I have been playing now for about a year and a half and feel it is time to step up some of my equipment. Currently, to me, my sound leaves me lacking and Id like to go for a better sound. So I have gotten a little money and I'd like to upgrade my rig. Currently here is what i have:

Bass:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Diamond-P-Custom-Electric-Bass-Guitar-105805337-i1503921.gc

Schecter Diamond P Custom

Amp:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Rumble-75-75W-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amp-105767826-i1500543.gc?esid=fender+rumble+75

Fender Rumble 75

Other:
DM Blue Steel strings, Digitek Bp90(sometimes use), BOSS GEB7, BOSS ODB3

I currently play a little rock, contemporary praise and worship(hillsong, planetshakers, jesus culture, kutless, etc), and would like to play some more funk stuff.

I dont have the money to upgrade everything, but if you were to upgrade some of this rig with my requirements what would you folks suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by mauler5858 at Jan 24, 2012,
"Better sound" is subjective. What kind of sound would you like, and/or what specifically do you find lacking in your current gear?

Also do you, or do you plan to, play with others?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I do currently play with a praise and worship group which consists of guitar, drums, and keys.

Better sound as in currently to get the volume I need my signal sounds empty and strained. I would like to have a fuller tone.
I would go with upgrading the amp personally - how much money are you looking to part with?
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
if you can run direct, carvin BX500 or 1500 would be a good choice.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Hmm, for that sort of money, I don't really see the advantage in upgrading.

Perhaps try a different brand of string? I'm currently enjoying some light gauge Overwater Nickels. It's amazing the change a new set of strings makes.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Hey dude.

Your amp already has a direct line out. So, if you use that with your praise team, you should be golden. However, 75w and a 1x12 won't do you or your band much of a service if it's your only means of moving air.

Since you do the praise team thing, you need a bit of modern clarity to your amp. Knowing that you play a bit of rock as well, i highly recommend a GK 400rb. You can either find the combo version with a 2x10... or get a separate cab (1x15 or 4x10 would be good). These sound great in both modern Praise-style stuff, but can add some grit for rock stuff.

As for the bass... you're honestly fine. But, i'm always a fan of an active 5 string in a praise setting... check out: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Deluxe-Jazz-Bass-Active-V-5-String-Bass-104383435-i1173144.gc

I'm not religious. But my step-dad is a pastor, and i LOVE playing gospel. So every now and then i'll sit in if their bassist is out. I use an active Ibanez CT 5 string (J/J set-up with a Sadowsky pre-amp), and my own GK 400rb (direct out) and a 1x15 for some stage volume.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
and for future reference, please just say what you own instead of linking to GC, I don't know about anywhere else but anyone in Australia will be redirected and told that the item isn't available in their country.

And it doesn't even tell you what the item is.

tl:dr I have no fudging clue what bass and amp you own
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
If you saved up a bit and traded, a one of those MB210 GK combos would be rather nice, add a second 2x10 for more fun.

I mean no disrespect, to you or any christian person, but I got to ask, why do most people who play christian rock, or praise seem to have rather brutal names and or avatars?
Quote by askrere

I mean no disrespect, to you or any christian person, but I got to ask, why do most people who play christian rock, or praise seem to have rather brutal names and or avatars?

The name came from being my avatar in one of my other interests which is online gaming.
Quote by gilly_90
and for future reference, please just say what you own instead of linking to GC, I don't know about anywhere else but anyone in Australia will be redirected and told that the item isn't available in their country.

And it doesn't even tell you what the item is.

tl:dr I have no fudging clue what bass and amp you own

Sorry didnt think about that........

Schecter Diamond P Custom & Fender Rumble 75
Quote by mauler5858
Also looking at some strings. I have gotten many recommendations to try DR's.

DRs are pretty much the only rounds i use.

