What it be stupid to? Is it like trying to upgrade an Epiphone to a Gibson?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Eh?
Why would it be stupid? If there's something you don't like about the guitar, give it a try
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
depends on what you expect. if its a good epiphone that didn't cost a lot you could make it a lovely instrument for a set of new pickups and dont expect it to be a gibson.

If your PRS se is a good guitar but would be better with some new pickups then it would be worth spending some money on some new pickups. its when you start getting into overlap territory that things get complicated. for instance an se + new pups wont equate to the price of a higher level PRS. If you want new hardware on the whole thing, start replacing the wiring, pots switch, jack, tuners, want a genuine floyd instead of a licensed one etc then your getting into the market of if I sell my SE and dont buy all this new stuff I can afford a good PRS.
yh, just do pickups, then that way if you ever get a better guitar, you can always move the pickups into the new axe. Don't go too crazy with the hardware like cornishrob said - otherwise you could end up in lower end PRS money.
Thanks, I have upgraded the pickups. Would getting a volume knob for each pickup be a good idea?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
It's the same with any brand. A £400 guitar is never going to match up to a £2000 one no matter what you upgrade. You can't upgrade the body and neck wood and you can't upgrade the construction and these are the two most important and defining elements of an electric guitar.

That's not to say a PRS SE can't be a decent guitar, nor that upgrading it is pointless. But a lot of people do upgrade Epiphones thinking it will put them on par with Gibsons, which never works out, and if you were thinking of doing the same to a PRS SE to get it on par with a 'full' PRS then you're going to be very disappointed.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
well wait. ive seen used SEs go used for 350. you have a lot of wiggle room before you hit USA PRS territory. same goes for epihpone.

i think SEs are a steal. my biggest gripe is there is not 4 knobs. i love that layout on a gibson. blending 2 pickups with 2 volumes and 2 tones is GENIUS! its kinda like fender with 3 pups, 2 tones, and a 5 way.

classic layout that rocks.
Quote by ikey_
well wait. ive seen used SEs go used for 350. you have a lot of wiggle room before you hit USA PRS territory. same goes for epihpone.

i think SEs are a steal. my biggest gripe is there is not 4 knobs. i love that layout on a gibson. blending 2 pickups with 2 volumes and 2 tones is GENIUS! its kinda like fender with 3 pups, 2 tones, and a 5 way.

classic layout that rocks.

But then i went crazy and slapped 2 P-90's that appeared savage out of nowhere into my telecaster and made a layout just a like a Les Paul and it's even more GENIUS!

On other hand, if you like how the guitar feels and holds up then i say it's always good to upgrade the pickups and the electronics inside, don't forget to also re-shield the cavities to help suppress unwanted noise there mate
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by MrFlibble
It's the same with any brand. A £400 guitar is never going to match up to a £2000 one no matter what you upgrade. You can't upgrade the body and neck wood and you can't upgrade the construction and these are the two most important and defining elements of an electric guitar.

That's not to say a PRS SE can't be a decent guitar, nor that upgrading it is pointless. But a lot of people do upgrade Epiphones thinking it will put them on par with Gibsons, which never works out, and if you were thinking of doing the same to a PRS SE to get it on par with a 'full' PRS then you're going to be very disappointed.

+1

(excepting of course good deals, good value guitars etc.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Depends on wood quality and playability. If the base guitar that you start with is made of good wood and plays well, it is well worth it to upgrade. But if you end up spending enough that you could get a much higher end guitar, no.