So I have an opportunity to get an Axe FX Ultra at a really good price. I am considering it but I have a question. The few times I've heard someone use it, it has sounded amazing. It sounds pretty amazing in all the clips I have heard also. But in most reviews/clips people are using it direct in to their recording software, or in live situations they are using it through the PA. Does anyone have any experience pairing it up with a tube power amp and using that to run a 4X12? If I bought it that is how I would want to use it it, but I want to know how it compares to just using a tube head. With the right settings going through a 4x12 cab will it still have the bottom end a tube amp has, will it cut through the mix and in a live band situation with an engl fireball being used by my other guitarist? Any opinions and experiences would be great.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
I know it isn't what you are asking, but running it through a power amp and through a guitar cabinet kinda defeats the purpose of having and using the Axe-Fx.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
No it wouldnt buddy. It would help amplify it wonderfully if the power amp is a decent one and the cab is also worth while.

Quote by guitarguychris1
So I have an opportunity to get an Axe FX Ultra at a really good price. I am considering it but I have a question. The few times I've heard someone use it, it has sounded amazing. It sounds pretty amazing in all the clips I have heard also. But in most reviews/clips people are using it direct in to their recording software, or in live situations they are using it through the PA. Does anyone have any experience pairing it up with a tube power amp and using that to run a 4X12? If I bought it that is how I would want to use it it, but I want to know how it compares to just using a tube head. With the right settings going through a 4x12 cab will it still have the bottom end a tube amp has, will it cut through the mix and in a live band situation with an engl fireball being used by my other guitarist? Any opinions and experiences would be great.

It would be fine, as long as everything else in your signal chain is of similar quality.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
It would be fine, as long as everything else in your signal chain is of similar quality.

I have to agree with this. If this is the route you want to go, don't cheap out on the power amp and cab.

I've considered a power amp and cab myself, but sadly, it wouldn't get used the way it was intended. I'm not a gig kinda guy.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by flashmdg
anything will cut through next to an engl fireball!!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by lemurflames
I know it isn't what you are asking, but running it through a power amp and through a guitar cabinet kinda defeats the purpose of having and using the Axe-Fx.

Not really. Because for my purposes I want to use it as kind of an all in one amp/effects instead of amp head and pedal board with mulitple pedals, while having more options for tone than a standard guitar head would have.
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by guitarguychris1
Not really. Because for my purposes I want to use it as kind of an all in one amp/effects instead of amp head and pedal board with mulitple pedals, while having more options for tone than a standard guitar head would have.

Right up your alley then. Just make sure you get a good cab and power amp for it. Did you have a particular cab in mind?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I also have an oportunity to get a peavey classic 50 50 power amp at a good price. So That is the route I was thinking of going, but I am new to rack units so I am just trying to get some opinions. I've heard some good reviews about using the classic 50 50 with the axe fx.
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Last edited by guitarguychris1 at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by lemurflames
Right up your alley then. Just make sure you get a good cab and power amp for it. Did you have a particular cab in mind?

I'd be using the same cab I am using in my setup now. The Blackheart BH412 which is a pretty killer sounding cab.
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Itll be fine but i think the best way to go, is axe into the PA and into a powered monitor like a QSC K12 or the JBL prx612m. Both have very flat response so no tonal colouration and are lightwieght with 1000w solid state poweramps. Which is probably more than enough to gig with.

It allows you to use poweramp and cab modelling too becase of the flat response.

Im actually thinking o maybe an axefx and id opt for this route

And each of those speakers new cost a little over what a good tube poweramp costs used (like a mesa 2:90)
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by Seanthesheep
Itll be fine but i think the best way to go, is axe into the PA and into a powered monitor like a QSC K12 or the JBL prx612m. Both have very flat response so no tonal colouration and are lightwieght with 1000w solid state poweramps. Which is probably more than enough to gig with.

It allows you to use poweramp and cab modelling too becase of the flat response.

Im actually thinking o maybe an axefx and id opt for this route

And each of those speakers new cost a little over what a good tube poweramp costs used (like a mesa 2:90)

This is probably the more convenient option for gigging. However, playing through a tube poweramp and a cab (real ones) will feel more like playing through a real amp, because... that's what you're doing, practically.
Quote by fc89konkari
This is probably the more convenient option for gigging. However, playing through a tube poweramp and a cab (real ones) will feel more like playing through a real amp, because... that's what you're doing, practically.

Thats what I want. I'm not so concerned with convenience gigging because honestly I don't think that would be any more convenient. Half of the places I play the sound guy barely knows what he is doing, and to ask him to perfectly blend that though the PA while giving me enough in my monitor to hear myself seems like it would be asking alot of some of these guys lol. I like having that 4x12 pumping behind me. I'm not looking for a more convenient option than a normal tube head and cab, I'm looking for something that works the same way with more tonal options.
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Last edited by guitarguychris1 at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by lemurflames

An Axe will only sound as good as what its being run through. Axe>Good quality SS/Tube poweramp>>>>>>>>>>bad SS/Tube poweramp. The Axe can cope perfectly well with both. Its strength lies in that you can simultaneously use both- run a signal minus poweramp and cab modelling to real poweramp and cab for your own FoH while running another signal with poweramp abnd cab modelling to PA.

Quote by flashmdg
anything will cut through next to an engl powerball!!

Fixed.

Mind, even a Powerball can cut through just fine if you get out of the scooped mid mentality and crank the mids, though there are amps that cut better.
I actually really like the Axe FX through a solid state power amp. They sound great with the VHT/Fryette power amps, but those are pretty expensive. Surprisingly enough, they sound pretty awesome through the ART SLA series, which are under $300.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by GS LEAD 5
An Axe will only sound as good as what its being run through. Axe>Good quality SS/Tube poweramp>>>>>>>>>>bad SS/Tube poweramp. The Axe can cope perfectly well with both. Its strength lies in that you can simultaneously use both- run a signal minus poweramp and cab modelling to real poweramp and cab for your own FoH while running another signal with poweramp abnd cab modelling to PA.

Stop trying to sell me an Axe. I can't afford it, dammit!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2