I've heard many good things about Rotosounds, but i've actually never tried them.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Personally I use Rotosound (Nickel 40-100's). I've been through a lot of different brands and those were my favourite. DR were nice too, but they're quite expensive here compared to other brands and I can only ever find them online, and they didn't seem to last longer as they are often suggested to. My only issue with Rotosound was that they often feel a bit strange when they're freshly strung, they seem to resist a bit more than normal strings, but getting nickel rather than steel fixed that.
Not being a religious person I never really hear gospel music in the full band style. I am curious because It really does always seem to be 5 string+ actives etc. Is the Low B to replace the organs bass line? Or go with the piano? Also it seems to be a genre that requires a very modern sound, but I've also seen the traditional mandolin, banjo, guitar and upright gospel bands in a local restaurant. Is it always these two sides, or do you ever see anyone with a beatle bass and flats or other oddities?
Quote by askrere
Not being a religious person I never really hear gospel music in the full band style. I am curious because It really does always seem to be 5 string+ actives etc. Is the Low B to replace the organs bass line? Or go with the piano? Also it seems to be a genre that requires a very modern sound, but I've also seen the traditional mandolin, banjo, guitar and upright gospel bands in a local restaurant. Is it always these two sides, or do you ever see anyone with a beatle bass and flats or other oddities?

It seems to cover a wide span. My church has two bass players that alternate. One guy plays with a Fender J with actives, with effects and very busy on the neck and loads of slap. The other guy plays completely different with Ray very soulsy and very old school blues. Same songs, both sound good.....just completely different playstyles. It seems to bee whatever is fitting and sounds good on most of the songs, unless the song has a riff that it is distinct for.
I am very non-religious, but Gospel is fantastic fun to play. There is some really good music there.

And Rotosounds are great, probably the closest things to DRs, but a little stiffer, and rougher (although a lot cheaper)
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

I have the GK MB 200 head and Consecutive E did to for a while, It's small, cheap and loud. I am currently saving my pennies to get a carvin or avatar 2x10 4ohms so I can have a tiny little setup. Running it flat tends to produce some mid cut still, but I generally run it with my treble at 12, high mid at like 1-3, low mid all the way and bass at about 11-1. It really lets your basses tone through I'll say that. My flat wound mustang bass, is deep and thumpy, my round wound bronco with a low cut is bright clanky and growly.

It does not have an effects loop, but I only use Qtron, dirt, and octaver, and sometimes a chorus. they all play best I think together direct from the bass so it works for me. My only real pet peeve, is the size and light weight sometimes make it look funny, and if it's got cables running out of it, they can lift it and it'll hover, and make crackling noises if the bass cable twirls etc. Got a bit of hum, apparently people have sent it in to get fixed, but I've never had a issue with it, and any volume at all negates it. So I dunno if I warrant a fix or not.

Acoustic is something I've never owned, I've played a mini 100 watt stack a couple times in stores, and they seem like a clean stable low end. No surprises, no real disappointments; they are guitar centers house brand. I think they have a few more tone controls but nothing remarkable.
Last edited by askrere at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by askrere

Acoustic is something I've never owned, I've played a mini 100 watt stack a couple times in stores, and they seem like a clean stable low end. No surprises, no real disappointments; they are guitar centers house brand. I think they have a few more tone controls but nothing remarkable.

Remember...

Old Acoustic =/= New Guitar Center Acoustic

The old stuff is some of the best solid-state tones you will find. JPJ and Jaco are almost synonymous with the Acoustic 360/361.

The new stuff... ehhhh... i don't hate it. I should... but it's not terrible. I'm kind of indifferent to their amps (i've used them. not great.... but better then some of the Behringer stuff in the same price range). But, i do love their cabs. Since i generally use lower wattage, their minimal headroom is NEVER an issue for me. They've been nothing but tight and responsive. I guess if you have some 400w+ amp, they're a no go... but when NOTHING i own is over 300w... they're a GREAT value for their price.

My super cheap, super light weight (relative to what i COULD schlep), super good sounding set-up:
Oh I said it's guitar centers house brand, The old stuff I never see on sale used hardly and if I do it's usually mid priced but low watts, like 100ish.

