Page 1 of 2
In December of 2011, just weeks before the takedown, Digital Music News reported on something new that the creators of #Megaupload were about to unroll. Something that would rock the music industry to its core. (http://*******/A7wUZ) I present to you... MegaBox. MegaBox was going to be an alternative music store that was entirely cloud-based and offered artists a better money-making opportunity than they would get with any record label.

"UMG knows that we are going to compete with them via our own music venture called Megabox.com, a site that will soon allow artists to sell their creations directly to consumers while allowing artists to keep 90 percent of earnings," MegaUpload founder Kim 'Dotcom' Schmitz told Torrentfreak.

Not only did they plan on allowing artists to keep 90% of their earnings on songs that they sold, they wanted to pay them for songs they let users download for free.

"We have a solution called the Megakey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free," Dotcom outlined. "Yes that's right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works."

Don't know why the link got censored, it's goo.gl

https://plus.google.com/u/0/111314089359991626869/posts/HQJxDRiwAWq

Do what you do best, pit. Discuss.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
Bandcamp offers the same sort of thing. If that gets taken down, heads will roll.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
Bandcamp offers the same sort of thing. If that gets taken down, heads will roll.

Never heard of it, how does it work?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

So it was to offer money to artists, but not to the industry?

That makes sense. The industry has never supported the artist, anyway.
Matthias Niess - Yeah.. I don't think so. Kim Schmitz is a known fraudster (check wikipedia).

^^
Quote by Cianyx
^^

Kim dotcom's decades-old legal issues have nothing to do with the legitimacy of this venture.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

I ****ing hate the RIAA. With the passion of a million ****ing stars. I hope, for the sake of music, this Megabox thing gets started and more people move to it.
Quote by fearofthemark
Kim dotcom's decades-old legal issues have nothing to do with the legitimacy of this venture.

Pardon?
Quote by fearofthemark

And you know this is legit how?
Quote by Shabalaba
And you know this is legit how?

Theres no evidence that it's a fraud, so I have no reason to believe that it is.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by entity0009

Yeah but you don't get money from free downloads. That's what I think is incredible about this service, could possibly be the end of the alleged "piracy problem". People get music for free, artists still get paid.
If this is true, what is keeping other companies from doing the same?
Nevertheless it makes you think.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Normally I'd give the benefit of the doubt automatically, but given paying artists for free downloads doesn't seem very sustainable, and the man making the claim has a history of legal issues, I'd like to hear more information on how exactly this whole idea of it would work before I give an opinion either way.

The "letting artists keep 90%" thing I get, but paying for free downloads just doesn't work economically as far as I can work it, and when someone who's been charged with embezzlement with the past tells me something that I can't see working does work, I'm skeptical.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by necrosis1193
Normally I'd give the benefit of the doubt automatically, but given paying artists for free downloads doesn't seem very sustainable, and the man making the claim has a history of legal issues, I'd like to hear more information on how exactly this whole idea of it would work. The "letting artists keep 90%" thing I get, but paying for free downloads just doesn't work economically as far as I can work it.

It works because megaupload would get money from ad revenue due to exposure. They wouldn't pay much, maybe 30 dollars for 10,000 downloads or something similar, but it's the same model they used for megavideo/megaupload, where uploaders get cash for free downloads.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

How exactly would he pay the artists for free downloads? It doesn't make sense.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by necrosis1193
Normally I'd give the benefit of the doubt automatically, but given paying artists for free downloads doesn't seem very sustainable, and the man making the claim has a history of legal issues, I'd like to hear more information on how exactly this whole idea of it would work before I give an opinion either way.

The "letting artists keep 90%" thing I get, but paying for free downloads just doesn't work economically as far as I can work it, and when someone who's been charged with embezzlement with the past tells me something that I can't see working does work, I'm skeptical.

tiny ads can generate income.
Quote by son_of_bodom

Megaupload already did this for years. When you downloaded something from their website or streamed a megavideo, the uploader gets a tiny amount of money, a small portion of the ad revenue. If your files get TONS of downloads, you can make money.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
It works because megaupload would get money from ad revenue due to exposure. They wouldn't pay much, maybe 30 dollars for 10,000 downloads or something similar, but it's the same model they used for megavideo/megaupload, where uploaders get cash for free downloads.

Hmm...what the hell, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to an extent with this, because you can make a decent argument for this being the reason, and ad-based revenue seems to work for Google. That said though, there are still some holes, so while I'm leaning one way, I'm not convinced for or against either direction yet. Looking forward to further developments on all this.

