My band recently recorded a cover of Tesseract's "Deception", but a half step down (Drop A instead of Drop A# or whatever weird tuning they use with a low A#) and it sounds much more dissonant, or sadder, or moodier, or I dunno how to describe it, it basically sounds a lot more dark than the original.

Any reason behind this? Cause unless im badly wrong, the song should sound similar so long as the intervals themselves are correct right?
its just how we perceive lower notes compared to higher ones, the benny hill theme in drop A would sound pretty dark and dissonant too.
Because it's lower?
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
its probably because your soo used to the version in A#
-Ernie Ball Music Man JP6
-Ibanez UV777
-Fender Lonestar Deluxe
-Ibanez GRG 270b
-Yamaha F350
-Ibanez AE105TY

-Bugera 6262 head
-Bugera 212 cab
-Marshall Valvestate 8040

-Line 6 pod x3 live
-Line 6 guitarport
-Vox Ice 9 Overdrive
afaik tesseract uses a tuning based on kashmir, where the highest string is downtuned as well.

basically, it's double drop bb with an extra eb on top (bb f# bb eb f bb eb)

sometimes they drop to ab as well

maybe the cover just ****ed up the intervals in the tuning
modes are a social construct
Last edited by Hail at Jan 24, 2012,
Maybe it's because the cover of the song is played slower.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Hail
afaik tesseract uses a tuning based on kashmir, where the highest string is downtuned as well.

basically, it's double drop bb with an extra eb on top (bb f# bb eb f bb eb)

sometimes they drop to ab as well

maybe the cover just ****ed up the intervals in the tuning

Na, thats for Acceptance. I double checked. Deception is plain Drop A#

Quote by AlanHB
Maybe it's because the cover of the song is played slower.

Nope drums were drumkit from hell

So basically going lower makes it sound darker?
Well downtuning lowers the string tension which alters the sound a little, like it can sound a bit heavier etc. I'm surprised A#-A makes much difference though, since it's very low already. Of course there are bound to be other differences in your cover which might have had an effect on how it sounded.

Quote by rickyj
its just how we perceive lower notes compared to higher ones, the benny hill theme in drop A would sound pretty dark and dissonant too.

Actually it's been scientifically proven that the Benny Hill theme will always sound hilarious, see this video for proof...
http://youtu.be/8-jcDRFId68
Why would you want to tune even lower?! It's so much hassle!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Yes, tuning lower makes it sound darker. Why else would bands tune so low? Gear responds differently to different frequencies. I can play a riff on my 6 string through a 5150 and get it to sound distorted and heavy. Now if I play that riff an octave lower on my 8 string (tuned to Drop E, yes, drop E) it's sure as hell gonna sound darker. The amp is also going to respond differently, a lot more growling and roaring in the notes than the higher tuned version.

It might just be that you're used to the A# version, it might be your gear responding a bit differently at the lower tuning (also tighter strings can help against this too. That is if you want to stop it, I think it sounds pretty awesome).