Hi,

I need to buy a new guitar in about 2 months time. I used to have an Ibanez GRG170dx, so please suggest something in its lines. My budget is about $250-300. I mainly play Rock/Metal and occasionally Blues.

Also, please try not to suggest guitars with Floyd-Rose tremolos, 'cause I change tunings frequently from standard to dropped-D, so will prove to be a major pain in the ass for me.

I have no idea about the difference between Jumbo and medium frets.

P.S. I live in India, so availability might be an issue.
I have Epiphone's Custom SG Prophecy, and I love it.
I play mostly Metal, it works really well for that.
I'm not sure about shipping fees but off the rack it was in your price range.
Hope that helps.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
when I die of a brain aneurysm I want it on record that its the film threads fault

Quote by GuitarGod_92
Movies are all bad every last one of them

Quote by yope
Fungus has a right to exist. It's a valid life form.
Quote by desmond27
How good is it clean? For blues and stuff. And tone?

It sounds really good clean.
It has a nice volume when it's unplugged as well.
Good for a steely kind of sound.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
when I die of a brain aneurysm I want it on record that its the film threads fault

Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by yope
If I were you, I would go to a music store and play guitars in your price range so you can get a feel for what you want. We can tell you all day what guitars we think are good. But each guitar feels different to everyone. So simply because we like it, doesn't mean you will. Just saying. But, if you want brands, Jackson, ESP LTD, Schecter is really good, as stated above Epiphone, Agile, Ibanez obviously. But yeah, tons of guitars out there in your range. Good luck my man. Or woman.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
I really think that for the money epiphones are of great value. You could also get a Jackson for the money
I have never used a guitar with jumbo frets before, so have no idea whether ESP will be good for me. My earlier Ibanez had an HSH config and I would like to retain that.

@smithmetal, I am a guy.

@Lptubeking, here all Jacksons I've seen are pretty out of reach.

@ron666, Fender Strat at this budget?

Please note I mostly play metal...Lamb Of God, Metallica, etc. Since, no good shops in my area, I gotta travel a bit, so need to make up a list of what to look out for when I eventually go.
Quote by desmond27
I have never used a guitar with jumbo frets before, so have no idea whether ESP will be good for me. My earlier Ibanez had an HSH config and I would like to retain that.

@smithmetal, I am a guy.

@Lptubeking, here all Jacksons I've seen are pretty out of reach.

@ron666, Fender Strat at this budget?

Please note I mostly play metal...Lamb Of God, Metallica, etc. Since, no good shops in my area, I gotta travel a bit, so need to make up a list of what to look out for when I eventually go.

Dillons are also really high quality
The build is similar to a classic SG
Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by yope
Quote by desmond27
Fender Strat at this budget?

Please note I mostly play metal...Lamb Of God, Metallica, etc.

A squire probably. It's the super low end fender. And Yngwie played on a strat. As for HSH config, you're only gonna find that in an ibanez or epi nighthawk I'm guessing at that price range. I would honestly look at epiphone as they are great guitars in that range.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by smithmetal
If I were you, I would go to a music store and play guitars in your price range so you can get a feel for what you want. We can tell you all day what guitars we think are good. But each guitar feels different to everyone. So simply because we like it, doesn't mean you will. Just saying. But, if you want brands, Jackson, ESP LTD, Schecter is really good, as stated above Epiphone, Agile, Ibanez obviously. But yeah, tons of guitars out there in your range. Good luck my man. Or woman.

x2
Yeah, my first guitar was an Epiphone SG. It was great for the price. No regrets.
Quote by Kuli24
Yeah, my first guitar was an Epiphone SG. It was great for the price. No regrets.

Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by yope
The Epiphone nighthawk doesn't seem to be available over here. Take a look at this site:

www.furtadosonline.com.

It would be better if you limit your suggestions to what is available here. Because, this is pretty much what will be available over here.
im guessing your $ is american. so with that being said, try some ibanez artcore guitars.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I quoted in $ 'cause this is an international forum and $ is easier to digest here without getting dirty over conversion issues. My currency of preferance is Rupees.

Yup, that is in american dollars.
Gear : ESP LTD-M-50, Roland Micro Cube.
My Blog :
Rupees? WTF?!?!