Quote by beyondthegrave
tiny ads can generate income.

Exactly.
It's speculated that if major movie companies were to release their films for free streaming online like Megavideo, with the ads on the side and such, they'd make millions more than the amount of money they are wasting to try and implement bills and stop internet piracy. Those ads exist for a reason. You think they think that any of us are going to honestly buy iPads from sketchy sites that say we're the 3287485th visitor? Do you think they think that any of us will join their shitty party poker sites, especially after seeing those annoying shit eating grins in the adverts every single time we try to watch a video? Obviously not. It's an incredibly easy way to make money.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Exactly.
It's speculated that if major movie companies were to release their films for free streaming online like Megavideo, with the ads on the side and such, they'd make millions more than the amount of money they are wasting to try and implement bills and stop internet piracy. Those ads exist for a reason. You think they think that any of us are going to honestly buy iPads from sketchy sites that say we're the 3287485 visitor? Do you think they think that any of us will join their shitty party poker sites, especially after seeing those annoying shit eating grins in the adverts every single time we try to watch a video? Obviously not. It's an incredibly easy way to make money.

Hey, it has to work sometimes - it's not like the companies are filled with morons and people who've never touched a computer, they have to know that most people pass them up. But they wouldn't still do them after years if there's no return, paying for something that gets you nothing is pointless.

Quote by necrosis1193
Hey, it has to work sometimes - it's not like the companies are filled with morons and people who've never touched a computer, they have to know that most people pass them up. But they wouldn't still do them after years if there's no return, paying for something that gets you nothing is pointless.

So the artist profits from megaupload, who profit from shitty advertisements, who profit from stupid people believing them.

We make money off of stupid people

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
So the artist profits from megaupload, who profit from shitty advertisements, who profit from stupid people believing them.

We make money off of stupid people

Switch the specific entities to something open-ended, and that's economics 101.

More importantly, Shauna Myers is a total dog. How have you bastards not noticed this yet?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by son_of_bodom

Uhh, ever heard of this thing called advertisement?
It's not exactly a new concept........

Companies pay very good money for advertisement space. Especially on a website with a huge amount of hits per day, just look at YouTube and Facebook. Even major banks are getting in on the act.
Last edited by brownshirt1 at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by brownshirt1
Uhh, ever heard of this thing called advertisement?
It's not exactly a new concept........

Companies pay very good money for advertisement space. Especially on a website with a huge amount of hits per day, just look at YouTube and Facebook. Even major banks are getting in on the act.

Ok, I get it, Dickwad

Quote by darkstar2466

umm I wonder if the shutdown of megaupload has anything to do with the fact that it promoted illegal redistribution of music, movies etc...
Quote by Tangerineseeker
umm I wonder if the shutdown of megaupload has anything to do with the fact that it promoted illegal redistribution of music, movies etc...

If it was that they would have shut down Mediafire, Rapidshare, Fileserve, Filestube, SourceForge, The Pirate Bay, Kickass Torrents, BTJunkie, Extratorrent and the like.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Tangerineseeker

From a legal standpoint, megaupload didn't "promote" illegal distribution of anything. That isn't the websites intended purpose. Did megaupload facilitate such things, is a different matter though...

Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by moscaespañol
If it was that they would have shut down Mediafire, Rapidshare, Fileserve, Filestube, SourceForge, The Pirate Bay, Kickass Torrents, BTJunkie, Extratorrent and the like.

Right, I did forget about all those other sites, but I don't think they offered money to people who shared files? Although it was free there were also premium accounts that many people used and I don't think that those other sites have that as well. I might be wrong..

Quote by son_of_bodom
From a legal standpoint, megaupload didn't "promote" illegal distribution of anything. That isn't the websites intended purpose. Did megaupload facilitate such things, is a different matter though...

Yeah well maybe promote wasn't the right word choice. But a site that offers money for uploading files and gives out payments per download for that file seems to clearly encourage illegal file sharing no?
fuck da police
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
A tonne of websites have already saved them the effort.

This is outdated too, FileServe doesn't allow file-sharing now.

I don't buy this MU thing though.

wow. That's pretty shitty man.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by IronMaiden76
fuck da police

Dis.

Quote by darkstar2466

So it's somewhat an advanced model of the youtube partnership, just without all the copyright hassle and the small print. Makes sense really.
That sucks because I used to download a lot of underground black metal. The kind you cant really find anywhere else
Page 1 of 2