I am looking into getting a jcm900 and a guy might be willing to trade my amp for his 100watt jcm900, how to the 100w's compare to the 50w's. I was talking to a guy at guitar center and he said you cant "push" a 100w as far as a 50w. what does that mean?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
I'm guessing what he means by that is that the 100w has more head than the 50w, so the cleans will start to break much easier on the 50w than the 100w, hence pushing it more.

The difference between a 50w and 100w is barely noticeable. Just more headroom as mentioned above.

I personally practise with a 100w JCM 900, and I love it.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Last edited by JonnyH at Jan 24, 2012,
The main difference between the 100w's and 50w's is the headroom. This means that the 100w will stay cleaner for longer/louder. Volume wise there is barely any difference.
gear
Fender highway 1 tele
v
Korg pitchblck
Zoom Uf-01
EHX Big Muff
EHX Russian Muff
Made By Mike fender blender
Mi Audio Crunch box
Malekko Ekko 616
Ibanez CS9
BYOC Flange
v
Fender 75

welsh?

FOR SALE: PEDALS
First off, what JCM900 is it? Chances are, you'll be getting the shitty end of the deal. You just got a Hiwatt. Tell me, how much did you pay for it? Most JCM900s I see go for roughly $400-500 USD used. They are a dime a dozen. What's your Hiwatt lacking that you think a 900 would give you?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
They have more headroom.

Well they have more headroom, and breakup earlier. But the actual volume difference is not that big.
Quote by FearMyLightning
They have more headroom.

Well they have more headroom, and breakup earlier. But the actual volume difference is not that big.

Does not compute.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
To turn a 100W JCM900 into a 50W JCM900 requires pulling two tubes (either the inner two or outer two) and turning the impedance selector down a notch.

Your Hiwatt is a better amp. He'd better be sweetening the deal with some cash or some other object of value or you're being taken for a ride.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by LaidBack
First off, what JCM900 is it? Chances are, you'll be getting the shitty end of the deal. You just got a Hiwatt. Tell me, how much did you pay for it? Most JCM900s I see go for roughly $400-500 USD used. They are a dime a dozen. What's your Hiwatt lacking that you think a 900 would give you?

I can't get the crunch out of it i want, i got it for 600 i am asking 750 or a jcm900 hi gain/dual reverb.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
The JCM900 gets it's crunch mostly from an inbuilt SS overdrive, op-amps and all. Why don't you just stick a decent overdrive in front of your Hiwatt? That will get you there.
Alternatively do what a friend of mine used to do. Run his Hiwatt at 10 and use an attenuator to control his volume down to drummer levels. Those things cranked up get mighty crunchy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If he says you can't push a 100 as hard as a 50 I suppose he means it in a physical way.
100 = heavier than 50 no?

common GC logic!
Use a pedal. What kind of crunch are you looking for?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I mod JCM900's so let me let you in on some things about how they work. First, look at this:
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/cd0189-iss7.gif

See those triangles? They are TL07X op-amps, just like you find in a pedal. Now look at LED 1-4. Those are the clipping diodes for channel 1, in much the same configuration as a tubescreamer. Now look at BR2 and D10. Those are the clipping diodes for channel 2.
Both channels effectively have an overdrive pedal.
"So what are all those other op-amps doing in there" I hear you ask? They are doing the job that tubes should be doing. So we are looking at a boost circuit, an FX loop driver and they even use them to control the master volume.
What you are planning on doing is replacing your amp with an inferior tube amp with a heap of crappy pedals built into it. What you should be doing is adding your own pedals and choosing good ones. You'll have a better amp and better overdrives.
Bottom line, he's scamming you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by LaidBack
Use a pedal. What kind of crunch are you looking for?

I have been using a Tubescreamer with it and its a very kind of crunch like an old school style i want something a little more modern sounding.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Try sticking a nice boost after the tubescreamer. Something like a Timmy or even an MXR 10 band EQ. Do that and you'll be doing what a JCM900 does to get its crunch - only better, much better.
You may also want to mod the tubescreamer to get more bass out of it. Swap the 0.047cap with a 0.1uF one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 24, 2012,
Or just look into getting a nice distortion pedal. Any specific tones you're looking for other than "modern"?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Or just look into getting a nice distortion pedal. Any specific tones you're looking for other than "modern"?

i kind of just want a marshall too.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
The JCM900 Dual Reverb is the amp that brought Marshall into disrepute for selling hybrids as valve amps. They are the worst flagship model they ever made.
Were you looking at a JCM800 2203 ,a DSL or even a JCM900 SL/X I could forgive you but a 4100? You've got rocks in your head. The Hiwatt is twice the amp that a 4100 is. You just have to learn how to get the most out of it.
Unmodded 4100's are crap. Even modded ones are only acceptable, not good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I mod JCM900's so let me let you in on some things about how they work. First, look at this:

See those triangles? They are TL07X op-amps, just like you find in a pedal. Now look at LED 1-4. Those are the clipping diodes for channel 1, in much the same configuration as a tubescreamer. Now look at BR2 and D10. Those are the clipping diodes for channel 2.
"So what are all those other op-amps doing in there" I hear you ask? They are doing the job that tubes should be doing. So we are looking at a boost circuit, an FX loop driver and they even use them to control the master volume.
What you are planning on doing is replacing your amp with an inferior tube amp with a heap of crappy pedals built into it. What you should be doing is adding your own pedals and choosing good ones. You'll have a better amp and better overdrives.

Listen to this man. He knows what the hell he is talking about.

Although I always wish I managed to snag a JCM900 that I found around really cheap, it's not a great amp. Get some nice pedals and don't get ripped off.
Quote by Cloudkicker
i kind of just want a marshall too.

Piss poor excuse. SOOOO many better amps out there for the price of Marshalls. And amps that do the Marshall sound better than Marshalls as well.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack

Someone offered a trade for a Laney GH100L do you know anything about them? he says its the same circuit as a jcm800 which i know is a damn good amp.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
For a GH100L, yeah. For a JCM900 4100, hell no.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Looking for modern and JCM900? Wtf you think? JCM 900 is for old school british tones. Go for ENGL. They make perfect amps. I'd prefer it to as mesa boogie dual rectifier.
Quote by phoenix_crush
I would think that it would be cooler to have a Hiwatt than a Marshall anyway

This, pretty much. I would murder someone for a Hiwatt.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Cathbard

holy crap that's a lot of op-amps and diodes

no wonder you guys were pissed when you found out what the 900 was

EDIT: yeah a laney gh is a nice amp.

what hiwatt is yours, though? if it's one of the british-built ones it's still worth more than a laney GH (though the laney is a nice amp).

and yeah as far as i'm aware, a laney gh is basically a hotrodded 800.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 24, 2012,
as far as I know that hiwatt lead 50 is a transitional era after biacrown hiwatt.

i'd trade it for a gh100l in a second.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
the trade for the Laney is much better than the JCM 900. The way the GH100 is designed is the way the 900 SHOULD have been designed.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AcousticMirror
as far as I know that hiwatt lead 50 is a transitional era after biacrown hiwatt.

i'd trade it for a gh100l in a second.

ah ok, thanks

just was making sure it wasn't one of the really sought-after ones

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by phoenix_crush
I would think that it would be cooler to have a Hiwatt than a Marshall anyway

Just to be different yes a HIwatt would be cooler.
Marshall is almost like an asshole....everybody has one.
The HIWATT is a good amp. I would get a tube driven overdrive pedal and maybe (I forget what that Boss pedal is) ...tube stack??? Whatever that "marshall" in pedal they have is. That should do ya good.

I have an old Marshall 9001 ss preamp that makes any amp sound like a Marshall. I used to have a 65 Fender Bandmaster with that in front of it. Funny looking rig but really good sounding. Had the Marshall crunch and old shcool Fender clean which I really miss. But I decided to get rid of the Fender because ...well ..it ..was old and starting to get unreliable.
Maybe the Boss pedal is just as good
What the hell!!!