so Pit, tell me, do you think are immune system is becoming weaker and weaker due to the comfort of are lives and the use of medication?

like if these illnesses that seem to appear where just waiting their all this time, its just us that got weak enough to let them in are bodies?

Or has TS obviously not wiki'd it?
Since we're living longer now than we did 100 years ago, I'd say having medications is better.

Oh and inb4 comment about 'are'.
West Ham United
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
so Pit, tell me, do you think are immune system is becoming weaker and weaker due to the comfort of are lives and the use of medication?

I'm more concerned about are basic language skills.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Wat is a medical.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by King Donkey
Since we're living longer now than we did 100 years ago, I'd say having medications is better.

Oh and inb4 comment about 'are'.

hmm yea but wouldn't the use of medicine from generation to generation slowly lead are immune system to believe it is no longer needed?
Yes, they do become weaker as we live in cleaner environments, meaning less bacteria, leading to less anti-cells being created.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
hmm yea but wouldn't the use of medicine from generation to generation slowly lead are immune system to believe it is no longer needed?

You used to be lucky to live past fifty when your bodies immune system was the only factor in fighting illness. Since medicine lets you live to around eighty on average I'm happier with that.
West Ham United
Quote by Muffinz
Yes, they do become weaker as we live in cleaner environments, meaning less bacteria, leading to less anti-cells being created.

so in a post-apocalypse futur, any virus that would spread would kill off humans before killing off animals?
Quote by King Donkey
You used to be lucky to live past fifty when your bodies immune system was the only factor in fighting illness. Since medicine lets you live to around eighty on average I'm happier with that.

yea, but if we take away are medicine, we would probably live longer then before medicine...but then again are diet has also evolved ( for better and worse)
but if exposed to the same conditions man knew before the invention of medicines, he would probably die at a younger age then before? right?
It's been shown that those weird mothers who do nothing but stay at home, watch Holby City then clean the underside of the doorknobs all day have children who are more susceptible to general deathery after touching an unwashed mango at the supermarket. Good job I have a lazy mother who passes out at 1pm every day!

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
yea, but if we take away are medicine, we would probably live longer then before medicine...but then again are diet has also evolved ( for better and worse)
but if exposed to the same conditions man knew before the invention of medicines, he would probably die at a younger age then before? right?

Yeah if we come down with a particularly bad illness then we'd be screwed. But you also have to consider our hygiene and nutrition these days.
West Ham United
I don't really understand what people mean when they say "clean environments". Not much has changed about the world since life on Earth began except that bacteria and viruses have grown stronger and evolved. Unless you live in a sterile clean room, you're exposed to plenty of germs. You have them living in your mouth as we speak. Even if your house is super clean, once you go outside you're still exposed to all kinds of microbes. If your immune system becomes infiltrated with a specific bacteria, it was susceptible to it in the first place. People suffered from syphilis before and they suffer from it now. Only difference now is that we have a substantially reduced mortality rate because of...say it with me...MEDICINE.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by King Donkey
Yeah if we come down with a particularly bad illness then we'd be screwed. But you also have to consider our hygiene and nutrition these days.

yea, a too long exposure to a stupidly clean hygiene only makes you weaker, and are nutrition really has its ups and downs
Quote by Firenze
I don't really understand what people mean when they say "clean environments". Not much has changed about the world since life on Earth began except that bacteria and viruses have grown stronger and evolved. Unless you live in a sterile clean room, you're exposed to plenty of germs. You have them living in your mouth as we speak. Even if your house is super clean, once you go outside you're still exposed to all kinds of microbes. If your immune system becomes infiltrated with a specific bacteria, it was susceptible to it in the first place. People suffered from syphilis before and they suffer from it now. Only difference now is that we have a substantially reduced mortality rate because of...say it with me...MEDICINE.

yea but understand that the bacteria itself didn't need to evolve that much, seeing as the human immune system is weaker..otherwise how do you explain animals not catching the bacteria that is around them?
We may be in a cleaner environment, but certainly not sterile.

Focussing on bacterial infection, as viral is a bit different, issues arise when populations of bacteria reach a certain threshold and essentially 'activate' through quorum sensing. Now, the aim of bacteria is to breed, and I guarantee we all have some of the most dangerous bacteria in our own bodies. The population just hasn't reached that threshold.

Or has it?

All of us probably have had some form of botulism, E coli poisoning, or clostridium dificile poisoning, for example, without realising it. As I said, the aim of bacteria is to breed. As we are covered in the stuff, a species has to gain a local foothold- this means killing off other local bacteria. And that's often done by releasing toxins. As this is an energetic process for bacteria, they'll wait till their numbers are up, then go kill stuff. You don't need a lot of toxins to kill other bacteria, so that threshold is much lower than that that will cause us to get a tummy upset. However, the signals released are the same, regardless of threshold, and our immune system will respond. Your immune system is constantly upgrading itself, and that's nothing to do with medicine. This happens every day.