Enough of that Try some used guitars, Schecter guitars can be found for a steal sometimes, I was able to find a Schecter w/ active EMGs (85/81) and an Original Floyd Rose for $400, normal price: $900 (set neck to boot). You can find great bargains shopping used. Good thing you won't be taking that Schecter from me. I played it, I didn't need to adjust to the neck, it felt the same as my old guitar... It is MINE as soon as i get the $$$ (sucks having to save up ur $$$ in the middle of the school year though )
i don't know your market, exchange rates (ATM), etc. what brands can you find in local stores? i ask that because there are three small shops around here than only carry one or two brands because that is all they can keep up with.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by N1K156
Rupees? WTF?!?!

Rupees actually exist as a form of currency in the world, not just a currency in Zelda games.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Ok, check this site, this should sum up what is available over here.

http://www.furtadosonline.com

They mainly have ESPs and Ibanezes. I am not sure if I want a jumbo fret guitar, so not sure about ESPs. Also, I do not prefer Floyd Rose tremolo since I tune from dropped D to standard and vice versa pretty frequently.
My Blog :
I'm not sure they are avaible in India but Kramer guitar's could do the job very well.
Kramer happens to be available, but all either above budget or below budget.

What do you guys think about Ibanez GRG170DX (My earlier guitar)?
My Blog :
Quote by ThrashUnleashed
I have Epiphone's Custom SG Prophecy, and I love it

That's way out of his price range.

I'd suggest you go used, TS. But i doubt the used guitar market in India is going to have something you would want tbh. Another major problem you pointed out is the cost of shipping.

You might want to go for something like an Ibanez RGA32. But even then, that is stretching your budget as that doesn't include shipping costs. The only thing you can really do to buy anything worth getting is to save more.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 13, 2012,
are there any guitar manufacturers that make guitars in India that would sell to the private market as opposed to the commercial market? something factory direct, because i have seen made in India on some guitar's there has to be somebody, but then i don't know the budget they are trying to make cheaper models than you are looking for.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Dude, jumbo frets are comfortable as hell to play on, and I'm pretty sure all LTD's and ESP's have them.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
are there any guitar manufacturers that make guitars in India that would sell to the private market as opposed to the commercial market? something factory direct, because i have seen made in India on some guitar's there has to be somebody, but then i don't know the budget they are trying to make cheaper models than you are looking for.

They are shitty, trust me
My Blog :
Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Dude, jumbo frets are comfortable as hell to play on, and I'm pretty sure all LTD's and ESP's have them.

I'll have to try 'em first. I cannot say 'cause never tried them.
My Blog :
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's way out of his price range.

I'd suggest you go used, TS. But i doubt the used guitar market in India is going to have something you would want tbh. Another major problem you pointed out is the cost of shipping.

You might want to go for something like an Ibanez RGA32. But even then, that is stretching your budget as that doesn't include shipping costs. The only thing you can really do to buy anything worth getting is to save more.

I'll have to wait one more month. Will have enough by next month's salary.
My Blog :
Hey guys,

I settled with a ESP LTD-M50. Comments please.....
My Blog :
Guys, I need your comments about the ESP LTD M-50 and how does it compare to the Ibanez GRG170DX in terms of sound.

I sacrificed two extra frets and the single-coil mid pickup. Also, I noticed later that the tremolo does not go backwards, it only bends forwards. I am not very good with tremolos, but if I do need to learn, will this be a hindrance?
My Blog :
Wait, so you have bought the M-50 already?

Dont. Save up more. Your Ibby is a good guitar for your range, you wont improve that much.

Read through this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1555137

Now go on Thomann, and buy from there. Me and the other guy have established that the Indian guitar market is balls.

Save for a nicer Ibanez, like an RG321 if you hate Edge tremolos.

Work out what you really want, and then get it from there.
Yes I have it already. I had a higher budget, but all guitars I found had Floyd Rose tremolo's (Or equivalent). As I have mentioned, I need to change tunings frequently, so this one fitted my budget well. I had a max budget of around $300.
My Blog :
Thomann.de is really cheap.

I think I will hang on to this one for a while then sell it off for a better one when I save up enough.
My Blog :