Ok...what Scales Do I Need To Know As A Guitarist? I Know There Are Major And Minor Scales All In Different Keys Al Over The Fretboard,,,,which Ones Should I Try To Get To Know By Heart....also What Is The Diff Between A Mode And A Scale? What Does Eolian,aolian, E Dorian And So On Mean? Please Tru To Guide Me Through This Like You Were Talking To An Idoit Which I Am...real Answers Please! Thanks Guys
First, read this
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
do you know what a key is?

figure those out.

there are no scales. they're implied in the harmony and should be treated as irrelevant - they'll only hurt you in the end. also, don't learn shapes, they're bad for you. learn the notes of the fretboard as well as interval relationships.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
do you know what a key is?

figure those out.

there are no scales. they're implied in the harmony and should be treated as irrelevant - they'll only hurt you in the end. also, don't learn shapes, they're bad for you. learn the notes of the fretboard as well as interval relationships.

They're a really hard habit to break away from as well...

Just did a quick google and thoroughly reading and understanding this article is probably the best thing to do.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by llBlackenedll
First, read this

AHHhhhhh **** Another ASSholE WoRrring AboUT GrAmmAr RaThER ThEn AnSwerIng A qUESTion...whaT a WASTE of Your time..why BotheR???i BeT YoU DiD ReaLLY weLL iN sChOol bUt nOt So Much wIth The ladiEs :/ DoNt Be SuCH A MaD IndivIdUAL JuSt BecAUsE YouR a KnOw It All, PomPouS ******. does ****** have 2 g;s or One?
1) The Chromatic Scale

2) The Major Scale (After some tought i consider it bs advice when people say learn no scales to a beginner, since everything on western music builds on the friggin major scale.

So go ahead and learn the major scale on all 12 keys. (**** microtones)

But as the smart guys above said, learn intervals, learn scale degrees, learn notes, and imo it is worth to get to the point where you can name any scale degree cold within a second.

And it is now when the **** scales bit comes into play, since now you can relate everything to the major scale, think in intervals, hopefully think in notes and not rely on pregiven formulas. (im working on it too)
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 24, 2012,
pfffftccchhhh...

moved to MT
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Slashiepie

2) The Major Scale (After some tought i consider it bs advice when people say learn no scales to a beginner, since everything on western music builds on the friggin major scale.

So go ahead and learn the major scale on all 12 keys.

or you can just learn the 12 major keys

ts is banned though so it's moot, it's a shame, he was definitely the next picasso but with guitar scales
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
:P wth was he trying to cause a mode war and thus got hs bawls smashed with the mighty banhhammer ?
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Slashiepie
:P wth was he trying to cause a mode war and thus got hs bawls smashed with the mighty banhhammer ?

No I think he did because the one guy above tried to help him with his capitalizing habit, and he toke it offensive and insulted the guy
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Xter
No I think he did because the one guy above tried to help him with his capitalizing habit, and he toke it offensive and insulted the guy

Actually, he started a thread in the Metal section like an hour ago, in which he bashed everyone who supported bands. Obvious ragenoob is obvious.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by LordPino
Actually, he started a thread in the Metal section like an hour ago, in which he bashed everyone who supported bands. Obvious ragenoob is obvious.

Well, I guess he deserved getting "bashed" with the banhammer!

Bad pun, I know
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
He's posted some legit stuff so not entirely sure if troll...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
He's posted some legit stuff so not entirely sure if troll...

Well, they went to a lot of effort to capitalise the first letter of every word...
Quote by bouttimeijoined
seriously ive been to this forum about a week and this question has been asked like 7 times.

You get used it, then most likely you will get fed up and leave MT after a few years like many others before you. Such is the circle of life Simba.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
You get used it, then most likely you will get fed up and leave MT after a few years like many others before you. Such is the circle of life Simba.

or you'll become a disillusioned liampje, destined to haunt my worst nightmares for all eternity
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by easye917
AHHhhhhh **** Another ASSholE WoRrring AboUT GrAmmAr RaThER ThEn AnSwerIng A qUESTion...whaT a WASTE of Your time..why BotheR???i BeT YoU DiD ReaLLY weLL iN sChOol bUt nOt So Much wIth The ladiEs :/ DoNt Be SuCH A MaD IndivIdUAL JuSt BecAUsE YouR a KnOw It All, PomPouS ******. does ****** have 2 g;s or One?
Ur dun........