As I said, clean does not mean sterile.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Focussing on bacterial infection, as viral is a bit different, issues arise when populations of bacteria reach a certain threshold and essentially 'activate' through quorum sensing. Now, the aim of bacteria is to breed, and I guarantee we all have some of the most dangerous bacteria in our own bodies. The population just hasn't reached that threshold.

Or has it?

All of us probably have had some form of botulism, E coli poisoning, or clostridium dificile poisoning, for example, without realising it. As I said, the aim of bacteria is to breed. As we are covered in the stuff, a species has to gain a local foothold- this means killing off other local bacteria. And that's often done by releasing toxins. As this is an energetic process for bacteria, they'll wait till their numbers are up, then go kill stuff. You don't need a lot of toxins to kill other bacteria, so that threshold is much lower than that that will cause us to get a tummy upset. However, the signals released are the same, regardless of threshold, and our immune system will respond. Your immune system is constantly upgrading itself, and that's nothing to do with medicine. This happens every day.

thanks
It's not really due to the immune system. If anything, it's probably slightly better due to better food and more awareness etc.

However, due to medicine, it's diseases that mutate and become say resistant to treatment.
Or even in some cases, non pathogenic diseases are more dangerous/more frequent due to advances in technology/lifestyle.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Or has it?

All I would add to this is that our hygiene has greatly increased in the last 100 years. It's impossible to reach a sterile environment in the real world due to the near-infinite number of variables that are outside of human control. Further, environmental sterility would only damage us, as our immune systems became, for want of a better word, inactive.

Other than that, what Deliriumbassist pretty much answers the question, imo.
The future:

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
so are immune system is weaker then that of animals?
and would a lack of hygiene effect us more now then it would of many years back before medication was available?
Animals get sick, just with different mutations of a pathogen. There are very few diseases shared between species.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck.

Learn English from the English, not the Americans.

It's 'our,' not 'are.'

Fu
ck.

Yeah. Americans totally use ''are'' instead of ''our''.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck.

Learn English from the English, not the Americans.

It's 'our,' not 'are.'

Fu
ck.

actually I'm english, just grew up in france...
here in school they teach you american ( they call it english)

fuuu- looks like it finally had an effect on me...

damn
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
actually I'm english, just grew up in france...
here in school they teach you american ( they call it english)

fuuu- looks like it finally had an effect on me...

damn

Wh- What?

How?
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

Yeah. Americans totally use ''are'' instead of ''our''.

Well they don't, but when they say 'our' they pronounce it 'are.' I've seen heaps of redneck ****s write 'our' as 'are' because of the way they pronounce it.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Wh- What?

How?

Well they don't, but when they say 'our' they pronounce it 'are.' I've seen heaps of redneck ****s write 'our' as 'are' because of the way they pronounce it.

Regional accents differ.

I lived in Manchester for 7 years and they pronounce it as ''aaaahr''.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Regional accents differ.

Ahhh Tahyuh-ronnne

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
No, our immune system is not getting weaker.

/thread
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Regional accents differ.

Yeah, but Mancunians aren't real people.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
The future:

(Invalid img)

Mass Effect five.

Anyway, given millennia of time for natural selection to immunize humanity to smallpox, strep throat and the like still left them killing people as recently as the 20th century, I'm going to go ahead and say that we're probably not getting weaker, and even if we are, I'd rather have medical technology that can be specifically engineered to stop something.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Quote by metacarpi
Yeah, but Mancunians aren't real people.

They tragically are very real. I come from nearish Manchester and every prick in my town thinks he's hard as nails because of it. Fortunately, I've escaped to South Yorkshire now and will very probably be staying here for a good while. Also, eating dirt is what made me the maelstrom of immunity power I am today.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Ed Hunter
They tragically are very real. I come from nearish Manchester and every prick in my town thinks he's hard as nails because of it. Fortunately, I've escaped to South Yorkshire now and will very probably be staying here for a good while. Also, eating dirt is what made me the maelstrom of immunity power I am today.

They exist, they're just not what can be classified as human, and hence can be disregarded.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
They exist, they're just not what can be classified as human, and hence can be disregarded.

Homo Mancuniensis I believe the correct term that I've just made up is.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Ed Hunter
Homo Mancuniensis I believe the correct term that I've just made up is.

Quote by GLP_Arclite