provide any equipment.

It's only once you graduate to playing larger venues that you can expect any equipment to be provided.

I've only ever played in the UK and every pub I've played has had a PA, then again I've only played "music" pubs.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
I've only ever played in the UK and every pub I've played has had a PA, then again I've only played "music" pubs.

Guess it depends where in the UK you are then - I notice on your profile you're in London. That's a VERY different place to where I am - here in Wiltshire even the music pubs expect you to have your own kit, it's only when you move up to playing the larger club sized venues you'd get a PA provided. The same goes for Cumbria where I'm originally from.

You can't really compare rural counties like I've experienced to London for this sort of thing though, so I guess it probably comes down to where in his country TS is as well as which country he's in.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud