My guitar doesn't (and probably can't) have a Floyd Rose and, unfortunately, alot of the guitar greats tend to use Floyd Roses.
I'd say I'm pretty decent on the guitar. I can play YYZ pretty smoothly.

So, does anybody know any guitarists that don't really use Floyd Roses, or anything where there is alot of whammying involved (My guitar will got out of tune quite quickly).
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
no, almost none of the guitar greats use a floyd rose often at all
modes are a social construct
Segovia, Villa-Lobos, Johnson, Hendrix, Dufour, Frusciante, Bonamassa, etc. I don't think a single on 'my' greats list uses a floyd.
In fact, I can't think of any guitar players that use one that I really consider great except Vai.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Hardly any songs "need" a Floyd rose - even if they do a lot of the time you can get away with doing something else.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The Floyd-Rose went on sale in 1979, so any song recorded before then is pretty much guaranteed not to have a Floyd-Rose on.
Hendrix actually uses a whammy bar, but not a Floyd Rose. Jimi used the whammy bar for little pitch shifting.
No wonder that Joe Bonamassa doesn't use a whammy bar - He's playing with a Gibson Les Paul!

Actually, that is the answer for you - once a guitarist puts the Floyd Rose's bar on his/her guitar it guaranteed that the Floyd Rose will be used anyway...
Just avoid Motley Crue songs (unless your pick scraps sounds good as Mick Mars' dive bombs) and search for people with Gibson's guitars like Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page, Zakk Wylde, etc...
Oh! and there is always Marty Friedman that used to play with Jackson Kellys but he's playing PRS guitars now and he never really did any usage of a whammy bar (as far as I know...)

Edit: A lot of Floyd Rose whammying are so Dimebag Darrell (RIP), he's incredible in that!
Dukey Uses & Abuses:

A Jackson Kelly, A Gibson Les Paul, 2 Fender amps,An Ibanez bass, A Digitech RP350
Last edited by Dukey at Jan 24, 2012,
You never need a Floyd Rose. ever.

/thread

On a serious note, it's just a tool to create something otherwise hard to achieve. You can bend your neck for mini dive bombs. The only instances I can think of you need one is to do Steve Vai styled riffs with all those cool little noises and to simulate a slide guitar but that can be done on a regular fender tremolo.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Segovia, Villa-Lobos, Johnson, Hendrix, Dufour, Frusciante, Bonamassa, etc. I don't think a single on 'my' greats list uses a floyd.
In fact, I can't think of any guitar players that use one that I really consider great except Vai.

Gary Moore ?

Satriani ?
Quote by Dukey
Hendrix actually uses a whammy bar, but not a Floyd Rose. Jimi used the whammy bar for little pitch shifting.
No wonder that Joe Bonamassa doesn't use a whammy bar - He's playing with a Gibson Les Paul!

Actually, that is the answer for you - once a guitarist puts the Floyd Rose's bar on his/her guitar it guaranteed that the Floyd Rose will be used anyway...
Just avoid Motley Crue songs (unless your pick scraps sounds good as Mick Mars' dive bombs) and search for people with Gibson's guitars like Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page, Zakk Wylde, etc...
Oh! and there is always Marty Friedman that used to play with Jackson Kellys but he's playing PRS guitars now and he never really did any usage of a whammy bar (as far as I know...)

Edit: A lot of Floyd Rose whammying are so Dimebag Darrell (RIP), he's incredible in that!

Hendrix was also never in tune, nor did he use a floyd so that goes along with everything that TS said. And Bonamassa frequents a strat as well.

Quote by mrbabo91
Gary Moore ?

Satriani ?

I never listen to either of them so I couldn't really make a judgement. That being said, I should probably add them to my 'list' of people that do use floyds.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I never listen to either of them so I couldn't really make a judgement. That being said, I should probably add them to my 'list' of people that do use floyds.

You should definitely give gary moore a listen, if you like guys like hendrix and frusciante then moore will blow you away. Satch also
Unless you're planing on playing Steve Vai, Mattias Eklundh, or Dragonforce, you don't actually 'need' any trem bar, let alone a Floyd Rose. They're helpful tools, but not necessary at all. I didn't get my first tremolo bar until over 7 years after I started playing. I didn't have much of a problem without one.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by steven seagull
Hardly any songs "need" a Floyd rose - even if they do a lot of the time you can get away with doing something else.

This.

I'm pretty sure Eddie uses a FR but I could be wrong.
Quote by mrbabo91
You should definitely give gary moore a listen, if you like guys like hendrix and frusciante then moore will blow you away. Satch also

Eh, I don't really like Hendrix or Frusciante that much. As far as pop guitarists go I like Frusciante but other than that he's not really one of my favorites. I've never been a fan of ridiculously overdone solos, however impressive they may be.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Crazyedd123
My guitar doesn't (and probably can't) have a Floyd Rose and, unfortunately, alot of the guitar greats tend to use Floyd Roses.

So, does anybody know any guitarists that don't really use Floyd Roses, or anything where there is alot of whammying involved (My guitar will got out of tune quite quickly).
What do you mean? There's a lot of guitarists who don't use Floyd Roses and you don't actually "need" it. I don't really understand why you started this thread, do you even know some guitarists?
Quote by Crazyedd123

Your falsely assuming that you need a Floyd to stay in tune. Guitars go out of tune in 99% of the time because;

First and foremost, the string is binding in the nut, either because it is not channeled correctly to the proper size of the strings, or is not made out of a hard material. A prescisly cut nut and the use of graphite takes care of the problem.

Strings - because of being improperly stretched when first put on, or old strings. The accumulation of dirt, oil, and dead skin from your fingers also will affect a strings pitch. Do your own experiment, play for half an hour, then measure the pitch using a tuning meter on your first or second string, now use a cloth and wipe the strings, being sure to get the underneath them, measuring the pitch again and you will see a noticeable change.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Assuming you mean the whammy bar when you say "floyd Rose" I can think of a few off the top of my head:
Steve Vai
Dimebag
Jimi Hendrix
Carlos Santana

To name a few, each use it to a different degree and style but all of them make use of it.

IMO I think it's handy to have a whammy bar, it's another weapon in your arsenal that you can make use of and shouldn't be ignored.
Zakk Wylde ( on his les pauls), Gus G. ( No more), Les Paul himself, Mick Thompson, Slash etc.

None use trems.
Quote by BlackbirdPie
Your falsely assuming that you need a Floyd to stay in tune. Guitars go out of tune in 99% of the time because;

i think he meant that his guitar goes badly out of tune when he tries to simulate a "whammy trick", probably by playing with his tuning keys or something. your points are valid though.

also, a tremol-no+OFR=never tuning again, it's like night and day.
modes are a social construct