Is that a GK rb400 or 800? I've seen one on sale locally and I am getting interested. How many watts at each ohmage are they? and what is that 4x10 ohms?
Quote by askrere
Oh I said it's guitar centers house brand, The old stuff I never see on sale used hardly and if I do it's usually mid priced but low watts, like 100ish.

Yeah. Still though... the "lower" wattage ratings of something like n old Acoustic 360, 370 or 450 are still going to be more than 'real world' loud enough. Watts' real-world application relative to their numbers confuse me. I've played "600w" amps that push less volume and clarity than something that's "200w". I'm even talking just SOLIDSTATE here.

Is that a GK rb400 or 800? I've seen one on sale locally and I am getting interested. How many watts at each ohmage are they? and what is that 4x10 ohms?

That pic is a 400rb. It's 240w at 4ohms. Compairatively, the 800rb is only 60 watts more, at 300. BUT, it has 2 power amps, the 300w at 4ohms, and 100w at 8ohms.

I use the 800rb more for louder gigs. But honestly, that never really happens any more. I can power an Ampeg 8x10 with my 400rb, and it sounds phenomenal. It's also lighter. So these days i gig my 400rb more than anything else.

The Acoustic B410 is 400w. I love it. It's light, and it's super responsive. It has a tweeter that i never use. Like i said, i don't like amps much over 300ish watts, so the B410 is great.

High watts are for people that want gig-volume out of, say, a 2x10. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm fortunate enough that i'm still in good enough shape that if i need more VOLUME, i can haul an 8x10, or 4x10 + 1x15. To me, there's something more visceral to adding speakers to make volume over adding watts.
There is a 400RB in a pawnshop in town, it's pretty roadworn looking, I didn't get to try it yet. It even says "worn" on the price tag which seemed funny for a pawn shop, where they usually act like everything is perfect. I forget the price but it was in the mid to high $200's what do you think is a good price? Also do they come standard with a handle or did someone add it? It's got no clearance so I can barely get past my first knuckle. And is that acoustic 4x10 4 ohms?

I still want to get a carvin 2x10 I think for my GK mini head though, for a tiny bronco/mustang setup. Unless I like the 400rb enough to ditch the mini head which isn't "that" much smaller to really matter really.

No one I've played with has had more than a 40 watt tube amp, and I out matched him with my old Fender BXR 200 (put out to pasture).

my dream at the moment though, would be to get a couple Kustom 4x10 cabs in the tower style over box and use my 60/60 tube amp.
FYI, I went with the B410 and the GK MB200 head. Cant wait till they get here.
Have some fun with that, I've run mine through a 1x15 or 2 1x15's stacked. Has quite a sound, I really want to get a Sansamp Bass Driver in addition to my pedal board, So I can have that for standalone micro SVT/grit sounds.

If the cab is 8 ohms, might look up a tutorial on rewiring it to 4 ohms if possible.
I think the 400rb is WORTH $200, totally... but you can find better prices. Shoot, my 800rb was $260. I only paid $75 for my 400rb.

TEST IT if you can. Also, is it an older model with an attached power cord, or newer with a detachable one? Does it include a foot switch?

Mine was so cheap because it has some spray-paint on it, no foot switch, and one of the rubber feet broke off... NONE of that has anything to do with the amp itself, so i really made out like an effing bandit.

The B410 is 400w at 8 ohms.
By the way, I got the B410 barely used for $150US. 30day guarantee from guitar center.
So on the 8 vs 4 ohm, the 200MB head will push 140 watts to this 8 ohm cabinet. This is fine for right this second. It also gives me the headroom where I can hook up another 8ohm cabinet and get the full 200 watt @ 8ohm rating.

I see where people are doing this, but how would I go about hooking up two cabinets to this single output on the GK 200MB?
You will need a speakon cable. At leastfor the head side, mine goes into the 1/4 jack of my 15" then a second jack 1/4" - 1/4" goes from it to the next cab. More volume and headroom, alone 140 watts is more than enough, the drummer i play with is wayyyyy toooo loud so its not enough to play with him, problem is he can't hear me, but doesnt catch a clue it might be his fault...
So, daisy-chaining the cabs essentially....but the speakon tip is required on the head end then.